pruning roots

spazer

whats the best way to prune the roots on a mother plants to avoid them becoming root bound?:thanks:

Im going to re-veg a plant thats finished flowering and use it as a mother.

Surprised no one responded. I don't have a clear answer as never took a saw to my root mass but can offer my experiences to perhaps narrow it down a little...

To start, I've understood that you can run the mass a little dry (when root bound it will remain as 1 big lump, wet or dry), then pull it out of the pot & cut the outside 2-3" of the medium off. This includes all sides & the bottom, perhaps removing the loose soil on top. Replant the new root stub & treat as if in intensive care for a week or two.

The easiest route would be to simply pull the root mass from your current pot & put it into a larger pot. Suppose this would depend on how big she is though...? Least trauma to the plant & will get a root mass that penetrates throughout th epot.

With that said, mj is robust, so if you take care of her before & afterwards, she should be fine. I've tried aero, killed practically all my roots, & with enough time, got them to grow back. The plants sucked, but you can do it if determined, over time. Also, my reveg plants haven't ever been healthy, compared to normal plants that is. It also took a very, very long time to reveg & get normal looking leaves (still perhaps slower vs before flowered her...?).

I would recommend taking genetic copies before flowering next run such that you can avoid all of this. None of these methods are "normal" for the plant, so it will inevitably stress the plant & poss throw her into hermi (genetic stability issue). You can also try pollenating her if you have any. Get seeds & run it over again, taking copies before flow. You may get a better plant this way.

Good luck, but if determined, you can get it done. Best.

Back
Top Bottom