QB-5000K Build & Review: 1260 Blurple To 5000k QB's

You thinkin bout gettin some Quantum Boards (QB's), maybe picking up a kit to build it yourself? I was unsure, but decided I could figure it out, and I ordered a 260 watt QB kit with the corresponding driver. I carefully opened my lights and found the pictures with the instructions easy to use and figure out. With the directions I got there were color pictures. When I decided on my assembly pattern I went and bought a couple of Aluminium Channel rails for mounting the the lights. I used the heat sinks as templates and drilled holes through the rails.

I mentioned those great instructions, well there are two different wiring diagrams you can choose from, but I believe in either configuration you are 'wiring them in series.' I looked at the pictures and connected the wires exactly the way it showed, I plugged them in and BAM! HOLY SHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I removed all the lights and cords from the tent and moved over to hang the QB's. There is little to no weight to the light itself but the driver has some weight. I mounted the driver onto a 2x4 outside the tent right next to the roof portal where cool air exhausts. All the heat from this light is in the driver. I would also suggest buying a longer pigtail for the the wire to the light. The included cord for the socket is 5-6 feet long but the pig tail out of the driver to the lights is only a foot or so. That means you gotta put the driver in the tent. I wasn't sure about mounting it to the 2x4 cause of the heat but it's not a problem. I checked the wood several times before bed last night and no issues. The block is barely warm and the air from the tent helps to cool it.

I did not have temp issues before and had very low humidity. My temps would stay at 80 and my humidity would drop to 20's and teens. Now I have 74 or so degrees and 52 percent humidity. I may need to acquire another fan to help with air circulation, but the plants are loving the new light in the first 12 hours under it. All four of the larger plants were outside yesterday so I'm waiting on my final decision about the light and/ or if I'll be adding any of the other lights into the mix with the QB. I don't think they'll be necessary but they may be good heaters...

If you have just a little know how and are not scared to match colored wires to each other then you can do this kit. Amazingly easy!

Below are some pictures, I'll include a few of the lighting I had before I made the move from 1260 Blurple to 5000k QB's.

You can see where I just used a couple of solid core 12 gauge wires and yellow connectors to connect to the Pigtail from the MeanWell Driver, Blue to Black, Brown to Red. Also the green carabiner is for balance.

Old Lights, parcel box, 6" ducting, waste pitcher, H2O2 & H2O, & a Canon...

The MeanWell HLG 240H-C2100A with Dimmer and my Oakley Romeo ~ X Metal. I would recommend mounting the driver this way it's gets pretty warm. That being said, I could keep my hand for at least 2 minutes no problem.

The connectors were included in the kit too. Took me a minute to figure it out, I've never seen these kids before. Just lift up. No, no. All the way up.

I mentioned following the pictures as wiring diagrams...? That's what I did but it doesn't look like it!

More carabiners to balance.

Here's a picture of what it looked like before. BTW this is a Train Wreck Auto from Crop King Seeds. Amazing plant.

Now the After picture. Both pictures are cropped only no other processing. This is a Kush Auto from Seedsman, First Hairs on February 23, 2019.

Thanks Shed! Tonight i mix all the nutes for next couple days. Too much Perlite, drain to waste is a bit too much. Gonna up the N by 1/4 tsp gro - 1.25 ml.

They are very handy to have around!

Yeah I hear yah, sunglasses always! I've got mine dimmed down just a little so it's not so stunning when I breach the tent. After I felt that heat from the driver I knew, "I'm gonna have to mount that somewhere else."

I've been watching the plants and there's going to be an adjustment period with the new light. I've upped the nutes by 50% across the board, and dimmed the QB's to 65 watts. I'm still watching the leaves. I think the drastic change in spectrum has shocked the plants and they're happier with the new light but require more feed. So far the plants are doing great but there is discoloration in the leaves. It's much less noticeable in different lights but under the QB's its obvious. Watching for a nice, consistent, healthy shade of green throughout.

The Northern Lights is showing the most discoloration.

I've been doing some light defol from the NL shown above. She's looking much better today and the new growth is looking much better. She hasn't slowed down, when I took her out for feed today the new growth was obvious and healthy looking. Still being patient.

After upping the nutes 2x and 3x the CalMag, the NL is looking much better. I also upped the wattage a little. Small steps...

The Northern Lights is still showing some discoloration, but not as bad as before. Growth is still what it was, pushing out new leaves every day.

Cherry Bomb Auto

Kush Auto, Northern Lights, Ultra Lemon Haze Auto, Trinity Kush, Cherry Bomb, & 7 Berry Bombs.

My final opinion of the Quantum Boards is they are a great investment and well worth the coin. I dropped 3 bills for my kit and another 5 bucks at the hardware depot. The adjustment phase is normal from what I've been told and read about. Upping the nutes and at the very least the CalMag is normal as well. From what I'm seeing the plants are responding with more and / or faster growth.

Quantum Boards Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumb:

So, here we are at the end of the month! All the plants are doing great and the initial shock of the Super 5000K QB is over. As I stated I've slowly been raising the dimmer. Last night I went to adjust and I was so close to being maxed out I just backed it down a bit. The only real casualty was my Kush Auto which I think was at the beginning stages of Nutrient Lock Out when I made the change in lighting. In any case she has made a full recovery and although she may not look to be winning a beauty contest she is packing on weight and gettin frosty. I'd guess the plants are getting every bit of 90% of the lights power 4500 K. It's a great veg light and hell I can use it for Autos too!

Once again, Quantum Boards Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :yahoo: :ganjamon: :surf: :morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom