Prof's Lab: Diary Of A Bedroom Farmer

Not all seeds will develop a tail from water. You are trying to get them to crack and then into the paper towel. The seed has to buildup moisture to crack and placing in the water for 24-48 hours typically does this. Then you want to go into a paper towel or the media at that point.
Thanks MrS. I think they have all cracked so I best get planting this evening. Do you know how long seeds can stay in water before they drown or go mouldy?

Thanks MrS. I think they have all cracked so I best get planting this evening. Do you know how long seeds can stay in water before they drown or go mouldy?
I just read an article on it but never bookmarked it. It stated up to two weeks before the root will rot out. Most articles state 24-36 hours. Personally the longest I waited was a week and it never cracked. I'll dig around and see if I can stumble across it again.

I just read an article on it but never bookmarked it. It stated up to two weeks before the root will rot out. Most articles state 24-36 hours. Personally the longest I waited was a week and it never cracked. I'll dig around and see if I can stumble across it again.
Was it this one?

Sounds interesting.

I planted the 3 seeds, 2 of which had tails, into some potting soil for the outdoor grow. I have yet to plant Lewy's beans which will be going into coco. I will hopefully do that in the morning. One of them has a tail now as well.

I have a question for all this evening concerning the Crumbled Lime. Basically I want to flower her in the next couple of days when I get the next round started. The problem is that she is really tall compared to the rest of the plants which she will be sharing a tent with. I wanted to know if I could plant her deep in the pot when I transplant shortly? I mean right at the bottom deep. Will roots grow out from the stem in time to benefit the plant? Will she get wet feet from having the main root mass so low down? Here are some pics....
DSC03095.JPG

As you can see she has a bit of a stem to her and will end up with a good head start. She has been monster-cropped as well so I expect her to take off....
DSC03096.JPG

I want to stick her into this 5ltr pot but right at the bottom like this....
DSC03101.JPG
DSC03102.JPG

Then I just fill up the pot with coco and hope for the best. I want her to start a little lower down....
DSC03103.JPG

Otherwise shell be right up here....
DSC03104.JPG

She has a good set of roots on her though she needs transplanting to a bigger pot ASAP....
DSC03097.JPG
DSC03098.JPG

She will be sharing the tent with however many female Malana's there are. More on those in a second.

These things are quite shabby but growing like crazy. I expect them to get pretty tall which is why I decided to put the Crumbled Lime in with them....
DSC03106.JPG
DSC03116.JPG

My favourite which is a beast. It stands out like a sore thumb next to her siblings....
DSC03107.JPG
DSC03114.JPG

These are all quite similar though there are plenty of little differences....
DSC03108.JPG
DSC03109.JPG

They have all been topped and one was fimmed....
DSC03113.JPG
DSC03112.JPG
DSC03111.JPG
DSC03110.JPG

I'm really looking forward to flowering these. It is going to be carnage lol

Was it this one?
No it was off another site... like a university or something like that.

As for planting deep here's my thinking and it's probably wrong. I'm not sure if the plant continues making roots when it's flipped. I don't even know if you'd get rot in the 6-8 weeks to flower. Really I can't help you. :cheesygrinsmiley:

No it was off another site... like a university or something like that.

As for planting deep here's my thinking and it's probably wrong. I'm not sure if the plant continues making roots when it's flipped. I don't even know if you'd get rot in the 6-8 weeks to flower. Really I can't help you. :cheesygrinsmiley:
At least you're honest. I know that plants grow roots very rapidly for the first few weeks during the flowering stretch but I'm wondering if roots will grow from the main stem during that time. She is going to drink a lot I think so maybe they won't rot at all. I only fill the tray up about an inch at a time so its not like it will be fully submerging the root mass. I feel an experiment coming on.

For science! Bottom feed might be the solution like you said so the main stem isn't sitting in a wet media.
But maybe the main stem should be sitting in wet media. Like when people plant tomatoes deep to get a larger root system more quickly. The difference between this plant and a tomato plant is that this one won't have anywhere near as long to establish itself before the roots stop growing and the plant focuses its energy on flower production. It would definitely work in an outdoor environment if you planted early in the year. For science!

Omg try it!!! :ganjamon:
We will be doing something but I have just changed my mind on the 5ltr plastic pot. I'm thinking that one of my 11ltr fabric pots will be better as it is wider at the bottom and will eliminate the root circling which I'm sure will be an issue. After I harvest the other tent I will get to see what state the roots are in with the current bottom fed plastic pots. The plants are all fine so no matter how bad the root zone is we still have nice healthy plants.

CRUMBLED LIME
STRAIN REVIEW

Hey 420. Here is my review of the Crumbled Lime from Karma Squad. The Crumbled Lime is a sativa dominant hybrid and is a collaborative strain created with Cannarado Genetics. It is a Biker Kush x Citron Cookies. I had two plants with two very different appearances. The Crumbled Lime is only available in regular form.

Growth, Structure and Appearance

The first thing I noticed with these was how quickly they germinated. I dropped them into some soil and within 3 days both were standing tall. From there they just grew with and after a couple of weeks it became apparent that they would both be quite different.
The first was short and stocky with growth coming out all over the place. It looked like a classic indica bush and had so many leaves that it was hard to see just what was going on. The side branching was fast, strong and even dominated some of the main branches which were very thick and squat. It began growing outwards and needed several good clippings before it was finally flowered. If it wasn't for the shape of the leaves then I would have said that it could have been a 100% indica variety. It was a very nice plant to work with and despite being a dense bush it was still easy to clean up as the leaves had very long stems, some being more than 6 inches.
The second plant was tall and grew straight up. It was quicker to respond to training and had much more stem on show. This one was even easier to tidy up. At first I thought that she would be a little leggy or have large gaps between nodes but they soon closed up after flowering was initiated. This one felt like a Cookies plant whereas the first had a short OG Kush feel to her. The leaves were more sativa than the first and had a light green colour which stayed right to the end. Both plants had the same colours to begin with but then they diverged as the flowering period went on.
To start with they both had a light and bright green which was healthy and did feel a little like "lime". They were both fast and feed very well. There was hardly a scuff on them throughout their lives so I would say that they were quite tough and easy to grow. Both felt very impressive and powerful.

Flowers

As the flowering period went on it became apparent that they would be the same by the end. The first developed tight and almost spherical flowers spaced evenly down the branches. They had an orange glow and were packed with trichomes This one finished up about a week before the second but I kept her going so I could harvest them all in one go.
The second plant really showed her Cookies heritage by the 6th and 7th week of flower. She had more but slightly smaller flowers which went all the way down the stems with the odd, small gap separating them. They had some serious frost by the end which put many of my other plants to shame. It had a light green aura which was almost white in certain lighting. It is one of the frostiest plants I have ever grown.
The harvest was quite easy with both plants with the first being a little fiddly but not too bad. The second was really easy and was just a case of shearing and then flicking of the remaining stubs when dry.
The first plant had tighter flowers which were a little more dense than the seconds. The second was gifted with the frost but had slightly more spongy flowers. The second had the highest yield in the end but only because it was a larger plant. The first would have easily won if they were of the same size.

Smell and Taste

The differences don't stop here with both plants having flavours and smell's which while not being worlds apart, certainly had unique qualities. Plant one had some OG funk propped up by deep citrus and rotten fruit. It had the best scent out of the two which was like a candy aftershave. Plant two is I think the plant which is closer to the breeders description. It had doughy overtones and a lemon or lime twist and made me feel like I was smoking dessert. The flavour wasn't quite as strong as the first plant but it felt just as quality. The smell from this one was sweeter and more subtle. Both were top shelf connoisseur grade cannabis.

Effect

The effect is probably the one thing which both plants had in common. There is an initial head buzz and a sensation of feeling light, maybe even a little light headedness. It mellows out a little and you are left with a productive albeit glazed attitude. The feeling is felt throughout the whole body but doesnt relax you immediately. After an hour or so of feeling nice things do mellow out and I found that I could sleep quite well when using this strain. I don't think trying to sleep would be wise straight after medicating. This strain is for living the day in a happy way. It is quite uplifting but not to the point of euphoria. It is good for getting things done but with the added bonus of a come down afterwards. Perfect for my day time needs.

Final Thoughts

I very much enjoyed almost every aspect of growing and medicating with this strain. It is very easy to grow and look after and seems to be quite tough. New growers shouldn't have a problem as I'm sure mine where getting hit with everything from wet feet to PH fluctuations with little noticeable effect to the flowering plants. The finished product has bragging rights and looks stunning, smells great and has an even more impressive flavour profile. The only downsides are that the yield is around average and the flowers take the full 70 days to reach maturity. Not really a problem but in an age where growers expect things to be bigger and faster, some might be a little put off. Let me tell you though. It is certainly worth the wait.

Happy growing everyone.
:passitleft:

Great reviews and great looking pics on the final product. Nicely done as always Professor.
Thanks for the kind words MrS. I thought I'd have a go at trying to tidy the reviews up a little and make them look a little more professional. I have used the ENTER key in this one

Hey 420. I had intend to do a harvest last night but things didn't go quite as planned so I will be chopping them shortly instead. We have had a major development though which makes the title of this thread inappropriate. I am no longer growing in the bedroom! Basically the missus has started to get a little paranoid that the kids are in too close proximity to the garden which is fair enough. Our little one is now old enough to share a room with our eldest so we have put them in the same room and reopened the old grow room again. So I have a choice. Either start a new thread or ask 420 to change the name of this one. What do you guys think would be better?

Just gotta sort out the family, do some gardening and then I will be dropping some pics of the new setup and the harvest. I still have a little tweaking to do but it is looking good. I like being able to breath again lol. There is more space for more plants as well so it is a bit of a win for me.

Catch you all soon

Either start a new thread or ask 420 to change the name of this one. What do you guys think would be better?
My first choice would be to have your wife do the journal but since that's not going to happen I suggest the name change.

My first choice would be to have your wife do the journal but since that's not going to happen I suggest the name change.
Fuck me that's a scary thought! Are you familiar with dog videos on YouTube? You will be

I use the word "inspired" loosely of course. I haven't exactly been having the best time germinating my way recently and while cruising through your marvellously informative thread I stumble upon what might be the answer to my most recent issue. How long before you give up on a bean in water? I'm on 30 hours now and only one has a good tail.
Not all seeds will develop a tail from water. You are trying to get them to crack and then into the paper towel. The seed has to buildup moisture to crack and placing in the water for 24-48 hours typically does this. Then you want to go into a paper towel or the media at that point.
From my own personal experience and stubbornness, I can confirm that seeds can take upwards of 2 WEEKS to germinate. They don’t take up much space to let them try at life. And I personally start my seeds in clay pebbles, it’s a tedious method, but I’ve had extremely good germ rates. And sometimes I’ll wait till there’s a taproot and stem long enough to stick it in a cloner plug, and toss it in the ezcloner with some clonex to boost the root growth before it finds its way to its final home. This is how i germ my seeds

Back
Top Bottom