Prof's Lab: Diary Of A Bedroom Farmer

Hey 420! Back again after a busy week with much drama lol. We'll it seems that we had a couple issues which were pretty serious indeed. A combination of fungus gnats and root rot (most likely spread by the gnats) very nearly decimated my garden. We lost 2 plants which were the Romberry and the massive Malana Cream (which I'm telling myself was a male) to the rot. They were completely collapsed and limp on the surface of the coco like they were a day or two into the drying process. I considered them gone as their roots were just slush. The rest weren't much better and all had begun to go limp. I have been using lots of H2O2 and it just isn't working. There are too many adult gnats surviving and laying eggs as soon they can. There was hundreds of them swarming in the room. I've ran almost 5ltr of peroxide through the little pots that most of the plants have been in and they just come back. It wasn't helping the rot either. Things were looking bad and as I thought that I had lost the whole grow I decided to flush them with toilet bleach lol. a 1/10 mix of bleach and water. The bubbles! lol. My grow room smells very clean now and guess what? The plants stopped dying. About 24 hours later they all began to stand up again and stopped losing leaves as quickly. I waited a couple of days and they still looked alive so yesterday I put them into 5ltr pots with fresh coco. I am just waiting for the first sign that they are growing again and then I will flip to flower..
DSC03203.JPG

The Malana's where the worst effected out of these. They lost all of their large fans, shrivelled up and leant over. Now they are stood up again.....
DSC03204.JPG
DSC03205.JPG
DSC03206.JPG

The Pineapple Express looks better than the rest but also went pretty limp. She had no white roots left and had stopped growing. I think this one will bounce back first, that is if they do bounce back at all....
DSC03207.JPG

The Crumbled Lime had noticeably stopped growing but rather surprisingly her roots were still at least half white. She was on the turn though and probably wouldn't have held out much longer without intervention. Her stems went really dark purple and she bagan to "claw". She was potted at the bottom of an 11tr fabric pot to try and get her a little lower but I dont think it makes much difference lol. I'm going to have to grow her wide or the others had better be pretty tall....
DSC03208.JPG
DSC03209.JPG

Here is the hash from the last round. We got 5.2 grams in the end which was a little lower than I was hoping for but it is wonderful stuff and has been a bit of a godsend. I still have some left but only because the other stuff hasn't finished drying yet lol. I would have smoked it by now....
DSC03188.JPG
DSC03192.JPG
DSC03195.JPG

25 micron...
DSC03191.JPG

73 micron....
DSC03190.JPG

120 micron. Somehow I managed to get some debris in this one....
DSC03189.JPG

Hey 420! Back again after a busy week with much drama lol. We'll it seems that we had a couple issues which were pretty serious indeed. A combination of fungus gnats and root rot (most likely spread by the gnats) very nearly decimated my garden. We lost 2 plants which were the Romberry and the massive Malana Cream (which I'm telling myself was a male) to the rot. They were completely collapsed and limp on the surface of the coco like they were a day or two into the drying process. I considered them gone as their roots were just slush. The rest weren't much better and all had begun to go limp. I have been using lots of H2O2 and it just isn't working. There are too many adult gnats surviving and laying eggs as soon they can. There was hundreds of them swarming in the room. I've ran almost 5ltr of peroxide through the little pots that most of the plants have been in and they just come back. It wasn't helping the rot either. Things were looking bad and as I thought that I had lost the whole grow I decided to flush them with toilet bleach lol. a 1/10 mix of bleach and water. The bubbles! lol. My grow room smells very clean now and guess what? The plants stopped dying. About 24 hours later they all began to stand up again and stopped losing leaves as quickly. I waited a couple of days and they still looked alive so yesterday I put them into 5ltr pots with fresh coco. I am just waiting for the first sign that they are growing again and then I will flip to flower..
DSC03203.JPG

The Malana's where the worst effected out of these. They lost all of their large fans, shrivelled up and leant over. Now they are stood up again.....
DSC03204.JPG
DSC03205.JPG
DSC03206.JPG

The Pineapple Express looks better than the rest but also went pretty limp. She had no white roots left and had stopped growing. I think this one will bounce back first, that is if they do bounce back at all....
DSC03207.JPG

The Crumbled Lime had noticeably stopped growing but rather surprisingly her roots were still at least half white. She was on the turn though and probably wouldn't have held out much longer without intervention. Her stems went really dark purple and she bagan to "claw". She was potted at the bottom of an 11tr fabric pot to try and get her a little lower but I dont think it makes much difference lol. I'm going to have to grow her wide or the others had better be pretty tall....
DSC03208.JPG
DSC03209.JPG
You said toilet bleach?

Ow! Good save on the gnat bait, I mean garden!
Nice looking hash too :p
Maybe a save. Still awaiting some positive results. I would like some mosquito dunks but they ain't cheap. Had any
experience with nematodes? I can get them at about a quarter of the price
You said toilet bleach?
Yep. Bleach which is marketed as being used to clean toilets. Smells like lemon

These were also bleached but I have instead put them into soil after removing all of the coco and rotten roots. These all had some white roots but were beginning to turn. I'm keeping them outside for now as I don't want lots of pots in the grow room until the gnats are under control....
DSC03196.JPG

Miami Heat....
DSC03197.JPG

Balkh....
DSC03198.JPG

Unknown Afghan....
DSC03199.JPG

Unknown Afghan....
DSC03200.JPG

I thought that this one was dead so I put it in a big pot outside the patio door and it has yet to go. Spot the weed plant....
DSC03201.JPG
DSC03202.JPG

It is surrounded by orange peel and chives for protection from slugs. I give it 2 days lol

Hey bleach is a handi tool in the garden.
I couldn't find any solid info on it without people arguing for it as a good or bad thing. The plants aren't dead yet and I was sure that they would have been if I kept doing what I was doing.

Aloha Professor!!

Congrats on the harvest! Your photos are stunning and should be made into a calendar. I’d buy a few! Lol Awesome review on the crumbled lime too! I always enjoy getting caught up in here.. solid break down of the plants with photos.

That hash looks killa too!!:drool:I hope you and the ohana are well. Have blessed day!

:passitleft:

Holy shit Prof! Very sorry to hear about the gnats/rot. I hope the survivors recover!

Things were looking bad and as I thought that I had lost the whole grow I decided to flush them with toilet bleach lol.

Yep. Inspirational

I’ve heard of people using it for root rot. That’s why I don’t worry about using tap water lol
One thing I couldn't find out was how much to use. One person said that a couple drops from a pipette per gallon was enough and another said as high as 1/3 bleach to water. I went with 1/10 which was still an incredibly strong mix. Do you know of a sensible ratio for future reference?
Aloha Professor!!

Congrats on the harvest! Your photos are stunning and should be made into a calendar. I’d buy a few! Lol Awesome review on the crumbled lime too! I always enjoy getting caught up in here.. solid break down of the plants with photos.

That hash looks killa too!!:drool:I hope you and the ohana are well. Have blessed day!
Thanks Sunny! Good to hear from you. We're all good hear. The weather is in my favour again which is great for the drying buds and also my nerves lol. Hopefully there should be some dried flower pics coming up tomorrow.

The hash definitely works. I need to get some match sticks for my eye lids lol
Holy shit Prof! Very sorry to hear about the gnats/rot. I hope the survivors recover!

Yep. Inspirational
Don't worry. it's not the first time its happened and certainly won't be the last. Last year we had a serious thrip invasion, this year its gnats. I preferred the thrips lol.

The bleach wasn't something I had ever considered before. Out of desperation I decided to give it a try as I'm pretty much out of hydrogen peroxide. If bleach works then I doubt I will use H2O2 again as the price difference is huge. To be fair I'm going back to soil at the next available opportunity and will get some nematodes to see if that is better. Again though, I have read that some people say it works amazing and others say that the populations aren't damaged enough to be an effective solution. Stay tuned to find out

:passitleft: :passitleft: :passitleft:

Jealous lol. Not heard of Cherry Garcia but GMO is something I really want to grow. Good luck with those two

The cherry garcia seed turned black after 4 days, I took some tweezers and gently peeled back the seed casing, there was a small plant looking like it wanted to break thru the seed but just wasn’t strong enough, I put it back on the pebbles after removing the seed, we’ll see if it lives or dies. The GMO however, is alive and very well, hell, I already have it in my cloner it’s doing soo well. I was digging thru my seed bank and came across some old blue dream seeds, I threw in 2 of those, and then I found seeds from my Jack Herer run that I did a few years back, I’d love to get that strain back as it was my best grow yet by far. Time will tell with those on if they live and if they’re female, fingers crossed!!

Here is the funny little secret I have been keeping. About 70 days ago I took a cutting from the Hoe Down and put it in my glass jar with the net pot stuck in the top. I didn't expect it to go anywhere so it just sat there on the top shelf out of the way of any direct light. I noticed that it's appearance wasn't changing at all so I kept it after losing the original Hoe Down when trying to re-veg her. I forgot about this one a lot but as it didn't drink much it never dried up. I probably only changed the water 3 or 4 times over the last 70 days and it was actually dusty lol. Last week it started to produce roots and I think it is now time to transplant it into some soil before the roots start to rot. The thing is that the clone doesnt have any flower or anywhere for new growth to come from so I dont know what will happen. It clearly wants to live though so Here is the original Hoe Down....
DSC03225.JPG
DSC03226.JPG
DSC03227.JPG
DSC03228.JPG
DSC03231.JPG

I’ve been using bleach in my garden for half a decade as a preventative. Has worked wonders and is relatively cheap compared to the other options. I use a few drops per gallon as ive found using too much creates foam especially if using in an aeroponic cloner.
I saw the foam. I gave up trying to flush it out and let it evaporate instead.
The cherry garcia seed turned black after 4 days, I took some tweezers and gently peeled back the seed casing, there was a small plant looking like it wanted to break thru the seed but just wasn’t strong enough, I put it back on the pebbles after removing the seed, we’ll see if it lives or dies. The GMO however, is alive and very well, hell, I already have it in my cloner it’s doing soo well. I was digging thru my seed bank and came across some old blue dream seeds, I threw in 2 of those, and then I found seeds from my Jack Herer run that I did a few years back, I’d love to get that strain back as it was my best grow yet by far. Time will tell with those on if they live and if they’re female, fingers crossed!!
Jack Herer is on my "yet to grow" list but I have done a few Blue Dreams which were some nice plants. Good to hear the GMO is going well.

Back
Top Bottom