Psychologist View On Legalization

Dealzer

Hey all. I just knocked out college with a psychology degree and plan to get a business psychology degree for my masters program. There was a lot of discussion about marijuana use in our classes. Remember, professors are Doctors of psychology if they are teaching the subject so they have 10 years of hardcore training in the subject matter.

Ok, here are the facts that were unanimously agreed upon by all professors.

1. Marijuana was made illegal at the time because it was bunched up with all the other drugs. And yes, other drugs are horrible for your brain.

2. Humans are always looking for a vice. The brain seeks an escape from work and life in general. This is why we have alcohol. You can find it in any country and mostly anywhere on the planet. Its a vice. The problem is that alcohol causes many more problems than marijuana but isn't a horrible substance overall unless it is abused.

3. Marijuana doesn't really cause long term damage but I personally believe it should not be used unless the user is 18 years old. This is because the brain is developing until the age of 25 so 18 would be 7 years before full development. Of course, the 18-25 isn't as critical as 1-18 so, yes, it is better to restrict the age limit to 25, but this country sees the age of 18 as being an adult.

4. Marijuana has pain relieving qualities, but most people don't know it prevents all kinds of illness. I'll tell you why. Most people don't know that stress is a direct cause of illnesses, cancer, heart attacks, and even headaches, stomach issues, and balding. STRESS IS THE #1 KILLER in most modern societies. Living in America, we all have stress as this is a high paced complicated society. The idea is to keep stress at a minimal level with the least harm to your body as possible. For example, you may have a fantastic relationship with a man or woman; so this is one route to take. Alcohol is a route some take but there are some risks. Marijuana poses little to no risk to the user and can sooth stress to those that enjoy it. I personally don't smoke, but I am speaking on this subject matter because I find that it can help our society and not hurt it.

I am also aware that in many other countries, such as Israel, people smoke weed on their way to work out on the sidewalks. It is much more accepted in various countries around the world.

Not to mention, the revenue generated for both business owner and the country as a whole.

I did not study counseling in college, I lean more towards social psychology as this is what fascinates me most. I truly believe marijuana legalization will:

1. Improve mental and physical health (as described above)
2. Generate revenue for both citizens and government alike
3. Completely decriminalize smokers

I am completely against all other drugs major drugs. Other drugs are completely destructive in every which way possible. But after 5 years in college and studying the brain as it corresponds with society has led me to the conclusion that marijuana legalization solves many more problems than it presents.

i agree with what you said but i coulda said all that and more without goin through university lol... i use to really wanna take psychology but lately iv found it to be one huge joke *shrugs*

Well, its not what everyone thinks psychology is. Although counseling is the most popular, the other fields are all based on scientific evidence on what works and what does. For example, politicians make decisions on intuition while psychologists study these decisions in a lab and find scientific evidence on what works and what doesn't. Its fascinating. Remember, its a 150 year old science but its growing rapidly. All those statements above have been scientifically tested for accuracy. Its really complicated and uses a lot of mathematics. Its fun though. Gotta do what you love I guess.

Ya i find the counseling side to be the big joke, especially with stuff like anxiety and depression and other mental illnesses.....

"For example, politicians make decisions on intuition while psychologists study these decisions in a lab and find scientific evidence on what works and what doesn't."

I wouldnt say politicians make many decisions on intuition heh... they definitely make a lot of decisions on what psychologists teach them tho from psychologists studying them since the past

Yup, it will increase in the near future though. One of my professors game a congressional hearing or something like that for psychologists to have a prominent role in politics.

NO hate here, just an opinion.

I am glad you understand the plight upon us and see the reality of it. As said by another, it didn't take $$$ and a professor for me to see that.

They should call it psychological engineering. Its a study of mankind and how to manipulate it. It really nothing more than a history lesson specific to people. It's all influenced by the environment and societal brainwashing along the way.

I study the psychology of deer so I can hunt them and eat them, or persuade them to do as I wish.. Hmmm is there a parallel here?

I call it VOODOO....

I give them as much validity as a fashion designer. All hoping to sell their wares.

I am sure you will do well in your career. As P.T. Barnum said "There is a sucker born every minute"

The next big step in your life now is this, will you make your way and keep your human compassion to help others. or will you sell your soul to corporate? Too many today follow the money.

What's in your psyche?

Hey Smoks. I totally understand your point completely and I would mention that your points are completely valid as far as America and some other countries (China) are concerned but not all countries. Things have changed. Greed and power are running the show. As far as myself, I would never engage myself like that. Its not in me. I'm way more people orientated and envy countries that have mastered this craft.

Not to say it is a worthless tool, its more like man has a way of perverting everything for personal gain. In the right light is can be seen as WISDOM being passed down. We all know there are lessons to be learned by history. I hope you stay fast in your course and remain who you are. Standing amongst your peers and not sharing the common opinion is a hard route to take. But it is the route of integrity and honor if there is any left in this world.

:thumb:

"A lot can be said of a man by how he treats those that can do nothing for him"

:peace:

Smokesalot hit the nail on the head... i couldnt of said it better myself

My main beef with psychologists is most of them are just in it to get the money... They really dont have any idea how the brain works its far to complex and they dont even work to have any idea most the time... ex- you cant just solve depression and anxiety by solving depression and anxiety as a whole... every single person has different reasons and went through different events personalized to themselves that caused there depression and anxiety

Back
Top Bottom