Pruning

Cannaconnect

I HAVE 4 WEEK OLD plants and they are 8 “ height roughly. Is it ok to prune the leaves that are under bigger leaves and they don’t really look like a full leaf, to cut them out?
So the powe can go up and they have a little more space under to breath better and keep bugs away. ?

Attachments

• 1E44A870-0218-40DD-BC6F-ACF453372833.jpeg
    1E44A870-0218-40DD-BC6F-ACF453372833.jpeg
    996.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 383215A2-CB9E-464E-A1C7-2859874D04B2.jpeg
    383215A2-CB9E-464E-A1C7-2859874D04B2.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 67B8737D-B57A-48B1-B93A-4A1FF77A7A3E.jpeg
    67B8737D-B57A-48B1-B93A-4A1FF77A7A3E.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 130
Your AutoPot system will grow taller plants! I run the AutoPot GL so I can fill my grow space top to btm without topping. I get bigger yields without topping and finish 2-3 weeks sooner as well.

For me, the time to harvest is a decider... I need the flower space. I sometimes top veg plants if they don't make it into flower this round. I usually have extra plants so I will top to slow down the VEG process but not always depends on how fast the VEG plants are growing.

I need a good reason to top plants. Usually there's not a reason good enough. Too large a plant is not all that bad of a problem for me.

Topping doesn't reduce yield, it usually increases yield.

It does slow veg time.

I said "over time" I can harvest 1 plant not topped in 45 days. There's no way you can do that AND your VEG time is at least 3 weeks longer. For most home growers topping is something for I don't know I think its one of those "bro science" things that go with flushing.

It doesn't do what you think it does.

Do a side by side with clones from the same plant top 1 and run the other natural. You will be puffing your non-topped plant and your topped plant will still be growing.

It's all good, try it and see.

I'm concerned with height, but I'll give her a go

The problem with height is how much less light the lower bud sites get. It’s not the height itself.

If you’re outdoors, or have tons of side lighting or something height is no issue to yield.

The only other issue with height is if you have a low ceil
I said "over time" I can harvest 1 plant not topped in 45 days. There's no way you can do that AND your VEG time is at least 3 weeks longer. For most home growers topping is something for I don't know I think its one of those "bro science" things that go with flushing.

Do a side by side with clones from the same plant top 1 and run the other natural. You will be puffing your non-topped plant and your topped plant will still be growing.

That’s a plant count issue. I’m in Michigan. We’re allowed 12 plants.

My light will cover a 4x4 area. I flower 4 at a time. I can literally veg 24 weeks if I want to and not exceed 12 plants,and always have my flower tent going.

Yield is more a matter of light coverage than plant numbers. A 4x4 light footprint is only going to yeild so much. 12 tiny plants in a sea of green, 4 big plants in the same space will pretty much get the same yield.

Now, starting from scratch, yes, you can flower a non topped plant sooner (less veg time) but in a continual grow it’s irrelevant
A given strain flowers in a given time. As long as you have new plants ready to put in the flower room after harvest, veg time is irrelevant.

I grow continually aka perpetual. Dont top plants unless absolutely needed in VEG to control plant size because they didn't make it to flower in time. I don't usually VEG longer than say 40-45 days the time to harvest and usually run clones.

The 40-45 days in VEG with clones is after rooting. Seed plants take longer of course.

For yield I consider Space/time/biomass (dry weight harvested flowers) and also can calculate my GM/Watt which tells me how my lamps are performing over time as well.

gm/watt without a time consideration is not really very good way of calculating yields.

Kinda like saying "I grew this one huge plant vegged it for 9 months flowered it for 3 months and got a pound off her."

We can grow a # plus in a 4x4 in 2 months.

Which way gets you a better yield?

I grow continually aka perpetual. Dont top plants unless absolutely needed in VEG to control plant size because they didn't make it to flower in time. I don't usually VEG longer than say 40-45 days the time to harvest and usually run clones.

The 40-45 days in VEG with clones is after rooting. Seed plants take longer of course.

For yield I consider Space/time/biomass (dry weight harvested flowers) and also can calculate my GM/Watt which tells me how my lamps are performing over time as well.

gm/watt without a time consideration is not really very good way of calculating yields.

Kinda like saying "I grew this one huge plant vegged it for 9 months flowered it for 3 months and got a pound off her."

We can grow a # plus in a 4x4 in 2 months.

Which way gets you a better yield?

Yield is subject to many factors. If you’re only goal is yield quick flowering indica packed in a sea of green will get you there.

If you’re growing a long flower sativa you’ll never yield as much on a yearly basis.

I grow all sorts of strains. A 100+ day sativa will be a big yielder. Will it out yield a SOG?

I've never grown for yields.

Topping well you're just stressing the plant beyond anything that is remotely normal.

Apical Meristem - there are 2

Root Apical Meristem

Shoot Apical Meristem

What are their functions?

Never mind just cut them off. <-- that's me joking.

If you read up on what they are, you're "topping" is actually achieving the opposite of your intended purpose.

All I'm saying is, know the purpose of what you do in the garden (in life is good too).

That and I'm not saying not to top plants but its not something we should be doing as a regular process. So why I asked about the reasons when people say they want to top plants. IF its yields and that answer seems to be at the top of the answer pool, I respectfully disagree.

Back
Top Bottom