Push vs pull airflow through cool tubes?

mazed

Hi to all 420 members, I'm setting up my first REAL grow room, to grow the sea of green method, I want to set up everything as efficient as possible, but without losing anything(trying to do the most with as little as possible). My budding chamber will be about 6' x 9' with (2) 1000w hps bulbs inside cool tubes on a light rail 5. I want to exhaust the chamber and pull the exhaust air through the cool tubes. So my question is...will pulling the air through the cool tubes be the same as pushing the air through the cool tubes? does pulling air have the same cfm as pushing? Will it cool the cool tubes as much or enough? I'm new to this forum and have spent the last few weeks pouring through tons of posts and gathering mucho info and I have much gratitude to all the people who spend the time it takes to post all this valuable info here to share with every one who wants it.:goodjob: I know there are a lot of brilliantly knowledgeable people in here and I'm no engineer, so I hope some one can/will answer this for me. thx

Different growers have different preferences and ideas on this.

Most say to pull for best air-flow, however IMO when you're talking cool tube it's completely preference. Of course if there were or someone did some extensive scientific testing on this, I would stick to facts not my opinion.

Anyhow I believe pushing is great for cool tubes AND air-cooled reflectors. When you push there is no hot air that is going through your fan, so it can increase fan life.

Pushing on an air-cooled is beneficial for that reason plus I find many air-cooled reflectors are not air tight with their lenses and when you pull air, smell gets sucked in.

Just my 2 grams worth

yes, I'm cooling hid bulbs two 1000w, trying to avoid using two fans, extra flex duct and elbows/fittings. wondering if any body has experience with this and can tell me for sure don't want to put out the extra money and electricity for two fans if I don't have to.
thanx for replying

hey JJ Bones thx for the reply.....what you said makes some sense. I was wondering about the hypotek ballasts, how do they compare to lumitek ballasts? The prices are relatively close, I was checking out perfect gardens...seems like greners has alot more choice but I wouldn't be against ordering from pgif i could get some more info....comparisons?

hey JJ Bones thx for the reply.....what you said makes some sense. I was wondering about the hypotek ballasts, how do they compare to lumitek ballasts? The prices are relatively close, I was checking out perfect gardens...seems like greners has alot more choice but I wouldn't be against ordering from pgif i could get some more info....comparisons?

Hey mazed

The Hypotek ballasts are actually made in the same factory as Lumatek & Galaxy. I would rate them as basically the same however Hypotek has a fan on it, like the galaxy does. Lumatek is just now offering this.

We're working on adding more products, it's hard to shift to online because in store we don't offer tons of products. We only offer what works. It's kind of like hair spray, how many bottles can you go through before it's all the same thing?

But I know people like selection online so we're add more options that we can drop ship. If you ever see something not on the site we still can get it no problem.

Thanks.

I am currently pushing the air. I have a closed room setup. I have outside air being pulled by my fan, then pushing through my reflectors and back outside.

I had trouble fully understanding your setup. Are you pulling air from the room, through the reflectors out the grow room?

With a closed room set up, I want to push air conditioning in and and exhaust the air out with the exhaust air going through the cool tubes

In my flowering room I use a dedicated 4" blower thru my cool tubes. pulls cool air from outside the room n pushes/exhausts to outside of the room... but i also got a home-made scrubber mated to a 6" 400cfm fan exhausting smell/heat n drawing from a passive vent on the opposite side...

but i used to suck/exhaust my VEG room by pulling air thru both tubes & let the passive intake take care of the exchange of air as it was being pulled thru the tubes n out the room... worx pretty good, I'd say not the most efficient-- but bottom line... it'll do, until u get comfy w/ the idea that an ENCLOSED grow room usually runs w/ more than 1 fan... n perhaps a couple of temp./humidity switches thrown in for good measure...

thanx for the info LivenBurn ... can you tell me how you made your homemade scrubber?

Sure thing, gonna need:
1) 5gal. bucket w/cover-- perforate the bucket, i used a 1" hole cutter... I cut a 6" hole in the cover w/ a dremel
pet screen-- to line inside of bucket & hold carbon pellets from falling out... ur gonna need about 40 lbs. of carbon pellets if you fill the bucket... i filled the bucket 1/3 of the way then stuck a plastic ball in the bucket to take up some room & topped it off w/ more pellets. put the cover on the bucket & attached a spigot to the cover then connected the fan to the spigot... mount/stand, wherever.

yeah i got it all hooked up DIY style, just in case I'd need it-- tested it... haven't had to use it... yet...

Back
Top Bottom