Purple on the stems of the leaves

blk92mustang

Hi, I have a two plants, one of them the stems of the leaves have turned slightly purple. The plants looks fine, also the very top of the plant, the top bud, the very top hairs seem to have a purplish tint. The weather the past few days has been kinda cool, high's in the upper 50's-low 60's. The temp. at night has dipped into the high 40's, is this most likely just because of the cool nights? I just wonder, they are in buckets outdoors and I have just put some manure for fertilizer on top of the soil to wash in.

Growing slow is probably correct. The only thing I would add is that manure should be composted before adding it to soil. It is usually way too high in nitrogen, and can burn your plants. be carefull, and happy growing.
Vin

Yeah the manure I added has been composted,, sorry to note state that. I also put it in with the soil when I transplanted the plants to the bigger buckets when they were small, and it seemed to work well when I did this.

Sounds like phosphorus deficiency to me. Although, the cold may have something to do with it as well, depending on how long the plant is exposed to it and how cold the temps. really are.

Are the plants in flower or veg?

these are good quiestions, well my 2 cents, if the hairs have the purple hue, this means the plants indica, but before i say, i must ask ya, on the fan leaves, are the so to speak "fingers" skinny or fat, are they long or short, if its an indica, the "fingers" are gonna be fat and pretty short, compared to a sativa, anyway, p420 once said to drop the temps on indica's to bring out the purple hue characteristic, this may very well be whats going on, hey roor, if there was a phosphorus deficiency, dont you think it would have affected the plant sooner, it also would have stunted the growth of the plant during veg, as phosphorus is mainly used by the root system? what ya think? sound pheasable? if it was way high in nitrogen A: the leaves would be green as a mofo, and if there was too much nitrogen the leaves would have burnt and shrivled. also, if your plants are lacking nitrogen, an easy way to tell is look at the leaves, if there really light green, then theres more than likely a nitrogen def. what ya think? this is only what i think, what u guys think, iam open to suggestions as iam not always right.

The leaves seem to be medium fat. They are not super thin like a sative, but not really short either. The big fan leaves are about at big as my hand. Im sure it is some cross breed, they were just some really goods seeds I had from buying some green's s while back. I grew the seeds once before and they seem similar to the last one a few years ago. I will go check it out in the next day or two. Also I must note, this is one of the two. The other does not seem to have the same purplish tint to some of the hairs, the other plant looks more sativa. I used to different sets of seeds. Ill update soon, of what I see.

DankCloset said:
... hey roor, if there was a phosphorus deficiency, dont you think it would have affected the plant sooner, it also would have stunted the growth of the plant during veg, as phosphorus is mainly used by the root system? what ya think? sound pheasable?...

It could be that it only became P deficient once the plant began to flower and increase it's natural daily uptake of P from the soil, thus depleating the soil of this nutrient. That sounds most feaseable to me anyway.

To correct this, I would use either a high Phosphorus Bat Guano, or any other organic fert. high in phosphorus. Mostly, organic Tomato ferts. are widely availible in garden stores and very high in P to produce large fruits. These are an excellent source of Phosphorus and other nutrients, however they can be costly.

Also, your broad fan leaves describe an Indica Dom. plant, and as Dank Closet said, if you are exposing them to low temperatures they could be turning purple because of this as well.

I just took a look at the one plant today with the purple on the stems of the leaves. I noticed that 50-70% of the buds seems to have the pinkish-purplish tint to some of the hairs. I also noticed the the purplness on the stems of the leaves appears to be more of the top of the stem rather than the bottom. The plants seems to be growing well though, I noticed more crystals starting today along with more bud material. Thanks again for all your time and feedback you have given. To bad we can't twist one up to talk about shit.

blk92mustang said:
I just took a look at the one plant today with the purple on the stems of the leaves. I noticed that 50-70% of the buds seems to have the pinkish-purplish tint to some of the hairs. I also noticed the the purplness on the stems of the leaves appears to be more of the top of the stem rather than the bottom. The plants seems to be growing well though, I noticed more crystals starting today along with more bud material. Thanks again for all your time and feedback you have given. To bad we can't twist one up to talk about shit.

If may be possible that the colder temps. during the night time hours are bringing out these characteristics. In any case, a good fert. with Phosphrous will not hurt the plant at all, it will actually allow it to bloom bigger buds. Just remember to follow the instructions carefully. I always recommend Fox Farms "Tiger Bloom", or any of their products for that matter, simply because I have had good results with it.

PS- Pictures always help, and are appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom