Problem see on leaves - newbie

DPeter2101

Hi all, I need a little assistance. As it states I'm new at this and (now don't laugh or bash please) I'm using an Aerogarden. My wife received two for Christmas so I decided to mess around with one of them. The issue I'm having is that on one of my two plants the leaves are getting yellow edges and some burnt tips. Reading up on posting it says to supply as mush info as possible so, I do my best.

• What Strain is it? Not sure. The seeds were given to me.
  • Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? I believe its IndicaHow Many Plants? Two
  • Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Vegetative
  • If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? About 36 days since the seeds sprouted
  • Indoor or Outdoor? Indoors
  • Soil or Hydro? Hydro
  • If Hydro, Reservoir size? I believe its one gallon.
  • If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? 80F
  • If Hydro, what type of Medium? RockWool but most of the roots are in the reservoir
  • If Hydro, what type of Setup? Aerogarden
  • Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 125w CFL
  • Is it Air Cooled? No
  • Temperature of Room/Cabinet? House is around 75F
  • RH of Room/Cabinet? Not sure what RH is
  • PH of Medium or Reservoir? I don't have a PH tester. I'll pick one up tomorrow.
  • Any Pests? No
  • How often are you watering? The Aerogarden is set to water 24X7. Its setup for Veg's
  • Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? I'm using Dyna-Gro 7-9-5. (Started at ½ tsp per gallon went to ¼ tsp per gallon.
  • Size or Square Footage of Room? Room is 12x12.

So, let me give a little history on my experience so far. As I said this started with me just messing around. Not much concern if I was doing it right or not. I germinated the seeds between wet paper towels and once I saw a small root I put them in the Aerogarden cups filled with Rockwool. My nutrition's were mixed at ½ tsp per gallon. I think that was too much because as soon as the leaves started they burned. I thought I'd lost them before I even got started. Funny thing though, the two plants can back but with two main shoots on each plant. I guess that worked out.
The second batch of nutrition I made up was from Aerogarden. The direction said to mix two of the little pack to one gallon of water. I just ran out of that and made a batch using the Dyna-Gro again. This time I mixed it at ¼ tsp to a gallon of tap water.
By the way, until Friday these two plants were grown using the lighting system that came with the Aerogarden Ultra. Three lights. I just went and bought a FluoroWing Light System 125W CFL. I was worried about enough light and the limitations on height.
I had some burnt tips before the light change but I've seen a big change since I changed them. However, it's only on one of the two. I'll try to upload some photos.
I would appreciate any guidance you may be able to provide. Started out just playing around but now I want this two to do well.
IMG_12898.JPG

IMG_128612.JPG

IMG_128713.JPG

Thanks for any help.

Dpeter2101

I forgot to mention one item. As I read more and more I see that most people flush their reservoir. I have never done this. Did not know I should and now that I do, I’m not sure precisely what to do. As the Aerogarden reservoir houses the root system do I just poor out the contents and rinse? After that do I just refill it with my regular mixture of Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 at 1/4 tsp per gallon? Thanks again.

Yeah you just change out the res. Empty it then put in new nutes. You will only need to do it about 1 time per month in my experience. However keep in mind that plants drink up the water pretty fast the bigger they get so they can easily drink up everything in that res quickly.

If the water levels are dropping some, I suggest adding water with about 1/4 strength nutes in it. As for how much nutes to use just go with the directions on the bottle. Or slightly less then they suggest.

But heres one problem i see. Your nutes levels are really out of whack 7-9-5 isnt suitable for flower or veg. That abundance of Phosphorous is whats cause the burn and the yellow on that one plant, I bet the other could follow soon too.

Get yourself some proper veg nutes, then a separate bloom nute. Dynagro is a ok company, its just that specific nute you got is not fit for mary jane.

a good rule of thumb is to put your hand right on top of your plant. if it feels hot then the light is too close, if it feels fine then the light is fine.

With CFL lights can basically be a half inch away from the plant and be ok.

Thanks for the information!... I flushed the res and the plant started to look better right away. I decided to go to 12/12 so I went to Dyna-Gro Bloom 3-12-6. Is this any better or should I get something else? If so, do you have a suggestion?

Back
Top Bottom