Pruning to terminate growth

Skybound

Does anyone have literature or an opinion on pruning to terminate growth? I currently know that topping will produce 2 new growths, but does this rule apply during flowering? A fellow 420er (Light Addict) developed a new style of growing called Fluxing whereby a plant is topped once very low to the ground and LSTed straight out to the walls then all growth is allowed to grow upwards. I plan to grow out 1 maybe 2 (depending on gender of both) plants in a grow cabinet and stretch each plant out to produce 12-16 bud sites each. I know when the horizontal branching is being developed, there's a good chance that more side branches will grow than I want and may feel the need to chop the extras down to divert max potential to branches I leave growing. The thing is, I probably don't want to do that if cutting off a side branch will force the stem that supplies it to grow out 2 more shoots.

Is there a rule of thumb or something that a grower could cut a branch say 1/2" or better off the main stem and that wouldn't produce new growth? Is is as simple as cutting anywhere will always produce 2 new growths? Or is there a sort of clause in plant growth of this plant that if you cut it so far away from it's beginning, it will just accept the loss and focus only on remaining growth?

From my understanding, if you cut growth on the main stem, you will always get two new growths from the immediate nodes below that stem. Now if you cut these nodes (that usually form the 'Y' shape in a topping) the plant will then direct its auxins towards whatever remaining shoots that are left.

New growth only arises from node points, so if you cut the main stem, that wound will just heal over.

you don't want to do this during flowering. you need the the branches to be well developed with large fan leaves before flowering for the best yield.

I'm not focused on yield. Being in a confined space, my potential will already be limited. My approach is to limit the amount of branches that a plant produces in the Flux style, then each plant can grow a specific amount of single cola branches and focus all potential and energy on the branches that I have left.

Back
Top Bottom