Prohibition Is Over And It's Time To Grow: Budget LED 750 Watts RDWC

Jamers

Hello. Have not grown in over 5 years, i have forgotten most of what i knew about growing so hopefully this isn't a disaster. it's nice to have a journal to look back on and hopefully some more experienced user might even offer a bit of feedback. Last Wednesday i germinated some old Girl Scout Cookie seeds i had laying around, these were at least 4 years old. Got one to sprout but i would like to get things rolling and have never tried clones, so i decided to go that route. Today i picked up 9 Purple Kush cuttings and an inexpensive Oxy Cloner, the girl scout cookie seedling i will grow into a mother. Excited to get started.

If these cuttings root i will remove the cloner from the room and install my rdwc buckets and external chiller.

This is a previous run i did on this system.

What strain is it? Purple Kush
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Inndica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Clones
Indoor 5'x4.5'x7.5'
Hydro: My setup will be a RDWC setup with a chiller, 70L air pump and 20L air pump for stones
2x T5 fixtures for early flower then will switch to 1000w MH for veg and 1000w HPS for flower
6" cooltube fixture with 6" inline exhust fan
Temp of Room/cab? temp will prolly be around 75-80F
PH of media or res? 5.7
Any Pests ? not right now :)
DNF grow and bloom plus calmag for now.

Bit of tinkering today. Woke up to a stagnant cloner res save the water pump. My air pump was making a strange noise and no bubbles coming out of air stones. Tore it apart and found a burst bladder, off to the hydro shop i go.

easy fix, but now my res is a bit milky looking. Should i do a res change or leave it? Also can anyone recommend what humidity these cuttings should be at? they have been in the cloner for 3 days now, can maybe see some bumps forming on the roots. struggling to get temps above 20c in there, hopefully this doesn't hurt them.

Finally i have 2 new seedlings today :)
purple crack by cali og

Lower leaves on the clones are turning yellow, first time cloner so i am getting a bit worried. A few are showing some decent looking nubs on the stems after 6 days in the cloner, they seem to be the clones with green leaves still. Prolly time to add some clonex to the res?

After a lot of reading it seems like HPS is no longer cool. I also have problems with heat during flower with my 1000w HPS. i have been reading A LOT about qbs and they just look so sexy and i want some. my grow room is L 5'6" x W 3'8" xH 7'3" would 2 HLG 320W Xl V2 R specs be too much light? the foot print would be about perfect...

Lower leaves on the clones are turning yellow, first time cloner so i am getting a bit worried. A few are showing some decent looking nubs on the stems after 6 days in the cloner, they seem to be the clones with green leaves still. Prolly time to add some clonex to the res?

Hey man lots going on over here. Those clones r ready to pop roots anytime now. Add a shot of that rapid start and a little green up and they will be well on their way. R/H is ideal around 70 however in that bubbler it not to critical. If your RH is lower because of the furnace running you can mist them a little. The only time I mist my clones is in the dead of winter when the RH is real low. Spring /summer and fall my basements RH is higher and I get Mold on the plants sometimes if I mist these times of year. Now I mist in winter only for this reason and have less problems. By day 12 you should have some substantial roots on them little ladies.

After a lot of reading it seems like HPS is no longer cool. I also have problems with heat during flower with my 1000w HPS. i have been reading A LOT about qbs and they just look so sexy and i want some. my grow room is L 5'6" x W 3'8" xH 7'3" would 2 HLG 320W Xl V2 R specs be too much light? the foot print would be about perfect...
R you growing in your basement?? Canadian winters can be brutal as far as cold goes lol. Did you have problems with heat in the winter before when running HPS in the winter. As you have seen I run a 1000w hps beside a HLG 550 v2 in the same room. They r both great and both do very well as far as yields but both have pros and cons. I need the heat from my hps or I would need a heater on with the lights all at the same time just to keep my environment warm enough. The nice thing about the LEDs in the winter is they don’t kill the RH as bad. Lots of pros and cons to both since you know the pro and cons of HPS I will tell you what I’ve noticed about LEDs. My 2 cents and I can only speak to my model LED as it’s all I’ve tried and have had it less then a year. Pros for qbs : will yield almost par as a 1000w/less heat/less power used/passive cooling/ great for head height/no bulb changes/way easier to control RH and sexy

(and I may be missing a few). Cons : second mortgage needed to purchase/may need additional heat source in the winter/ not the same penetration or foot print. All I mean by this is the numbers fall off quickly toward the edges and corners. However I love the Rspec and will get one one day and run full LEDs in summer and my hps with LED in winter.

Hello. Have not grown in over 5 years, i have forgotten most of what i knew about growing so hopefully this isn't a disaster. it's nice to have a journal to look back on and hopefully some more experienced user might even offer a bit of feedback. Last Wednesday i germinated some old Girl Scout Cookie seeds i had laying around, these were at least 4 years old. Got one to sprout but i would like to get things rolling and have never tried clones, so i decided to go that route. Today i picked up 9 Purple Kush cuttings and an inexpensive Oxy Cloner, the girl scout cookie seedling i will grow into a mother. Excited to get started.

If these cuttings root i will remove the cloner from the room and install my rdwc buckets and external chiller.

This is a previous run i did on this system.

What strain is it? Purple Kush
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Inndica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Clones
Indoor 5'x4.5'x7.5'
Hydro: My setup will be a RDWC setup with a chiller, 70L air pump and 20L air pump for stones
2x T5 fixtures for early flower then will switch to 1000w MH for veg and 1000w HPS for flower
6" cooltube fixture with 6" inline exhust fan
Temp of Room/cab? temp will prolly be around 75-80F
PH of media or res? 5.7
Any Pests ? not right now :)
DNF grow and bloom plus calmag for now.
Love the set up. You’ve got a good handle on this shit and will be a fun grow to watch.

Hey man lots going on over here. Those clones r ready to pop roots anytime now. Add a shot of that rapid start and a little green up and they will be well on their way. R/H is ideal around 70 however in that bubbler it not to critical. If your RH is lower because of the furnace running you can mist them a little. The only time I mist my clones is in the dead of winter when the RH is real low. Spring /summer and fall my basements RH is higher and I get Mold on the plants sometimes if I mist these times of year. Now I mist in winter only for this reason and have less problems. By day 12 you should have some substantial roots on them little ladies.

hey wow thanks, ill try bumping up the humidity a bit. i would love some automation in that department. After reading your entire journal yesterday i added the rapid start, thrive, cal mag ( old stuff i had laying around) and a bit of hydro sparkle. today, 8th day in the cloner.

:)

R you growing in your basement?? Canadian winters can be brutal as far as cold goes lol. Did you have problems with heat in the winter before when running HPS in the winter. As you have seen I run a 1000w hps beside a HLG 550 v2 in the same room. They r both great and both do very well as far as yields but both have pros and cons. I need the heat from my hps or I would need a heater on with the lights all at the same time just to keep my environment warm enough. The nice thing about the LEDs in the winter is they don’t kill the RH as bad. Lots of pros and cons to both since you know the pro and cons of HPS I will tell you what I’ve noticed about LEDs. My 2 cents and I can only speak to my model LED as it’s all I’ve tried and have had it less then a year. Pros for qbs : will yield almost par as a 1000w/less heat/less power used/passive cooling/ great for head height/no bulb changes/way easier to control RH and sexy

(and I may be missing a few). Cons : second mortgage needed to purchase/may need additional heat source in the winter/ not the same penetration or foot print. All I mean by this is the numbers fall off quickly toward the edges and corners. However I love the Rspec and will get one one day and run full LEDs in summer and my hps with LED in winter.

yea growing in my basement right next to the furnace, half the basement is above grade and is very well insulated. i have no real way to exhaust heat outside of my house. the best i can do sometimes is to vent it into another room in my basement. Eventually with the 1000w HPS it starts to get pretty hot in there. Also i always battle with keeping humidity up in the winter during veg so that would be another reason. maybe i am just looking for excuses to buy something shiny, i can make it work with the HPS, its just not ideal.

yea growing in my basement right next to the furnace, half the basement is above grade and is very well insulated. i have no real way to exhaust heat outside of my house. the best i can do sometimes is to vent it into another room in my basement. Eventually with the 1000w HPS it starts to get pretty hot in there. Also i always battle with keeping humidity up in the winter during veg so that would be another reason. maybe i am just looking for excuses to buy something shiny, i can make it work with the HPS, its just not ideal.
Hey man glad to c the roots popping. Now that there’s some rooting action try to keep the ph around 5.8 to 6.0 and your off. Should have decent little root balls around day 12 ish. As long as you could keep the heat up a new LED may make it a little easier to keep the environment in check. Your not alone with the lower RH in the winter as most of us growers start to suffer as soon as the furnace fires up. Don’t worry to much about this as I run around 40% RH all winter with a humidifier going and have no real issues. It not ideal but you will never have bud rot or powdery mildew and the bud will b fine. Keep them green brother and have a good one. I caught a rain day off work. Enjoy

Wow horrible weather for the ticker treaters tonight. Didn’t get many and have lots of candy to eat ! today I adjusted the ph down to 5.9 and am trying to keep a better check on humidity, today it’s not so hard :) Also transplanted seedlings today Into some coco to grows as mum’s. Never grown anything other than hydro so should be fun. @KCCO 77 thank you again for the help I really do appreciate it.

Wow horrible weather for the ticker treaters tonight. Didn’t get many and have lots of candy to eat ! today I adjusted the ph down to 5.9 and am trying to keep a better check on humidity, today it’s not so hard :) Also transplanted seedlings today Into some coco to grows as mum’s. Never grown anything other than hydro so should be fun. @KCCO 77 thank you again for the help I really do appreciate it.

Lmao ya I only had one kid. Just shit weather to be out last night leaving me with two huge bowls of chocolate bars. The one kid that came with his mom looked at me when I dumped almost the whole third bowl of candy in his bag. He had the biggest smile. Anyways things r looking good with the little ladies. Play safe and enjoy

Uh oh was away for 24 hrs, ran a 33km trail loop of beaver valley can hardly walk. Checked plants roots look great then I saw this.. culled her and maybe gonna pull another one. I only need 4 kinda looks like powdery mildew but isn’t sugary. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 633D4BBF-C8E6-4BA3-BF7C-6119A18A48E7.jpeg
    633D4BBF-C8E6-4BA3-BF7C-6119A18A48E7.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 229
Uh oh was away for 24 hrs, ran a 33km trail loop of beaver valley can hardly walk. Checked plants roots look great then I saw this.. culled her and maybe gonna pull another one. I only need 4 kinda looks like powdery mildew but isn’t sugary. Any ideas ?
Hey man thats a hell of a run. I hope all is good. Remember when I was talking about how I don’t mist this time of year. That’s exactly why. I thinking that’s the same mould I get if I mist when my RH is to high. Watch it hasn’t spread to the others because in my case 99.99% of the time it dose. If it hasn’t try to keep them dry as possible up top. Play safe and enjoy

Hey thanks I’ll try and dry them out now . No dome but I used one for the first few days at the start and they got way to wet. also about 5 days ago I forgot to turn The exhaust fan on overnight and humidity was at 98% in the grow room by the next morning.... prolly related ..
Hey man that sucks. Ya I use a dome in the middle of winter only when the RH is below 40 and it’s probably not needed. Spring summer and fall I use no dome or misting or I get the same shit. Watch the others.

will do thanks. The rest look pretty good, maybe a bit of white stuff on a few stems but looks more like evaporated water deposits from the bubbler. The more rooted ones are actually starting to grow and perk up. Prolly time to start cleaning out my dwc buckets..

Attachments

• ACBD8382-6484-4123-BDF3-F700623667B8.jpeg
    ACBD8382-6484-4123-BDF3-F700623667B8.jpeg
    642.6 KB · Views: 217
  • E047ED9E-FA46-4016-9000-03D0CCEC9806.jpeg
    E047ED9E-FA46-4016-9000-03D0CCEC9806.jpeg
    785.7 KB · Views: 218
Made up a solution to spray on the plants to try to fight this mold

Hopefully I didn’t just make them worse but they seem fine and I am getting restless waiting to transplant these to rdwc.
Today I also went and bought these 8 gallon buckets, they seems high quality and in the past my plants have been root bound in my 5 gallon buckets. Best results I ever had was when I grew 2 plants in a 27 gallon res, I think this was partly bc the roots had so much more room. Anyways Iam gonna play around with these and maybe put together a 2 bucket system so I can grow 2 in the same space as 4. They also make a 13 gallon bucket which maybe is better for this idea.. gah I always wanna mess with stuff.

Made up a solution to spray on the plants to try to fight this mold

Hopefully I didn’t just make them worse but they seem fine and I am getting restless waiting to transplant these to rdwc.
Today I also went and bought these 8 gallon buckets, they seems high quality and in the past my plants have been root bound in my 5 gallon buckets. Best results I ever had was when I grew 2 plants in a 27 gallon res, I think this was partly bc the roots had so much more room. Anyways Iam gonna play around with these and maybe put together a 2 bucket system so I can grow 2 in the same space as 4. They also make a 13 gallon bucket which maybe is better for this idea.. gah I always wanna mess with stuff.
Lmao messing around with shit is how we learn. I have often thought about using bigger buckets but since I don’t veg in my system the roots stay kinda controlled. I mean like 5% end up growing into the 2 inch drain tube but not even enough to have problems. The problem I have is if I increase my system volume I have to make more RO water. My house uses about 8 to 900 L of Ro water a week. I have no choice but to filter my water as I’m on a well and need a larger pressure tank for my Ro system. I do love the large buckets. Now you got me thinking lmao thx.

Back
Top Bottom