PTSD Therapy: Fantasy, Fiction and Fact

Ms. RedEye

420 Support
420 Staff
Many Vietnam PTSD Vets told me that cannabis/marijuana worked better than any pharmaceutical they were given. I have been given several of these medications and while taking them I would NOT be able to write articles like this.

As many of my readers know, I have PTSD myself some 64 years after battle exposure in WWII. I am also a retired Medical School Professor of Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology.

Both backgrounds give me an avid interest in effective PTSD Therapy. I have also successfully treated maybe as many as 1000 PTSD Victim Veterans.

I was somewhat surprised when Vietnam Vets in my care told me that they found marijuana to be very effective against battle terrors and PTSD. Most were Infantry Veterans and they went through Hell before they got sent home.

I knew that very many of my WWII Vets had become alcoholics and many died of this. Back then it was considered sissified to complain about "battle fatigue" but it was OK to get drunk and pass out every night. The only Vets who had VA care were those in VA Psychiatric Hospitals and they were over medicated with barbiturates and powerful tranquilizers. Both turned them into mindless vegetables.

The Nam Vets seem to be the first to get presumed real PTSD treatment in large numbers. The powerful Chlorpromazines such as Thorazine were soon found to be unsatisfactory but the Valium-like anti-anxiety Benzodiazapine drugs were tried. They calmed and put patients to sleep but caused bad addictions.

This called for some new type of therapy. Some PTSD patients exhibit severe depression but this didn't call for stimulating amphetamines which were also addictive. A new class of anti-depressants were presumed to work. The leading ones were Zoloft, Prozac, and Paxil followed by many others. I haven't found or heard of anyone who felt they were satisfactory. The Tricyclics such as Elavil were tried. They also have bad adverse effects. Then came other newer anti-depressants and they were no better.

The anti-convulsants came next. Neurontin seems to be the most prominent. I took it myself for a few days. It was the WORST mind scrambling and stupefying event of my life.

Some thought anti-adrenaline drugs might work. They didn't. Finally atypical anti-psychotics showed up. Who said PTSD victims were psychotic?

In the face of unsatisfactory pharmaceutical treatment several new therapies were dreamed up.

It seems that psychologists counseling and group therapy might work (not psychiatrists — they were too expensive). That didn't work well either. PTSD Vets CANNOT talk about their demons. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy seems to be an offshoot of the above. It doesn't seem to work either. Then came Virtual Reality Therapy exposing PTSD Victims to battle sounds, artillery, mortars, and heavy machine gun noises. Most of us PTSD Vets CANNOT tolerate that. Then came Art Therapy, Sculpture Therapy, and Horse Riding Therapy — there are probably more.

As I said in the beginning my Nam PTSD Vets told me that cannabis/marijuana worked better than any pharmaceutical they were given. I have been given several of these medications myself and while taking themm I would NOT be able to write articles like this.

The Marijuana Clinic where I worked now has 65 thousand clients. I'll bet at least 6 thousand, or 10%, are PTSD Battle Vets. I believe this because about one thousand of my 4 thousand patients were PTSD Vets

News Hawk: MsRedEye: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Salem-News.com
Author: Dr. Phil Leveque
Copyright: 2009 Salem-News.com
Website: PTSD Therapy: Fantasy, Fiction & Fact - Salem-News.Com

I was a medic in the Army for 4 years before being booted out on a medical discharge. I have seen many things. I can in no way compare what I've been through and seen with what my Vietnam predecessors had to endure, however I can understand to a degree. Myself, and many of my men that I treated, fought beside, and bled beside, would have to agree that after all the medications and 'therapies' we have been through are in no way effective compared to a simple, little, HIGHLY useful plant...Marijuana.

My hat is off to those of you who support this useful product. To those of you who have negative things to say about it....well, you go on a patrol, get shot at, have IEDs explode under your up-armored Humvee or the one next to you where your battle buddies are riding, see the things that we have seen, go and ruck through the miles of sludge and literal feces while having to constantly be on the guard, wondering if that washing machine or barrel or animal carcass is actually a bomb, or if that man that staring at you has an AK-47 hidden, or the ones that have them in plain site are going to, at any second, lift it and aim it in your direction, and then come home with your own demons.

Then, and only then, after all the medications and therapies don't work, and you try Marijuana to help sleep at night. To play with your kids. To go out into the masses in public. To be able to drive down the street without getting a cold sweat.

Then and ONLY then can you have anything to say about it.

MsRedEye, I salute you and the work you do for us veterans! Hoaah!

I'm a Combat Vietnam Veteran 69/70 I have PTSD and its bad to the bone. I've taken Zoloft, 300 mils a day, got burned out on it right now I take Paxil 60 mils a day. Weed works better than all the Meds. The VA finds out I'm in rehab.
My heart goes out to the one's that can't smoke the weed.
Thanks MsRedEye.

Thanks for posting this MsRedEye.

I have amazing respect for anyone in any branch of our millitary.

I suffer from PTSD due to prolonged sexual and physical abuse (not to mention the emotional abuse that came with both) and have terrible night terrors and flashbacks on a regular basis. I also suffer from insomnia due to the fear of night terrors. MJ has been the ONLY thing that has helped, yet living in FL I cannot get a medical card, so I medicate in fear of being arrested every single day. Fear on top of PTSD really helps, right? Right.

I have flashbacks all the time, I take zanax for the times that I get all wired up over nothing. Cold sweats, I could go on but I want. My peace be with you Thanks

My thanks to Dr. Leveque. He's an informed, strong advocate for those seeking Cannabis treatment for relief of PTSD.

I've seen estimates that nearly 20% of service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from PTSD or depression. The true percentage is probably much higher because many go undiagnosed. Hopefully our politicians will educate themselves about the benefits of Cannabis--so that our Veterans and others suffering PTSD can legally ease their suffering.

All you have to do is look into their eyes they have that far a way glair. I bet the 20% is a real low number. I've had PTSD for at least 40 years and wasn't aware of it. In 2000 my wife told me to either get help or hit the road. If it wasn't for the weed I would have not made it this long. I know now that the whole world isn't crazy its me.
Peace

Back
Top Bottom