Proposal Seeks To Legalize Medical Marijuana In Fla.

MedicalNeed

Florida residents would vote on legalizing medical marijuana if a proposal filed by Rep. Jeff Clemens, D-Lake Worth passes.

Clemens' resolution – the first seeking to legalize medical marijuana through a constitutional amendment in Florida – would allow marijuana use only with a prescription and after the diagnosis of a debilitating condition.

"We have a lot of people suffering here in the state of Florida, and I don't think we need to be telling them that prescription narcotics are the way to go when we have other more natural avenues for them," Clemens said.

The resolution would put a referendum on the ballot in 2012 where 60 percent of voters would have to approve for passage. It faces long odds in a Republican-controlled Legislature. A spokesman for Gov. Rick Scott said he opposes legalizing marijuana.

Cathy Jordan, a 60-year-old Bradenton resident who's been fighting ALS for 25 years, said she's been able to survive because she uses cannabis.

"I have amazed neurologists for most of these years," Jordan said. "This is only because I use cannabis. If we are going to defeat ALS, then we have to look at every avenue available."

Calvina Fay, executive director of the St. Petersburg-based Drug Free America Foundation, Inc., said she doesn't expect the legislation to go anywhere, but remained critical.

"We already have in place a system that's widely abused with our legal prescriptions," she said. "If marijuana became legal, that same system of pill mills would be used to distribute marijuana."

Kim Russell, chairperson of People United for Medical Marijuana, has been part of a long-time effort to collect signatures for a statewide voter referendum on medical marijuana. They've collected about 29,000 validated signatures of the 676,811 needed, she said.

Russell was overcome by emotion as she spoke during the news conference.

"We've been working on this for two years, and we have lost tens of thousands of lives," she said.

Clemens said he's optimistic it will gain traction. He said colleagues in the House and Senate have expressed private encouragement and that he hopes to convert them to public supporters.

Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda, D-Tallahassee, teared up as Jordan spoke. She said she intends to cosponsor the legislation. She called it an "out-of-the-box" idea to bring down medical costs and improve medical care.

"Although this is a very old treatment, it would be very innovative in these days and times," she said.

Clemens said 15 other states have passed similar measures and that medical cannabis would generate $5 million to $12 million a year in tax revenue. Under the bill, insurance companies wouldn't be required to cover medical marijuana, and employers wouldn't have to allow its use in the workplace.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: tallahassee.com
Author: Jeff Burlew
Copyright: 2011 Gannett Co., Inc.
Website: Proposal seeks to legalize medical marijuana in Fla.

Good luck Florida. This should be voted on by the people, not the Governor. All the states that have Governors and other state politicians trying to take away the peoples vote, better start looking for ways to get them impeached.:peace:

Good luck Florida. This should be voted on by the people, not the Governor. All the states that have Governors and other state politicians trying to take away the peoples vote, better start looking for ways to get them impeached.:peace:
You got it right prohemp, if we the people vote for any bill, then the gov. should allow the will of the people to be law !! Otherwise, goverment is unnessary and corrupt !! But it's the same old story, $$ talks and bullshit walks !! And actually our senators and reps should'nt have the power to stop a bill from reaching the citizens for an up or down vote !! This is why people are fed up with goverment !! Goverment is'nt for just some of the population, but for everyone to have a say !! For anyone who ever floated a petition can tell of not being allowed to petition within 200 feet of a polling booth and just all types of discouraging rules and regulations !! Laws are made to protect the rich, and powerful !! And some of the most corrupt govs. are the local govs. in small towns U.S.A. !! But the good news is, we're getting smarter at fighting for our liberties and freedom !! When a law is so unfair to the citizens, that they no longer respect the law, then can we all agree that it's a bad law !! Using MJ is the only law i break, and It makes it impossible to get a job !! But I could be chief of police and i would'nt need to drug test, but then I can't work at wally world !! Is it just me or is there something inheirently wrong with that ?? I still have a class one lic. and can drive any truck , but no one can hire me, even if they want to !! Because of stupid rules set up by the gov. !! The almighty dept of transportation !!

Back
Top Bottom