Proper extraction fan use

Canobud

Hi,

My tent kit came with a 4" inline fan rated at 165 CFM. Is this dramatic overkill for a tent with just 35 cubic ft? My plants are just starting to break through the soil and my RH is hovering around 38% even with a bucket of water/towel wick setup, as well as having the plants raised above a shallow pool of water. Temps are around 79F with the LED fixture hanging roughly 12" above the soil currently. Is a rheostat a good idea to slow my fan down some?

Thanks!

IMG_242619.jpg

A speed controller will be good to slow down air flow. It's always nice to have some control over heat dissipation and fresh air replenishment. Sounds like you'll need a humidifier in there, 37% is pretty low for seedling growth.

Do you have a journal started?

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Welcome Canobud, I agree with Snidrajsed, you can pick up a dimmable light switch (the round button ones) at any hardware store for a couple bucks. Get yourself a plastic elec. box to put it in, so it's safe, follow all electrical guidelines and you will be able to set you fan speed the same as you dim your lights in your house.

If you don't feel comfortable with playing with electricity get someone who does to help you.

This you can make up complete without the worry of live wires. Then just plug in and go.

I would personally take a 10' extension cord and cut it in half and this is where your dimmer will go! Then mont on wall.
Male end: leave about 5 feet or enough to get you to the main power outlet. connected to dimmer, then another 5 or so feet of extension with female end to plug your fan into.

I like this way as you can just unplug the fan and move, and you always have a dimmer switch witch is not hard wired to your main power.

Back
Top Bottom