Prof's Lab: Diary Of A Bedroom Farmer

Prof's Lab

Welcome one and all to my latest adventure here at 420magazine. As the title suggests I shall be working from my bedroom and trying to do the best we can with what we have available to us. Since my last thread we have lost the grow room and needed somewhere to produce some decent meds. The old grow room is now my daughters first bedroom so we shall be using a walk-in closet which I have managed to squeeze 3 grow tents and all of my equipment into. It's certainly cosy but it will do just fine. This downsizing couldn't have come at a better time as now the world struggles with the coronavirus and many people have been put out of work. Myself and everyone else in our family are out of work and nobody knows how long for. I must save every penny we have so there will be almost zero expenditure on the grows for the foreseeable future.
I have had to adapt to the new environment and one of the biggest differences will be controlling the heat. Unlike in my previous grow room I can't vent out of a window in the closet so I have had to downgrade and use lower wattage lighting. Before I was running 3 tents and a cupboard and was using 1600w total. I've knocked that down to just 400w across 3 tents which is a huge saving. Question is, will it be worth it? We have a tiny 40cm x 40cm veg tent which will be using a 100w 7000k floodlight. Personally I think we could get lower wattage lights in there but we must make do with this one for now. There ain't no cash for splashing out on the grow room at the moment and it doesn't look like things will change for a little while yet. Food is where my money is currently going. The second tent is 60cm x 80cm and will be used for flowering and autos though obviously not at the same time. That tent has a 100w QB style LED unit and will hopefully be able to cover the area sufficiently. The third and final tent is a 120cm x 60cm closet, wide style tent. This tent is also for flowering and will contain the photoperiods. For this one we have 2x 100w 3200k COB LED's for the plants to bath under.
Well that's some of my motives and some info on the environment out of the way. Now for some info on the plants and what is happening and has happened so far.

In tent 1 we have some bonsai mother plants. More on those in a moment but as you can see, they are not in a tent. I forgot to take pics of them in the tent. I'll get the hang of it one day....
DSC01105.JPG

In the second tent we have 10 flowering plants in a single pot. Nothing to see here....
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01094.JPG

The third and final tent contains the recently revived veg plants who's destined futures have changed so many times now that it's hard to remember how we got to this stage. We are here though so I will do a run down on each in the next post. These are currently on flowering day 2....
DSC01127.JPG
DSC01128.JPG

Next we will take a look at the plants individually to see what fire we are messing with.....

Continued....

These are the current occupants of the tiny little veg tent. My latest mother plants. 2 I'm familiar with and 2 are new to me. These plants have been through hell and back after a months long battle with fungus gnats which eventually lead to root rot in most of them. These plants are in coco which wasn't always the case. Everything I had was in soil to begin with but after the gnats became established they stopped drinking and became sat in heavy pots for long periods of time. My problem was that even when I killed the gnats the plants couldn't recover before the next wave hit or before they needed watering again. Some of the plants were taking as long as a month to finish their tiny pots up. The gnats were everywhere and filled every pot and bag of soil that I had. I needed to come up with an idea and that was when I decided to transplant them into coco. I got a coco block and proceeded to remove all of the soil from my grow room. That doesn't include the pot the tent 2 but more on that one shortly. It does however include all of the soil from the ill looking root-balls from every other plant that I owned. I used a serrated bread knife to cut the main mass of soil from the root balls and then afterwards washed the now exposed root stock in H2O2 and water. I replanted every one of them into pre-charged coco coir and waited. Every single one went yellow in 24 hours. It felt like a disaster. Most people would have probably not bothered with the exposed root cleaning and just planted some new beans but I paid for some of these so I wasn't going to give up on them. I don't know what I did wrong but they hated me for it. After the yellowing came the rust colour and then the leaves just started to fall off. Things looked bleak and I thought I was going to have to fully reassess things coming into this journal but then....Green! I saw some green. It was barely noticeable at first but then it started to spread quite quickly. The roots finally had a chance to grow again and I could see them looking all clean and white. Something I haven't seen for weeks with some of these. That all took place last week and we are in our second week of being in the coco. Once it began the turn-around was very fast and you would have never have guessed at how close these were to being thrown in the compost.
These bonsai mothers are in 1lt fabric plant pots and recovered the quickest. I will begin taking clones from them again shortly. for now though they just chill until they are needed....

Fat Purple....
DSC01106.JPG
DSC01107.JPG

Hashplant D....
DSC01108.JPG
DSC01109.JPG

Critical Jack....
DSC01111.JPG

DSC01112.JPG

Tropicanna Banana....
DSC01113.JPG
DSC01114.JPG

Next up we have tent 2.

Continued again....

Its the same story with these as it is with the mothers. The reason that the mothers look slightly better than these it that they are in smaller pots and adjusted quicker. These are on the mend though and will be looking lovely in no time. We are officially flowering now and are currently on day 2 from flip to 12/12. I don't need them to be very big to achieve what I want and hopefully they'll get into gear over the next few days. We are going with 8 strains under 200w of lighting for this one and it will be in coco. I forgot to mention that we will be bottom feeding these so no multiple feeds on a daily basis. The pots have a layer of pebbles at the bottom because that apparently helps. I don't really see why though as the roots will still grow down through them and the water will still wick up them.
Another thing I have forgotten to mention is that I will be feeding everything with MegaCrop as I have about a ton of it. Fortunately I purchased a 9kg bag a few months back before the storm and after a couple grows can't see myself running out for years. Nutes are expensive so I'm happy I don't have to worry about that for a while. Back to the programme.
Here are the strains but before I do there is one more thing worthy of note. 5 of these are unsexed regs. That does mean we could loose some over the next week or so. I really hope not as I have had these for a while and none have shown any clues. We have already lost 3 as males from the original 7 Exotic Genetix strains so I'm really hoping no more of those go as they look like some really nice, good quality strains. Enoguh rambling from me. here are the strains....
DSC01127.JPG

Crumbled Lime #1 from Karma Genetix....
DSC01120.JPG

Crumbled Lime #2 from Karma Genetix....
DSC01119.JPG

Hoe Down from Exotic Genetix....
DSC01121.JPG

Crunk Boat from Exotic Genetix....
DSC01122.JPG

Double D's from Exotic Genetix....
DSC01123.JPG

Star Cake from Pheno Finder Seeds....
DSC01124.JPG

French Macaron from TH Seeds....
DSC01125.JPG

Phantom Cookies Domina from Garden Of Green Seeds
DSC01126.JPG

They look a bit beat up now but they're recovering and will hopefully look a bit brighter in a couple of weeks. Apologies for the bad pics. We'll get that sorted one day.

Continued yet again....

Kiaora Prof. Good to see you coping with the circumstances.
We are about to get schooled on budget growing.
Are you running your bedroom on a one out, one in basis for the duration? ;)
Hey DD. Yep, Things can change in a heartbeat. It doesn't get much more personal than sleeping next to your plants with 5 fans blowing throughout the night lol. You get used to it.
I warn you that you may see pics in the future that may include things like my socks hanging to dry on the grow lights.

The final tent contains the multi strain, single pot grow and is dedicated to Barneys Farm strains. This is a bit of fun we've been having that is being featured in my other journal which will close after I've finished that grow. If you are interested in seeing it in slightly more detail then check out the Barneys journal in my sig. I will feature it in this thread from time to time but it's mainly over there. I will continue the Barneys thread in this journal afterwards though. We have 4 brand new autos to run which sounds like fun. I've not run an auto seriously for a while now and feel up to the challenge and a little bit of a change.
This tent is running off 100w of lighting for flowering and contains 10 strains which are....
Ayahausca Purple
Shishkaberry
Orange Sherbert
Cookies Kush
Dos Si Dos 33
Purple Punch
Tropicanna Banana
Gorilla Zkittles
G13 Haze
Vanilla Kush

This is the only grow using soil currently as there wasn't much I could do about these. They weren't affected as much as the others because they were in a fabric pot which has been smothered in sand. The gnats struggled with this one though I think a few got through as I still see a gnat in this tent every now and then. This grow is over soon and after that there will be no more soil for a little while. Here are some old pics (yesterdays) of them....
DSC01102.JPG
DSC01095.JPG
DSC01096.JPG
DSC01097.JPG
DSC01100.JPG
DSC01101.JPG

So there you have it. That is most of what is going on in my bedroom. There will be plenty of interesting things happen in here over the next few months which I'm sure some of you will enjoy but for now its time to light one up, sit back and chill. Lets see where this takes us shall we. Happy growing everyone
:passitleft:

Prof's Lab

Welcome one and all to my latest adventure here at 420magazine. As the title suggests I shall be working from my bedroom and trying to do the best we can with what we have available to us. Since my last thread we have lost the grow room and needed somewhere to produce some decent meds. The old grow room is now my daughters first bedroom so we shall be using a walk-in closet which I have managed to squeeze 3 grow tents and all of my equipment into. It's certainly cosy but it will do just fine. This downsizing couldn't have come at a better time as now the world struggles with the coronavirus and many people have been put out of work. Myself and everyone else in our family are out of work and nobody knows how long for. I must save every penny we have so there will be almost zero expenditure on the grows for the foreseeable future.
I have had to adapt to the new environment and one of the biggest differences will be controlling the heat. Unlike in my previous grow room I can't vent out of a window in the closet so I have had to downgrade and use lower wattage lighting. Before I was running 3 tents and a cupboard and was using 1600w total. I've knocked that down to just 400w across 3 tents which is a huge saving. Question is, will it be worth it? We have a tiny 40cm x 40cm veg tent which will be using a 100w 7000k floodlight. Personally I think we could get lower wattage lights in there but we must make do with this one for now. There ain't no cash for splashing out on the grow room at the moment and it doesn't look like things will change for a little while yet. Food is where my money is currently going. The second tent is 60cm x 80cm and will be used for flowering and autos though obviously not at the same time. That tent has a 100w QB style LED unit and will hopefully be able to cover the area sufficiently. The third and final tent is a 120cm x 60cm closet, wide style tent. This tent is also for flowering and will contain the photoperiods. For this one we have 2x 100w 3200k COB LED's for the plants to bath under.
Well that's some of my motives and some info on the environment out of the way. Now for some info on the plants and what is happening and has happened so far.

In tent 1 we have some bonsai mother plants. More on those in a moment but as you can see, they are not in a tent. I forgot to take pics of them in the tent. I'll get the hang of it one day....
DSC01105.JPG

In the second tent we have 10 flowering plants in a single pot. Nothing to see here....
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01094.JPG

The third and final tent contains the recently revived veg plants who's destined futures have changed so many times now that it's hard to remember how we got to this stage. We are here though so I will do a run down on each in the next post. These are currently on flowering day 2....
DSC01127.JPG
DSC01128.JPG

Next we will take a look at the plants individually to see what fire we are messing with.....

Continued....
love it Prof. on early with ypubtoo mate. good luck. gope your all well and safe. feet up. woohoo. missed your chat mate.

love it Prof. on early with ypubtoo mate. good luck. gope your all well and safe. feet up. woohoo. missed your chat mate.
Hey GG. How is it buddy? Glad you could make it. Looking forward to the natter buddy. We've got a bit more time for that now

Hey GG. How is it buddy? Glad you could make it. Looking forward to the natter buddy. We've got a bit more time for that now
Loving the family time too. still takes most of the time up as they need constant refereeing. Mrs GG loves it as she is doing her Uni for teaching and works at our 5y olds school. the home learning feeds into the course content along with the from home tutoring too. House is like a dam school , sadly I am the old grumpy caretaker in it all with a boiler room and duties during the school day.
Teen girl loves being" at school" in her pj's but not so keen when its P.E. !!
We live behind a park so she can do laps when it's on her timetable with me and a whistle. weather might make it jar if it's too cold or windy as I wont be able to have the upstairs window open to shout to her properly !!.
2 year old just sees so many felt tips, crayons ,calculators , books , glue ,scissors, paper, library books to give a shit why they are all in "our space" now. lol. So grateful for my attic hole. be safe mate

Nice start to the new journal Professor. Can’t believe I got in on page one! Lol. I totally forgot we are both running the Crumbled Limes. Have you sexed yours yet? I’ve got a Male and twin girls so there isn’t going to be a shortage of more beans! Smells amazing with a stem rub and I’m definitely getting a lime haze scent. Hope your well buddy.

Hey P. Ready for some more funk? How did your Critical Jack grow? This one looks like its going to be a shrubbery monster
Mine stayed about "average" compared to the other plants I ran alongside for that run. Nothing really stood out to me; pretty well behaved.
Handled topping & training like a champ. If I remember correctly, it flowered quite a bit longer than I expected. I cut about 2 weeks after the breeder recommendation, and still ended up fluffy.

I definitely remember an amazing licorice aftertaste with it. I'm sitting on 1 more seed, I may have to run that again soon.

Ya got my wheels turning now...

Loving the family time too. still takes most of the time up as they need constant refereeing. Mrs GG loves it as she is doing her Uni for teaching and works at our 5y olds school. the home learning feeds into the course content along with the from home tutoring too. House is like a dam school , sadly I am the old grumpy caretaker in it all with a boiler room and duties during the school day.
Teen girl loves being" at school" in her pj's but not so keen when its P.E. !!
We live behind a park so she can do laps when it's on her timetable with me and a whistle. weather might make it jar if it's too cold or windy as I wont be able to have the upstairs window open to shout to her properly !!.
2 year old just sees so many felt tips, crayons ,calculators , books , glue ,scissors, paper, library books to give a shit why they are all in "our space" now. lol. So grateful for my attic hole. be safe mate
It's good to be with the family a bit more though that does mean watching Bing 15 times a day. I'm just happy that we have had some good weather to coincide with this mess so I can at least hide in the outside garden. Id go mad if I was trapped in the house for too long.
You hide in your attic and I'll hide in my closet. We can survive this GG.
Nice start to the new journal Professor. Can’t believe I got in on page one! Lol. I totally forgot we are both running the Crumbled Limes. Have you sexed yours yet? I’ve got a Male and twin girls so there isn’t going to be a shortage of more beans! Smells amazing with a stem rub and I’m definitely getting a lime haze scent. Hope your well buddy.
Cheers Lew and good to see ya. I'd not forgotten your twins and was wondering how they were getting on. Mine haven't been sexed yet and I still can't tell after having a look. No smell yet either but they are the best growing plants of the group so far. They look very similar and have a sativa feel and look about them. My next job is to train them a bit before they get too tall.
Here! Looking forward to a new grow and more excellent strain reports. :yahoo:
Good to have you here Shed. If all goes well then I will have 11 strain reviews for you in a couple of months
Mine stayed about "average" compared to the other plants I ran alongside for that run. Nothing really stood out to me; pretty well behaved.
Handled topping & training like a champ. If I remember correctly, it flowered quite a bit longer than I expected. I cut about 2 weeks after the breeder recommendation, and still ended up fluffy.

I definitely remember an amazing licorice aftertaste with it. I'm sitting on 1 more seed, I may have to run that again soon.

Ya got my wheels turning now...
The one I have seems pretty vigorous but is beaten by the Tropicanna Banana. It looks like its going to be branchy as the side shoots look to be growing quicker than she is growing taller. I was wondering if she would pair up with the TB well but it doesn't look like she will.
Flavour sounds good though. I'm not a fan of actual liquorice but I like it in my weed
Go on. Pop one lol

For our first update I thought we could start with a trim and a little experiment. The mother plants are growing well again so I thought that it would be safe to cut them back....
DSC01157.JPG
DSC01171.JPG

Quick trim and....
DSC01173.JPG
DSC01176.JPG
DSC01178.JPG

I cut them all back down to the lowest growth except for the Tropicana Banana which didn't need it. I took some clones from her for an experiment which I tried in my previous journal which very nearly succeeded. I'm going to try to root the cuttings in a jar of water. That's it. Simple. The last time I tried it I used the Fat Purple mother but she was weak from the gnat invasion so the cuttings weren't great. I did manage to get a root on one but then I knocked it off by mistake lol. So we're going to try it again with a healthier and stronger growing plant....
DSC01179.JPG
DSC01175.JPG
DSC01174.JPG

Lets start things off nice and slow :peace:

Back
Top Bottom