Purple Stems

I bought a general hydroponics ph kit it includes tester, ph up, and ph down
Well I am not sure how you would use hydroponic Ph up with soil. i guess you can make a water mix and bring the Ph of your water to 6.0-6.2, and then feed the plant. However this will probably take some time before your plant actually stabilizes to that Ph. You may have to water them (how you normally do) over a course of several days before seeing the change in the run-off.

Again I am no soil expert, but why not use some of this stuff?
hydrated lime - Google Product Search

You can spread that out throughout the soil.

recently got purple stems, and think it may be heat since it is only at the top of the tallest of my two plants. However, it also preceeded a decreasing pH issue too, so I can't say with 100% accuracy that heat is a cause or merely correlation.

From my experience with stems reddening (the stripe 1st as urs are doing) as well as reddened petioles on upper or new growth. Most definitely looks like a phosphorus deficiency. This could be for a few reasons. But I recognized that right off the bat. Normally when i have had PH issues in the past the contorted/wrinkled looking leaves were a good indicator of ph problems. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it. I've dealt with this more times than I care to count. I thought it was normal til I saw the same strain got thru a cycle with green stems. When Its starts to clear up u'll see green patches popping up amidst the purple. On stems and petioles.

plants look fine i love purple stems,realy dont think anything is wrong.Some of the best bud i every grew had purple stems to be honest most of the ones i deal with do.realy sticks out on the blueberry.

So I just tested the runoff ph and it is 5.0, Should I be adjusting the ph in my nutrient solution prior to feeding?

Adjust ur PH after u've added and mixed all of ur nutes and additives. As for the purple stems. If its not a genetic trait then it can most likely be attributed to a phosphorus deficiency as I stated before. If ur plant is meant to have a purple stem, don't u think that the whole stem would be purple from jump? Just makes sense to me. With P deficiency u can still get a good harvest, but correcting the problem will improve the yield in most cases. Others may have other opinions, If ur a commercial grower then I'd say don't worry too much about it. If urr growing to breed, master a particular strain or growing specific meds for a specific condition then I would like to encourage u to try different P supplements to provide more P to meet ur plants demands This is a response to
I noticed that my heat and insecticide stressed plants have purple on the stems as well.
If any one (specifically KatoRica)has the time go back into my current journal, click the follow my grow link in the signature. U can see I've had this problem with a few plants. 1 finished this way and others are currently recovering. I'm watchin the purple go away. If u have the time, I'd like to encourage u to check it out.:peace:

Yeah I have been feeding just water for about a week now because I noticed some leaves twisting. I am about to start giving her Tiger Bloom, hopefully that will fix the P problem. I figured that was it, when I noticed the two oldest leaves at the bottom starting yellowing and the tips looked like someone held a lighter up to them.

SDC10200.JPG

Can't twisting also be a result of too much nitrogen?

Let me check. Ok. Nothin in my reading of 2 books suggest the contortion of foliage due to N. I saw a pic of a yellowing, dying leaf that was wrinkled, but it was dying and drying out. The only thing I know 4 sure that does it (twists/contorts leaves) are PH complications. If you have a N deficiency or toxicity ur leaves will either yellow or brown as they die. Hope this info is helpful.

I was looking at some plants this morning that are still partially red with the green patches. I'll post today later (maybe) or 2morrow. Its either a result of the phosphorus (P) boost in the bloom nutes from the last couple feedings or the Ph adjustment that I've been gradually making, which means my plants could've been mimicking a P deficiency. No way to know for sure because I stopped testing runoff. I just started eyeballing plants and trying to "listen" to them. Lost a few and learned some along the way. NW how I'll get the pics up soon. If I don't PM me to remind me please. :peace:

Healthy vs. Unhealthy Upper Stem Comparision Pics

Her go the pics.
Healthy>
Healthy_DCxSC_upper_stem_9-12.JPG

Unhealthy>
DCxSC_reddened_upper_stem_9-12_dar_51_flower.jpg

Here's pic of a plant tying to recover >
reddened_petioles_regaing_health_color_9-12.jpg
See the green coming back? At least I think that's what's happening.

Click the follow my grow link in my signature. An explanation i don't feel like retyping is in there.

ive been wondering about the purpling im getting in my petioles. one of my strains has a few red/purple stripes going up the stems of new growth. but my pH is dead on and ive been hittin em with high ppm nutes already.

i came across a few threads that said quite a few strains have the purple in the stems and petioles so it may not even be an issue. if your pH is on and you are feeding them balanced nutes dont change anything.

from those last few pics it does look like a nutrient issue, im glad they are on the mend.

Yes, test with your nutes in the water. Why are you re-potting to a smaller pot?

Oh man the pot that it was in originally was outside on the back porch. I just switched to one that was square instead of round and bell shaped, to save some space indoors.

always mix then test, some nutes will drop the ph below 6-5, make sure your ph is in the 6.2-6.8 level. smaller pot? if you dont have run off then you need to make sure your adequately watering. you should obtain about 20-25% fun off. good luck man! oh and the purp stems could be the strain, i have a Jamacian that is the only strain i have with purp stems. looks good tho.

Back
Top Bottom