Problem with a outlet fan

Kiiwi

I have a 230v/0.12A fan i'm planning to apply to my growroom.

Now here's the problem: I need to power this fan up and i do not have a cpu power supply, i've already tried out various phone and other battery operated chargers (from 3,xV - 12V) and it seems it's not enough.

Can i just strip a basic electric cable, connect the fan to the other end and stick in to the socket? Will the fan explode in a HUGE fireball, tearing down half the block???

#1 rule of any grow op is safety first!! If you are not sure, take the fan to someone locally that can help you get it wired. If that is not an option I think you should just buy a new fan that is pre wired and better suited to your application. With all the electricity running around any grow, do you really want to have to worry about a little fan? Good luck my friend, and safety first!

#1 rule of any grow op is safety first!! If you are not sure, take the fan to someone locally that can help you get it wired. If that is not an option I think you should just buy a new fan that is pre wired and better suited to your application. With all the electricity running around any grow, do you really want to have to worry about a little fan? Good luck my friend, and safety first!

100% correct. Last thing any grower needs is the police or fire department at their home over a small fan that you could get for $10.

I don't think you need a power supply for a 230v fan. electrical equipment is made to run +- 10% so 240 volts from you elec panel would be fine as long as it needs AC and not DC (cant see it needing DC). this would require 2 pole breaker and wire. I wouldn't just plug it in to socket/ powerstrip they are 120V. you may be able to hook it up to 120 volts depending on type of motor but it would require rewiring motor coils which is easier for me to do the to instruct. my advise is to get another fan

Now here's the problem: I need to power this fan up and i do not have a cpu power supply, i've already tried out various phone and other battery operated chargers (from 3,xV - 12V) and it seems it's not enough.

Can i just strip a basic electric cable, connect the fan to the other end and stick in to the socket? Will the fan explode in a HUGE fireball, tearing down half the block???

OMG! Dude, I don' know where you are located but if you are in the US, the common power at the wall is 120 Volts, 1/2 of what you need to power that fan. Please don't take offense but if you attempted to run it off a CPU power supply, your not understanding electricity and should not attempt to wire this fan. Either get someone who know what they are doing or listen to the people here and get a different fan, one that is supposed to use 110V.

230v from wall is basic in europe. Problem solved, just plugged it in, works fine, had to extend the wires a bit tho' but works fine!

Glad to see you didn't blow half the block up, lol !!

Back
Top Bottom