Proof Goes Poof

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
When Robin Chatterjee was pulled over for having a missing licence plate, police claimed they smelled marijuana in his car.

They searched the car and found $29,000 in cash and a few items commonly used for growing marijuana. The police recognized they did not have evidence to charge him with any crime. Instead, they confiscated the items, along with the $29,000.

Shockingly, this happened in Canada. The Supreme Court of Canada recently ruled such forfeitures do not violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

If the police just "think" property in your possession may have come from criminal activity, it can be legally confiscated.

Ontario's Civil Remedies Act "does not require an allegation or proof that a particular person committed a particular crime," the court wrote. This is an extraordinary grant of police power and the potential for abuse or misuse is extreme.

Many readers have no problem with the notion of police powers being exercised against criminals. But Chatterjee was never even charged with a crime, let alone convicted of one. This did not matter to the court, which wrote the trial judge "could have accepted wholeheartedly (Chatterjee's) claim that he was entirely innocent of any involvement with marijuana cultivation, yet still ordered forfeiture."

That is a remarkable statement. What happened to proof beyond a reasonable doubt? What ever happened to the principle that "the punishment must fit the crime?"

Chatterjee may have been a suspicious character. After all, it is rather unusual to travel with tools typically used for growing marijuana plus $29,000 in cash. But it is not illegal.

Receipt, please

Imagine the police pull your car over for a broken tail light or come to your house because you are waking your neighbours. Will you need to provide a receipt to justify any unusual or expensive possessions the police notice that you have?

And if you can't, should you lose your things, even with no criminal conviction?

I think it violates the principle of proof beyond a reasonable doubt to confiscate alleged proceeds of crime without any criminal charge. In a free and democratic society, we should not have to explain ourselves to the police any time we are pulled over.

In my view, if the police do not have grounds to arrest you, you should be free to go, and to take your property without having to prove it is lawfully yours.

The unfortunate trend, however, is our society's interest in personal privacy continues to degrade, coming close to the point of no return.

Since 2004, six other provinces have joined Ontario by enacting civil forfeiture laws. B.C., has confiscated more than $5 million since its law came into effect in 2006. B.C.'s Civil Forfeiture Office (BCCFO) is funded by proceeds of confiscated goods, and the office became entirely self-funded 18 months ahead of schedule.

This should be nothing to be proud of, but the BCCFO gleefully boasts it is "an exercise in efficiency" and it's "business model" is premised on "ease of access for law enforcement personnel."

It scares the hell out of me that a government forfeiture office sees itself as a business. Confiscating goods and money without sufficient proof of criminal conduct should not be undertaken so cavalierly.

U.S.-style abuses

Such programs are likely, if not certain, to suffer from the exact same sorts of abuses that have occurred in the U.S., where it is not uncommon to hear of forfeited goods going missing or forfeited cars winding up in the hands of law enforcement personnel.

The state took Chatterjee's money and other items because the cops smelled marijuana in his car. I am left to wonder what they would have confiscated had Chatterjee actually had drugs on him. Maybe his kidney?

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Winnipeg Sun
Author: EDWARD GREENSPAN
Copyright: 2009 Winnipeg Sun

so if cops think you are doing something illegal, they can take anything they want without having any kind of proof? seems more like legalized theft, no wonder people dont trust police or our government officials. they have said its ok for them to steal from us.

29,000.00 is a nice chunk of change and a high fee for a lesson in life. Some have paid more and some have paid less.
If his lawyers can't get it back I think what we need to take from this is the lesson that you have to carry things separately if at all possible.
We have to start treating cops as criminals. By that I mean that when you go out on the street with whatever you have, you have to know that at any time cops and criminals alike see you as a mark.
Forget what you see in movies or propaganda or even on the sides of their cars.Cops serve themselves and then the state. Switching back and forth according to what is good for themselves.
I think that who ever carries large amounts of money needs to know the risks. If you do a gut check you know it's risky for whatever reason. You've got to be extra careful.

This story just proves what ive been saying for years. The cops are NOT your friends. They are not in it for you, they don't want to help you, they just want to commit you for a crime, any crime, that they can.

If you have ever been in a situation with a police officer, you know that they always say "its alright, if you work with us, we can help you". Bullshit. All they want is for you to give up anything that can make you guilty. A cop WANTS you to be guilty. And that by itself (coming from a person who is supposed to protect the public) is completely wrong.

as much as i disagree with the police, dude should have known better than to have that kinda shit in his car. although the cop had no right to confiscate his money...

It's too bad that he didn't get 5 friends to each take 6000 to his his house. Or someone else to take the supplies and he could have taken the cash.

Nothing will be done until it happens to a couple of innocent rich people. The only way to change the system is to have the money to sway the politicians, that's what it comes down to time and time again throughout history...who has the most money to "contribute" to those in power. Just like our celebrities here in the U.S. seem to get out of all kinds of trouble that would land us "normal" people in jail for months or years because they have the money to basically pay the system off.

The Vietnamese shrimpers back where I used to live along I-10 used to always carry tens if not hundreds of thousands in cash on them because they didn't like to use banks. The money was legit, either from catching a fresh load of seafood or selling a boat...they'd pay cash to buy new shrimp boats too. After a few of them got pulled over for some traffic violation and had their money confiscated because the cops "believed" it was drugs enough legal issues arose that it became more of a rarity for them to get screwed by the po-po's.

"To protect and serve...", please note that it does not say WHO.

wonder if the rural cops around here will be inspired by this tostop some amish in a horse drawn buggy and ticket them and take their cash lots of amish are cash only folk too...

Back
Top Bottom