Problems with my seedlings

MrWigles

Okay so I have been tryin to germinate my seedlings for some time now. 1 week lol. The first 5 only one cracked open & sprouted a taproot about 1/4inch. These seeds are very very small compared to the ones I have had before. So I assumed that was all that was coming out lol I immediately put the germinated seed into my promix bx Wednesday morning it's also in a humidity dome. And it's Monday now.. Still nothing! Just 48 hours ago I tried 5more .. I got one out of the 5 to crack its still in the paper towel as the taproot is only about 1mm long. I'm leaving it in the paper towel until it grows about an inch or close to it this time. I got my pots on a heating pad it's very warm 28degrees in there. Is the promix bx no good for this?

You might try soakng the seed in a 1% bleach/water solution for 30 min. Rinse and soak in plain water for 12-24 hours, just trying to presoak them. Then plant in your medium in a solo cup or something and soak the medium well. Make sure there's a lot of drainage holes. Slide a plastic bag loosely over the cup and wait a couple days.

Maybe the smaller seeds are more susceptible to disease. You may consider adding about 20% coarse perlite to your mix. You want the mix wet, but not holding tons of water. The new roots need to breathe.

Some people also say that growing the tap root out long before planting actually lowers the chance of success, though many people do it.

I had some problems sprouting some really old seeds a while back and when i lowered temps down a bunch popped up. you might ry lowering temps a bit...can hurt if they aren't working.

I have read about smaller seeds from feminized seeds. Maybe you got some of those? I have only run one type of fem and they were a little bit smaller.

Thanks everyone! I got some news.. And I need advice! I got impatient today and decided to open 2 of them up. One I planted in a peat jiffy pod. The root is almost at the bottom of the pod.. The bottom of the pod broke when splitting the pod in half so I put it into its 4inch container as is with the root sticking out. Covered lightly with soil on the sides and watered it with 2 shot glasses of r o water. To get rid of any air in the soil.. So that one looks promising!!! I should have left that one.. The other one that i dug up was started directly into the promix bx. It has its first set of leaves under ground and the root grew upwards, turning the root and the leaves into a U... I immediately grabbed my spray bottle and sprayed the seedling and cleaned it from the dirt and placed it into a wet paper towel in hopes of the root and leaves to grow apart.. This tap root is only 1/4inch long and the leaves are 1/4inch also.. It looks really weird and I am very nervous. Did I do the right thing?

O i forgot to mention, The one that was in the promix bx , had the shell on it still so I gently removed it.. But it pretty much fell off ..

Back away from the seedling, sit on your hands and quit messing with them. The number one cause of seedling death is new growers constantly touching them and checking them. Seedlings grow, when seedlings grow. Checking on them is only going to disturb there footing as it were. They use the surrounding dirt to support themselves as they search for light even having the seed on them unless they are standing straight up and ready to start day one don't touch them even then they don't really need your help. Just keep the soil averagely wet I prefer to bottom water my seedling where you dunk the pot into a jug of water slowly so that the top of the soil and seedling are not disturbed at all. By jiffy pod do you mean the pellets or the pots?

Peat pellet yes. & I didn't bother them all, I got 10 I just wante to see what was happening under the soil. But the one I put in promix bx that grew into a U, was very yellow. Root and leaves.. I think it was or still is going to die. I now think I will start all my seedlings In peat pellets.. The growth of that one is awesome. The tap root is like hAlf a cm thick. In that one that I opened lol... And it didn't pop threw the soil yet it's also about 2 & a half inches long. If I didn't destroy it... She will be popping threw the soil tonight :) lights on!

Back
Top Bottom