Proposed Kitsap County Marijuana Zoning Too Limiting, Some Owners Say

The General

Washington State - Small commercial marijuana-growing operations should be allowed in rural as well as urban areas, according to nearly a dozen people who testified Monday night on marijuana zoning. The zoning, drafted by Kitsap County planners in response to the state's legalization of marijuana, would limit production and processing operations to areas zoned "urban industrial." Such areas are located mainly near Silverdale, Gorst and Bremerton National Airport.

Among those testifying was John Smith, who said county rules should incorporate the three tiers of growth operations defined by the state's Liquor Control Board. "My name really is John Smith," he told the Kitsap County commissioners as he stepped up to the microphone. "Many growers, myself included, have no interest in a large grow ... To buy an industrial-zoned property is not feasible for me. It is way more than I need."

Smith said small Tier-1 operations of less than 2,000 square feet could easily be located in rural areas without placing demands on electrical power or water systems, as would be seen with large Tier-3 operations up to 30,000 square feet. If located properly, such operations would not be intrusive on neighbors, he said. "I would like to do it out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees," Smith said. "Having a residence on the lot would increase security."

On the retail side of the marijuana industry, questions were raised about locating stores only in a zone called "highway tourist commercial." The effect was to limit sales to areas along Mile Hill Drive, Sedgwick Road, Gorst and a few spots along Highway 303 in East Bremerton. Greg Wall, a member of the South Kitsap School Board, said placing all but a few retail locations in South Kitsap shows "disrespect toward the south end of the county." Michelle Reid, superintendent of the South Kitsap School District, added that even with a 1,000-foot restriction around all schools, the zoning would allow marijuana stores in the vicinity of at least four schools in her district: Orchard Heights Elementary and Cedar Heights, Marcus Whitman and John Sedgwick junior high schools.

Karanne Gonzalez, a member of the Kitsap County Planning Commission, said the commission was given little time to review possible zoning options. A lot of retail owners would prefer not to locate near schools if they didn't have to, she said. The county should consider allowing stores in other zones, provided they can meet conditions to ensure compatibility.

About 30 people stayed until the end of Monday night's meeting to hear the marijuana discussion. The county commissioners postponed a decision on the zoning ordinance for two weeks to consider what they had heard. They will hold a study session with county planners at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 4. "This is a first go at this," said County Commissioner Josh Brown. "My opinion is that this is a bit of an experiment in our state ... I would like the staff to come up with different options for more flexibility." Whatever zones are chosen for marijuana, he added, they could be revised in the future after people see the effects.

Commissioner Rob Gelder said he would like to hear more about the varying size of operations. A Tier-1 facility would have far less impact than a Tier-3 facility, but that is not recognized by the county's proposed zoning. He said some consideration might be given to allowing marijuana businesses in rural locations known as "limited areas of more intense rural development," or LAMIRDs, he said.

"We have these areas in the county that were designated as job centers," Gelder added. "There are other business parks in the north end that have space ... " The state's Liquor Control Board has drafted rules for three types of marijuana licenses: producer, processor and retailer. A person may be both a producer and processor, but producers and processors cannot hold a retail license.

The board limited the total number of retail stores in the state to 334 and allocated the retail licenses by population. Kitsap County will receive a maximum of 10 stores, with two designated for Bremerton and one for Bainbridge Island. The Liquor Control Board determined that the total space for all production facilities will be 2 million square feet, and individual facilities can be up to 30,000 square feet.

County Commissioner Charlotte Garrido said she would like to hear more about the state rules guiding the county, including rules related to the use of pesticides and disposal of waste products in growing operations. Several prospective business owners pointed out that the clock is ticking for them to complete their plans. Applications for all three types of marijuana businesses must be submitted to the state by Dec. 19.

marijuana-cannabis-sea-of-green-sog.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Kitsapsun.com
Author: Christopher Dunagan
Website: Proposed Kitsap marijuana zoning too limiting, some owners say » Kitsap Sun

Back
Top Bottom