Purging

Koolbudz

Ok, I am confused.....

I see all over the place that u need to purge in a vacuum chamber or vacuum oven yet I also see where you dont have too for small batches....

So what is considered a small batch which doesnt require a chamber or oven and without such equipment how do you know if you have cleared all the butane and such when doing a warm water bath type purge?

I used a hot plate heated then turned off right when water starts to boil, blast into dish which was in the heated water, let it bubble out till no bubbles, every once in a while turning heat on to warm water.... Also stirring concentrate while bubbling off...

Once liquid is gone I let cool and scrape the dish....

I did just order a chamber so I will purge with that but just wondering the consensus on the purge?

This last run I ended up with 4g finished, is that small enuff to be ok with no vacuum?

Ok, I am confused.....

I see all over the place that u need to purge in a vacuum chamber or vacuum oven yet I also see where you dont have too for small batches....

So what is considered a small batch which doesnt require a chamber or oven and without such equipment how do you know if you have cleared all the butane and such when doing a warm water bath type purge?

I used a hot plate heated then turned off right when water starts to boil, blast into dish which was in the heated water, let it bubble out till no bubbles, every once in a while turning heat on to warm water.... Also stirring concentrate while bubbling off...

Once liquid is gone I let cool and scrape the dish....

I did just order a chamber so I will purge with chamber vac and digital heat pad. 250 on ama with the best value vac.that but just wondering the consensus on the purge?

This last run I ended up with 4g finished, is that small enuff to be ok with no vacuum?
4 gram nug run? About 60 grams in tube?

Attachments

• 15899195036641321579612694129140.jpg
    15899195036641321579612694129140.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 170
Ya i was gonna say you cant go off just observation . Theres a proven and well used technique right there alone with the chamber. But with all the new tech in the last 8 yrs oils going past all this.

You need to vac purge any bho small batch or not. Don't fall for the whip it technique. There will still be residual butane left in that product.

I do have a non-zero level of concern , in regards to the possibility of butane contamination in extracts. That - plus common sense - is why I have never made a statement like, "Don't worry about it." One should always be aware of such things. However, I wonder if the general level of concern is somewhat overblown.

Yes, the inhalation of butane can cause euphoria, drowsiness, unconsciousness, asphyxia, cardiac arrhythmia, fluctuations in blood pressure and temporary memory loss, asphyxiation and ventricular fibrillation. And, yes, death. However, to do so, the quantity being inhaled must be relatively high. All of those things are a very real possibility - if one is one of the stupid kids (who mostly seem to be located in the UK, for some reason, but there are sporadic reports of the thing in other countries, too) who huff it straight from the container. In practical terms, to the extract user... To reach the required gross amount of butane, your product would not technically be describable as "cannabis extract, contaminated with butane" but, instead, "butane, contaminated with cannabis extract." Even then - if, for example, that four gram result was a rapidly-boiling liquid slurry instead of a solid - the primary danger would be a potential fire.

Nonetheless, we absolutely should be taking steps to minimize its presence in our extracts. It's not health food, lol. And this goes double for anyone in the audience who consumes more than, say... 250 grams of cannabis extract in one sitting ;) .

The boundary for drowsiness as a result of butane exposure, for example, is approximately 10,000 parts per million (that's 1%, which is considered to be rather high for this kind of thing). And that's not a single dose of air that contains 1% butane, it's breathing air that contains a 1% butane level for ten minutes. THAT'S what I meant when I stated that the issue might be somewhat overblown. Again... my level of concern is not zero. But I spend more time worrying about the possibility of contamination by mold spores. After all, you'd need less of those to pose a health risk (particularly in individuals who have a less than stellar immune system - which is not exactly unheard of, in a random sampling of medicinal-use consumers).

Sources:

Code:
https://www.journalagent.com/travma/pdfs/UTD-37999-CASE_SERIES-HOROZ.pdf

Had to buy new scale....Tube holds 90g wet (1oz dry?)..... So if the calculations I have seen are right I am gettin 5% blonde return at best so far. Nice outside may do another run tonight.....

I use 2 coffee filters over tube for filtration, is this going to benefit me vs 1 or 4 filters?

Back
Top Bottom