Quad Cities Medical Marijuana Dispensary Open, Many Doctors Not Onboard

Robert Celt

The Quad Cities first and only medical marijuana dispensary is up and running, but business could be better.

Nature's Treatment of Illinois is located in Milan and has seen about 50 patients approved for medical cannabis over the past two weeks.

Owner Matt Stern says it is tough for some prospective patients right now to get approval, because many Quad city doctors and hospitals are not on board.

"In general, the larger hospitals are not embracing it, but hopefully, they'll come on board. A lot of it has to do with their ties to the pharmaceutical companies. This is their worst nightmare because it replaces many of the pharmaceutical drugs that are out there", said Stern.

Marijuana replaced nine of the prescription pills Devon Gamboe took while undergoing chemotherapy and fighting cancer two years ago.

"A hit of weed or cannabis would get me off the floor, stop my nausea, stop my vomiting" , said Gamboe.

He now works at the dispensary, advising others in pain or with medical problems on the benefits of medical marijuana, the doses, and what strains are best for their condition.

"Everything is 100 percent organic. There's no real risks to using this. This is more of a natural medicine than prescription drugs are", he said.

The shelves of the dispensary are stocked with prepacked "brands" of cannabis, along with "pot" gummy bears and chocolates.

"For older people who don't want to smoke anything, that's the way to get their medical cannabis", said Stern.

There are 29 different cameras inside and outside the building, which state regulators are able to monitor. The walls are bullet-proof, also a state requirement.

Stern says he's hoping in time, more customers with chronic health issues get a chance to try medicinal marijuana as an option to opiates and other painkillers.

"I think there's a lot of politics involved. It think in 5, 10 years, the industry is going to be out of this world", Stern said.

Medical-Marijuana-Sales.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Quad Cities Medical Marijuana Dispensary Open, Many Doctors Not Onboard
Author: Chria Minor
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom