Purple Kush deficiency in veg stage: Need help please!

YodaTheRedEye

IMG_50917.JPG

Hello all,

Here's a quick rundown of what's up:

Purple Kush (2 weeks old since cotyledons opened) in soil mix 50/50 FFHP+FFOF w/ 30% perlite. This girl has never been fed nutes other than what's in the soil. She was watered on 02/10/16 w/ distilled water 7.1 pH w/ runoff of 6.09 pH & 898 ppm. She was watered again on 02/16/16 w/ distilled water 6.88 pH and the runoff showed 6.54pH with 232 ppm (the difference this time was I watered with a 20% runoff). I am pretty sure the deficiency is from the low ppm due to the 20% runoff at this point, but can anyone pinpoint exactly what this plant needs to fed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance!

Peace!

I would immediately use 1 tsp of Cal mag and water it..Than give it 24 hours to see if there is any change. Also, i would start using Fox Farm "Grow Big" or whatever nutes you feel comfortable using.

Thanks for the insight. I was actually planning on feeding with cal mag and big bloom on the next feeding. Do you think grow big at 1/4 strength would be safe at this point?

I'm doing some PK also and they are 3 weeks old today. Last week I gave them 1/4 strength big bloom and some calmag and she loved it. Then I watered normally and then last night she got half strength big bloom and grow big. Checked this morning and she grew a lot last night. If you have a journal I'll follow it.

Yes, using 1/2 tsp isn`t a bad idea and be careful with the nutes as well, because you and easily burn the roots...Also, use Distilled water when mixing with nutes and cal mag, so you can monitor the results of your plant better...

Thanks for your responses guys. This is my first grow and I don't have a journal yet. Prolly on the next grow I'll journal it up. Peace

Thanks for your responses guys. This is my first grow and I don't have a journal yet. Prolly on the next grow I'll journal it up. Peace
Follow mine if you want to see what the ladies should look like since I'm a week ahead of you. Just an FYI. It's my first grow also and they are thriving.

I`ve been doing this on and off for 10 years, and i assure you, you may fail on your first or even second grow, but, after you realize what you`re doing its very enjoyable..Don`t over water, don`t abuse the nutes, make sure you`re not buying cheap soil, don`t use Tap Water and you have proper lighting which is essential... Your yield will be tremendous and its the greatest feeling in the world...

I see several things in the above conversation that may help improve your grow Yoda. First off, your plant is too young to be having a deficiency, and yet, here it is. It does look like magnesium but that is an easy guess since you are using distilled water that contains no trace minerals. At this point however, your plant's major needs should be nitrogen, and yet this yellowing is starting in your first fan leaves.
We cant tell without a side view of your plants, but I am curious what size these containers are. I am also concerned about the wrinkled look of your leaves, and I think this and the yellowing point us to the major problems going on here.

I do think that you are starting to have a magnesium deficiency. Our weeds use massive amounts of magnesium, and since you are giving pure water, they are not getting it. I would recommend 1ml/gal of magnesium every other time all throughout veg, and 3ml/gal during flower. This fix only applies to the necrotic spot seen on your fan leaf; but I am not certain that it has anything to do with the yellowing.

The yellowing is denoting a macro-nutrient deficiency. Your plant is not getting the nitrogen that it needs, although there is plenty available in your soil. Most significantly are the downward pointing crinkled leaves trying desperately to evaporate excess water. This seems to indicate that there is something wrong with the roots at the bottom. Even though you waited 6 days between watering, something is wrong. How big are these containers? Are you using the lift method to determine when to water? Then again, it could be indicating that you are starting to become rootbound too... has watering slowed down recently?

Lastly, you are overthinking the pH thing. Don't worry about the run off... it is running off and not bothering anyone. Be more concerned with the water that remains in the container. Make sure that all incoming fluids are adjusted to 6.5, every time. The soil will take care of itself.

I appreciate your reply Emilya. I actually just printed your thread on watering techniques before I saw your amazing post. So funny! Do you think it may be a good idea to transplants her as she is in a 4" pot now. I would like to check those roots out to see what's up down there.

Yeah, pop her out of there and glance at her undersides.. you can just set her back down in there when you are done. If you see wrapping starting on the outside it is time to get her into the next sized container up, and force that rootball to keep getting bigger and denser. The slight bit of yellowing at the bottom... remember how that looks... this is the typical first sign that the roots cant supply the ever increasing nutrient needs of the rapidly growing plant. Plop her down in some fresh new soil on all sides, and she will go crazy, and that yellowing will go away.

Nice setup there. I have a 4x4x6 tent w/ 600watt mh & hps all vented out to my attic. I have started mine under CFL lights because I believe that the 600watts are so overkill at the moment. I may throw mine in the tent this weekend and see if that helps. Peace

Thanks to all who had some advice to give yesterday. I fed her some cal mag, big bloom & grow big yesterday evening and this morning she is booming. All leaves pointing up soaking up the light. Hopefully I will be able to return the favor to someone one day. Peace!

I would immediately use 1 tsp of Cal mag and water it..Than give it 24 hours to see if there is any change. Also, i would start using Fox Farm "Grow Big" or whatever nutes you feel comfortable using.
I ordered the "grow big" and silly me, i read after i bought it that it is for hydroponics. Can you use this stuff with soil?

I ordered the "grow big" and silly me, i read after i bought it that it is for hydroponics. Can you use this stuff with soil?

I do not recommend using this in soil. The nutrients in the hydro version of grow big are chelated in salts that are designed to break apart their bonds in the more acidic nutrient mixes used in hydro, and they will not work correctly in a correctly pH adjusted soil container. Soil pH centers at 6.5 and hydro at 5.8, which is 7x more acidic than soil! Hydro nutes just won't work right in soil.

Emilya, thank you. I did get the right one, The website was just confusing but while i have your attention. The soil I'm using is slow and enriched for 3 months. Should i not bother to use this unless i need it? I was gonna use little for when it starts flowering.

A Superior Growing Media for Flowers & Vegetables:
Composted materials, sphagnum peat moss, a wetting agent and enriched with a slow release fertilizer (14-14-14)
Guaranteed Analysis .05-.01-.03

Total Nitrogen (N): 05%
Available Phosphate: 06%
Potash: 03%

Emilya, thank you. I did get the right one, The website was just confusing but while i have your attention. The soil I'm using is slow and enriched for 3 months. Should i not bother to use this unless i need it? I was gonna use little for when it starts flowering.
well, since you asked :)

I don't believe that plants in veg need nutes if you are properly up-potting regularly to put them into larger containers of fresh soil. This goes double if that soil you are using already has slow release nutrients in it.

So your intuition was right, you probably don't need that Grow Big anyway. I still have grow big left over from the first time I bought a trio of FoxFarm nutes, years ago. In flower however, your weed's nutrition needs are going to change, and Grow Big will no longer be the appropriate nutrient... but check out the rest of what FoxFarm offers... they do have a very good line of nutrients, if you use them as recommended.

Emilya, I have been. Calmag is what i had in mind until i found this thread. What do u recommend for flowering? I transplanted the plants after 10 days, The roots were great, when i cut the solo cup open the roots were molded around where the cup let it, so i moved them to 3 gallon buckets with new soil. I just wanna be prepared incase something something along the lines of this thread happens i'm prepared.

Back
Top Bottom