Pruning a super bushy mother. yes/no? unique circumstances (pics)

budtheory

Ok. A quick history. A plant showed up in a flower pot this summer in my downtown location...aka someone threw a bean in when rolling one up and tossed it in while BBQing with the homies. My wife and I just let it go out of pure entertainment. Ends up she was pretty dank and gave us a oz, even when in the shade most of the day, at the end of Oct. Anyways, I re-planted her and brought her in the house.

Then because I am a MMJ patient I considered this a sign, so have built a grow room. I have a veg area and a flowering area. In Dec she finally went into a legit room. I checked her daily for bugs for almost 2 months...nada. Transplanted her to Hempy and tried to get as much of the loose dirt out at that time.

On a side note: Right now my veg room is doing great with clones of the same mother and a few other clones I have got from a friend. Still....all clean, no bugs in the veg room.

In the flowering room:
Now, lets take a closer look at the original mother that I brought in...she is Day 15 of flowering.
I have been contemplating thinning her out though for a whiloe now, since when she was revivied it was from a budded plant, which caused crazy bushy growth.

Note also that she has started budding and I think I can see what looks like growth that will become big colas....but I also see other growth in the middle that is just budding slowly and would be small at best... it may be spider mite infested at worst. It even seems to trap dead growth, which I decided to really get as much of it out as possible and did a clean out job, when my worst nightmare happened.....

In the process of pulling out dead growth from the inside I find speckled leaves, my worst fears have been confirmed...spider mites. I put them under a microscope and see this:
mite.JPG

So, it doesn't seem to be too far spread. I have since cleaned both rooms, and the rooms that are connected to both rooms with Ortho Defense... spraying everything (except plants) and everywhere has been wiped down.

I have made a tabacco/cayene pepper spray that I am misting them with (last night and tonight) Wednesday I get paid and plan to get our sponsers product for spider mites.

But should I also go in and trim out anything that doesn't look like it has the potential to become a nice cola?
Trim out any leaves with mite speckles and improve the colas chance to get all those additional root resources, not to mention get rid of the mite infested leaves?
Trim it out so that it doesn't seem so thick that it traps dead leaves?

Help is much needed. Here are pics of the mother about 3 days ago. Buds now are full of little clusters of pistals sprouting everywhere.
IMGP1581.jpg

But from the side she looks like this...

IMGP1506.jpg

Iv'e heard both sides of the pruning debacle.
Pruning in Veg seems like a no-no to me and that's what I have read.
In flowering I remove the inner-growth that is sub-par in order to get more light/air circulation. Most (if not all) pruning I do is from the bottom or lower portion of the plant.
I have never had spider mites so I can't speak to that problem.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck!

Under normal curcumstances you don't want to prune a flowering plant. Stresses it out a little and slows the flowering process, but lookin at the pics I say hack away some of that jungle you got there. You'll want to thin out the leaves to open up the center to more light. As for pruning if ya haunt already it would be ok to prune the lower branches and bud sites that aren't getting light. Prolly have to do that more then once. That will devert more energy to the canopy.

I just noticed mites in my grow area, I'm going to take care of it sns-217, it's made from rosemarry oil, all natural and can be used when your plants are in flower. I read on here of a guy who made his own and tested it agianst the ssn-217 with same results. It works great.
He just mixed it with water and sprayed it on his plants, it kills the eggs also.
I'm looking for his post now, it's alot cheaper to mix your own.
Hope this helps to get rid of those little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom