Proper Lighting - Finishing Up Grow Room

magicfingers

420 Member
I'm working with a 6.5' x 6.5' area - I'm set on using LED lights, and was curious as to what wattage would be the best for 6-10 plants in that area. Much love guys! The strain I'm currently working with is Green Crack. Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

There are many variables to the question you asked, but I'll give you an answer that will give an idea of what you must consider.

The standard most light manufacturers go by, is a light that can produce 1 gram per watt. I didn't say it would, I stated it can. Everything else must be close to perfect for this to happen.

With that being stated. The recommended wattage for LEDs to get 1 gram per watt is 35 watts per square foot.

6.5 x 6.5 = 42.25 square feet of floor space.

42.25 sq ft x 35 w = 1478.75 watts.

Now before you get too excited. That isn't claimed wattage of the light manufacturer, that is the wattage coming from the WALL. That would be 12.3 amps of 120 volt power (6.72 amps of 220).

So you see, to get 1 gram of dried cured product from 42.25 square feet can be very expensive in equipment and power.

But, if you don't mind going with a lower value of less product per watt, you can reduce the amount of wattage per square foot.

I know this didn't answer your question in the manner you expected, but it should get you to start thinking about how much money you want to invest in equipment and power. Then you can decide how much of that available area you want to utilize.

Dropping knowledge! Honestly don't measure leds in watts. Why? Well, the answer is simple not all leds are created equally! Just like a HPS can't be compared to a florescent bulb.

900 ppfd is a good a good number to shoot for. Ppfd measures how many photons strike a one cubic foot of area per second squared.

It's important to know because 40 watts of one light may deliver half of what another 40 watt light can, or double the same light.

In that large of a space I would recommend multiple small lights. Don't fall into the trap of buying one center hung unit. Even if it's 1200 bucks it won't cover the corners of even a 5x5.

What is your budget? Can you do some minor electric wiring? The Samsung diodes are the future in my opinion or are the now, and are always improving. They are white leds. True full spectrum. 12 band and all that stuff nearly obsolete. No longer does a unit consist of various colors but is instead tuned to the desired Kelvin.

Anyways check out our sponsor timber. They have quantum boards and cobs. Both are great. But will cost far more than the 400 bucks for running 4 600 watt HPS MH in that space and killing it. Simply get the cool tube or similar enclosed units and duct them together to an exhaust.

@TheMadDabber is right that all LEDs are not created equal, and that a single center hung light would be inefficient. Intensity drops off rapidly as you move from directly under the light.

Timber would also be my choice for manufactured light fixtures. The reason is that their products can be upgraded rather easily as knowledge or technology changes.

If you choose a COB based light, you need a COB for every one to four square feet of your grow space. You need that COB to put out 6000 - 9000 lumens per square ft. Why do I specify lumens, when PAR is king among growers? COB manufacturers specify the light output in lumens, not PAR and it's easy to reference those figures. Also a fixture with adjustable intensity is a real bonus as you can adjust light intensity with a knob rather than height.

Which COB or LED manufacturer do I recommend? Any of CREE, Bridgleux, Citizen, or Samsung. The lifetime costs, including initial purchase, and electrical are very close for COBs or LEDs made by these manufacturers. Efficiacy, or light output per watt varies from about 120 - 180 lm/watt. Those with a lower efficiacy put out a little more heat than those with a higher efficiacy. It's a pay me now or pay me later situation, as those COBs or LEDs with a higher efficiacy cost more. For information on what color light to get, I'll refer you to GrowMau5 on YouTube. I went with 3000K Citizen COBs as the base for flowering.

I agree with what most people said there is a new start up company called FOLUX SOLUTIONS LED. They use Samsung diodes, and are basically a QB led but not as expensive. Check them out I have 2 of the 240 kits and it's killing it in a 4 by 4

I have the same size room,I want to go LED,,, purchased Train Wreak only going to start a few plants for now, what wattage lights are recommended for this size room and the few plants I am starting,,TKS

1250 - 1500W from the wall for flowering, about half that for veg. The general rule of thumb for LEDs is 30-35W / sq ft. Your mileage will vary with the quality of the light.

I have the same size room,I want to go LED,,, only going to start a few plants for now, what wattage lights are recommended for this size room and the few plants I am starting,,TKS
@TimberGrowLights(.com)

You can enter you ft2 and they will give you options.

@TimberGrowLights(.com)
You can enter you ft2 and they will give you options.

They have nothing that will cover the whole area. Four of their Model 4VS would be a good choice. Start with one or two, and get the rest as you can afford them and expand. You're looking at $2400 for whole tent coverage. Four smaller light fixtures are probably better than one large fixture. They are easier to set up, and it's advantageous to be able to position them at different heights for different strains.

I really like Timber and their rail system, but just couldn't afford their fixtures. Alternatively you can build your own in a day or two for less than half that, as I'm doing.

Start with one or two, and get the rest as you can afford them and expand. You're looking at $2400 for whole tent coverage. Four smaller light fixtures are probably better than one large fixture. They are easier to set up, and it's advantageous to be able to position them at different heights for different strains. I really like Timber and their rail system, but just couldn't afford their fixtures.

Good advice to expand as you go. One reason for me getting a known and respected (and proportionally priced) LED from @TimberGrowLights was that if, for some reason, I didn't want to keep growing indoors I could sell it in a hot minute. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom