Pyramid Purple & DNA Chocolope Under CFL - 2nd Grow

after awhile im sure youll be able to tell just by the weight of the pot
if not the plant will also tell you if your late on watering

Bro, it's usually every 4 days or when the pot is light. I also have a cheap moisture meter I use to confirm what I think is going on. You may be right in one respect as of late I have been desperately trying to flush and treat for fungas gnats thinking over-nuting and then gnat damage to the roots may be the problem. So that being said, she probably has had a bit too much the last week and a half or so. She's currently drying out(tomorrow will be the 5th day. I'm getting kind of out of ideas here. With three other girls more than happy with the lifestyle I have and do provide for them, I can only start to think she's just a little bitch. :p Haha.

Not sure what the next step is. Probably a very weak feed with new nutes and possibly a tiny touch of CalMag(if I can bloody-well find it! I've checked 3 hydro shops and the closest is CalMagIron and I don't want to overdo the Iron, not sure what this does if anything.. Haha).

Thanks for everyone's help. I wish we could get this resolved, I feel like I owe it to everyone here as well as myself to get this fixed and reap some rewards. :thanks:

-J.

Well if it's not overwatering, my next guesses would be: something related to the gnats, PH, or some kind of other shock.

Running out of ideas? .. yeah I know that feeling man. I just went through that with my current grow. It ended up being a poorly calibrated (and cheap) PH meter causing my issues, which made me PH my nutes too low.

If you haven't done so yet, check your PH meter with distilled white vinegar, you should get a reading of 2.4.

And the CalMagIron should be fine if that's all you can find. I saw KingJohnC tell someone in another topic that it was fine to use.

I recommend everyone who owns meters to recalibrate their pH and ppm meters at least monthly to maintain best accuracy. I use pH 7.0 calibration and 1000 ppm calibration solutions for my meters. I use Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus that also contains additional iron.

(Click on the photographs for a direct link to the product)

yep my ph pen tells me once a month to recalibrate by the missing check mark

I'll try and answer everything in order here.. ;)

Over watering may definitely be some of my problem, A. I'm going to make sure she's realllly dry before her next feed/ water. That being said, her leaves, especially the more curled ones feel very dry and papery. I read something about papery leaves a while ago(before it was actually relevant to me sadly) and can't remember what it was a symptom of. I also can't think of what thread or article it was in.

The gnat larvae are probably doing damage to her roots so I am treating them with H2O2 and providing a sprinkle of AZOZ and TrioBac in the 6.5pH(tested with Bromothymol Blue or whatever its called, not my meter which is in the 'throw away' pile) carbon filtered water she receives. I don't even use my meter any more, I just pH my water and occasionally check run-off.

I'll grab some CalMagIron next time I'm at the shop, postage to this side of the world always blows prices out. :/
It was actually here that The King said CalMagIron was ok to use, I meant to follow it up with him to find out if an excess of Iron could be a potential issue.

I'm actually about to open the doors for the first time today..

Here's how Purple looks these days..
IMAG11785.jpg

More to come soon..

-J.

I'll try and answer everything in order here.. ;)

Over watering may definitely be some of my problem, A. I'm going to make sure she's realllly dry before her next feed/ water. That being said, her leaves, especially the more curled ones feel very dry and papery. I read something about papery leaves a while ago(before it was actually relevant to me sadly) and can't remember what it was a symptom of. I also can't think of what thread or article it was in.

The gnat larvae are probably doing damage to her roots so I am treating them with H2O2 and providing a sprinkle of AZOZ and TrioBac in the 6.5pH(tested with Bromothymol Blue or whatever its called, not my meter which is in the 'throw away' pile) carbon filtered water she receives. I don't even use my meter any more, I just pH my water and occasionally check run-off.

I'll grab some CalMagIron next time I'm at the shop, postage to this side of the world always blows prices out. :/
It was actually here that The King said CalMagIron was ok to use, I meant to follow it up with him to find out if an excess of Iron could be a potential issue.

I'm actually about to open the doors for the first time today..

-J.

Don't forget, that as the top layer of soil dries, it almost becomes an insulator, and slows down the drying of the rest of the soil inside the pot, as air flow is limited. I would suggest that you consider switching to coco sometime in the future. It's virtually impossible to overwater, and from what I've read, bugs don't like it either. (I am currently on a daily watering schedule with diluted nutes, and have no over watering issues)

Now on the other hand, a plant that has experienced some type of shock, will usually exhibit similar symptoms to overwatering, by having wilted/limp leaves. Shock can come from anything from too much aggressive training, to a way out of range PH, or insect damage (among other things, but these seem most probable here). I have had my own share of soil troubles in the past where my soil wasn't draining/drying fast enough, which had me mixing the top layer of soil, sometimes going too deep, damaging roots, and seeing some wilting as a result.

When my PH was too low (although my meter said it was fine), my leaf margins would curl upward, and the leaves had a papery feel, however at the same time, an out of range PH will cause lockout, so it could have easily been a simple deficiency, which I'm trying to look up now.

This wilting could also be a sign of not enough water, but not because of your lack of watering properly, but because of damaged roots from the gnats, so either due to root damage, or shock, water uptake is reduced, as the effects of drying from heat/air circulation still continue on the leaves. Maybe a foliar spray at this time, with plain water could help her out. I wouldn't use nutes in the spray now, since she's starting to bud.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hi everyone,
Firstly, thanks for all the support, help and assistance through this mission.

To wrap it up, I went away for two weeks leaving the girls with a good friend to look after. I thought I gave him a pretty good rundown on how to keep things rolling but apparently not quite good enough..

BioDiesel yielded me about 4 grams which was very disappointing yet unsurprising. The quality however was out of this world, the scent and taste was amazing and THC content was rare to find over here at the moment. A real treat.

Purple #2 yielded even smaller, with a massive root mass I was hoping it would be stronger and grow more, faster but alas. Quality was tasty with the promised chocolate and berry flavours but was a pretty mild effect.

Chocolope is still in the ground, to be ripped any day now as she has done pretty much nothing since I left. Very disappointing indeed. I can only really blame genetics as all my other girls, even with neglect grew and yielded. Won't do Choco again..

Anyways, thinking about future grows, I want to move to Coco. That being said, can anyone recommend any tips for first time Coco growers?

Thanks again and I hope everyone is staying green. :)

-J.

Back
Top Bottom