Proximity To School Prompts Closure Of Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A medical marijuana dispensary in Hacienda Heights will close this spring because it is located within 1,000 feet of a middle school, Supervisor Don Knabe's office announced Tuesday.

The dispensary at 15838 Haliburton Road, which was the first of its kind to open in unincorporated Los Angeles County in May 2005, has agreed to cease operations by April 30, according to the supervisor's office. Representatives for the dispensary, which is operated by the California Medical Caregivers Association, were not immediately available for comment.

Last year, the Board of Supervisors approved an ordinance regulating medical marijuana dispensaries, including provisions to eat and smoke cannabis on-site. That ordinance also barred dispensaries from operating within 1,000 feet of a school, church or library.

Under the ordinance, the Hacienda Heights dispensary is located too close to Newton Middle School.

Medical marijuana dispensaries are defined as "facilities that provide marijuana for medical purposes to patients or primary caregivers who have a related recommendation from a physician."

California voters approved Proposition 215 in 1996, making it legal for certain patients to use marijuana for the treatment of their illnesses.

"This is a big victory for us," Knabe said of the impending closure of the Hacienda Heights facility.

"As I have said before, this issue is not about whether medical marijuana is right or wrong -- the voters have already answered that question," he said. "What is most critical is ensuring the safety of our children and our neighborhoods. Closing this dispensary ensures we are keeping our neighborhoods safe."

Source: NBC4.tv
Copyright: 2007 NBC4.tv

Its bad and good in a way. Its good that the city and owner have come to a peaceful agreement. Its also great that the city is not working with the DEA to close down sites but instead is working with dispensaries to have them conform to the laws. Its kinda like the city is saying "Ok, were cool with you but just follow the laws and we won't mess with you."
Is my thinking wrong?

Thanks User for the article.

Yeah, dispensaries are everywhere in L.A. county so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure the owner will find another place to open his business again.

this is complete b.s.,its more than 1200 ft.away from the school, I go to haciendas club all the time,they told me "they aint closing shit."so up yours Knabe!

Back
Top Bottom