Proper way to decarboxylize

toolman0114

My wife wants me to make her some cannabis capsules. I have the capsule maker, and empty capsules.
I know I need to grind the herb very fine and bake it in the oven.
At what temperature & for how long?

No no no. You don't want to eat that much, or eat it at all. That capsule gimmick is absolute bullshit and misinformation in my opinion.

I've seen websites discussing making Cannabis oil and filling up these capsules with it and swallowing them.
Baking Cannabis and filling capsules with it is new to me, but also not the correct way to administer the medicine. Furthermore, by digesting it, the benefits are greatly reduced. It's a great way to get high for a while, but it doesn't do much for medicinal use since the effectiveness is greatly reduced.

This is how to properly make Cannabis oil: How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil It also includes information on how to correctly decarboxylate the oil as well.

As for administering the oil, this is the correct dosing information: How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Thank you, we were told capsules work. She bakes with cannabutter, and uses a vaporizer. She has severe back problems and uses cannabis for pain relief.
Will check out the oil.
Thanx

The capsules CAN work, but not effectively as the oil. And when the oil is used correctly, she won't have ANY high/euphoric feelings, and she can easily go about her normal day without pain, and without high feelings.

For pain, a high CBD strain and lower THC strain would be most effective.

Edibles and vaping are great for the times when the added relaxation of a high is needed, especially bed time with a strong Indica. Nothing could help her sleep better.

During day time using a Sativa oil, she won't feel any high, but a lot of folks DO feel the extra energy boost from the Sativa, and that works great when there are errands to run, or chores to do. If she was using an Indica oil, it will help her sleep, without the high feelings.

I would love to try making oil, but seems a little confusing. Also, the strongest alcohol I can get is 151 proof rum. Not sure if that would work. I heard there is another method to make oil that isn't so risky. I seen it someplace but don't know where

What seems confusing? Maybe I can help clarify some of it for you.

And I'll refer this thread to 420Motoco. He's a caregiver with a lot of experience in making the oil, using it, and using it to treat patients.

I had a recent discussion with him about the alcohol issue (I can't get that high proof here either), and he suggested I look at a product called Spirytus, and Isopropyl 99.8% will work also.

Hi toolman,

Antics is correct; smoking, digesting, edibles is not the correct way for medicinal purposes. What is out on the net is for euphoria based info. In fact doing your meds this way can have negative effects, especially with man made meds. Blood pressure meds, sleeping meds, pain meds when euphoric can cause blood pressure to drop and so will the peeps eating them. If you want pain management only you need a high cbd strain. I also recommend mixing the high cbd strain with a high thc strain (taken correctly there is no euphoria and pain goes completely away while everything else like glands, organs, blood pressure, sugar levels and a plethora of other issues heal. You should ask Antics for the links. Learn the correct way and your life changes not only in health but a wellness feeling second to none. Hope this helps, sorry if I interrupted, just like to see people get the correct intel. Chronic pain is no fun and has a huge snowball effect on overall health.
ps; Spirytus is an Polish Vodka and many specialty liquor stores sell it or can order it. Even if I had to go across a state line I would as Spirytus when cooked down and the decarboxylation process is complete there is 0 alcohol left. Making the concentrate is easy. The instructions are longer than most but in more detail for safety. If your bud is good so is the oil. When you make it you know whats in it...trust me, I've seen some cut bs out there.

Thank you, we were told capsules work. She bakes with cannabutter, and uses a vaporizer. She has severe back problems and uses cannabis for pain relief.
Will check out the oil.
Thanx

Thank you Antics & Motoco.
I will read the procedure Antics posted the link to and attemp to make it. Unfortunately 151 proof rum is all I can get. My fear is wasting an ounce or more of good bud if something goes wrong. My wife bakes with bud & uses her vaporizers, but I would love for her to be pain free by using oil. I guess I will give it a try.

Have you tried looking for Spirytus? A polish vodka 192 proof. A lot of speciality liquor stores carry or can order and delivered. Even so a 150 could work just do more rinses at the start.

This would be the best move you could make. Take the leap, your wife will thank you.

Bottom line, what ever your choice is its yours brother.

Thank you Antics & Motoco.
I will read the procedure Antics posted the link to and attemp to make it. Unfortunately 151 proof rum is all I can get. My fear is wasting an ounce or more of good bud if something goes wrong. My wife bakes with bud & uses her vaporizers, but I would love for her to be pain free by using oil. I guess I will give it a try.

I am going to try it.
Being I live in Canada 151 rum is the best I can get. I will do more washes to compensate, even let it soak for a few minutes.
I have most of what is needed.
I know she will be better of with it.
Thanx again

Glad to hear. Freeze your bud for 24 hrs and put you alcohol in there also as this allows about 6-8 minutes of washing before pulling out excessive amounts of chlorophyll, sugars and plant wax, etc. Don't let it soak, mixing will get the trichs out sooner. When its made make sure you read the dosing instructions plz. She will be better on it, so much so you will jump in on the fun also.

You can use a hotplate, takes longer for the decarboxylation process. Waring 'extra burner' for 50.00 would be even better with the adjustable rheostat. Just need a thermometer to check the temp. Its a workhorse also and great for mixing/warming up the oil to a low temp also.

Your welcome.

I am going to try it.
Being I live in Canada 151 rum is the best I can get. I will do more washes to compensate, even let it soak for a few minutes.
I have most of what is needed.
I know she will be better of with it.
Thanx again

Can I use fresh bud, from a just harvested plant? I can get blue mammoth and a purple mazar that are both ready to be picked. Will fresh bud work?

Sure can after its been cured. Also what I do is set it out on a cookie sheet covered with paper towels and let it air dry for a few hours. When the stem snaps cleanly its ready. Then freeze the flower and carrier for 24 hrs prior and your set.

Can I use fresh bud, from a just harvested plant? I can get blue mammoth and a purple mazar that are both ready to be picked. Will fresh bud work?

Ok, just make sure I gave it right, freeze the bud & 151 rum for 24 hours. Then stir & crush the bud when it's covered with the rum, but only for a minute or two, then drain & repeat, but for no more than about 8 minutes. Is that long enough to remove all the medication from the bud???

I have read that I could use 99.8% isopropyl alcohol, I can't get that but I can get 95% ISO, will this work better than the 151 rum?

Always the higher number of proof is a better pull (so yes it would be better than 151 rum) I would prefer 96% Spirytus to the ISO as it ALL evaporates off after the decarboxylation process. My opinion.

I have read that I could use 99.8% isopropyl alcohol, I can't get that but I can get 95% ISO, will this work better than the 151 rum?

I'm in ontario canada and the best I can get is 151 rum, or 95 ISO. I am gathering all the things needed. Need to buy a induction cooktop, infrared thermometer, metal measuring cup.

Hi toolman,

If I was you my choice would be the Cuisinart Fondue cooker if I had a choice starting out. Reason being the fondue cooker works better cooking down the oil because of the 'panning' motion involved. Its cheaper to start off with and also does double duty as double boiler in the decarb process. Go on the infared thermometer, metal measuring cup. If you do go with the induction starting out make sure it is adjustable instead of 'fixed' temperature settings.

I'm in ontario canada and the best I can get is 151 rum, or 95 ISO. I am gathering all the things needed. Need to buy a induction cooktop, infrared thermometer, metal measuring cup.

Back
Top Bottom