Quantity Vs Quality

BigSwole90

So I would really like some advice on my grow. Right now, I have 10 clones in the chamber under 12/12. 5 each under 400w hps. Couple CFLs here and there to hit the lower end of the bushes. I am about 3 weeks into flower. Now this week, I am ordering some quality beans from Herbies :thumb: but I am starting to wonder if I should cut down on the amount of plants I have under each light and focus on training, topping, ect. What would you guys recommend? 2-3 under each 400w or stick to the 5 but have smaller bushes? I have seen some staggering numbers on here from one or two plants. I really like the idea of having less plants because I can focus more on each one :lot-o-toke:. Let me hear your opinions please =]

It is challenging to get the really high yields from a few plants and the guys who do are top-flight growers. I thought I would like to do that too but now I am just focusing on 'filling my space'. I'd rather have more plants, then if something goes wrong with one or two I still have lots to fall back on.

That is a good point. But do you think a 400w is adequate lighting for around 5 plants if they fit within the area coverage? I guess I could add a few CFLs to make up some space.

Thanks Pantagruel!

I cant get these girls to stop getting taller! I have the HPS as close as possible so they don't stretch but they just wont stop getting taller and taller! I guess this is what I get for not topping. In the last 2 weeks they went from 16 inches tall to freaking 3 feet! My last grow during the flowering stage never shot up that much. Could it be the strain? They are sativa and my last was indica. I did read a few people saying indica is better for short areas.

i have 17 in 5 gal pots under a600w mh than hps with a adyust a wing haha the tops are great the rest is for cokies,hash...... yeld 1200/1500g this time put 35w cfl in corners to see what hapens looking great by te way

With good training, the height/shape of a plant becomes irrelevant, since you control how/were it grows. I have a Sativa growing now, under 11" tall. And should be almost double that height by now.

I like growing 2 plants. Because they fit in my grow closet. :) If I had the space, I'd do about 10-12 at a time in a nice basement grow room, 10-12 in veg, 10-12 in flower, but old houses love having tiny rooms, and they especially love having basements too short to stand up in without bashing my face on a floor joist.

If you have the room, I'd say go for it and stick with quantity, but also pay attention to quality. Because you have 10 plants or whatever, is no reason to neglect them. Always treat each plant like it's the last Cannabis plant on earth, and you'll have happier plants, and hopefully increased yields.

The advice I would give is this. Grow one kind of strain until you know what and how it wants to grow. Get threw a few grows with it and when you get threw two grows with it without any problems then do extra long veg with training and grow one big quality yielder. When growing one plant like I do you put all chickens in one basket,so if something go's wrong your chicken count gets smaller or you lose all. So know each strain very very well before the chickens hatch. Now growing one plant has many great reasons why to do it. I will just name a few and not do to long of a post. If you are growing soil,add up all the amount of soil and nutes used for many pots and plants. Then add up for one pot and plant. (Cost is cost). Growing many plants and having different problems that tend to gets to be a pain in the azz and tends to take your yield numbers down if you have not grown each before and know who wants extra of less nutes then others.The other thing I would say is try just making extra room for one bigger plant and still have extra plants with it until you get the grow nailed down to do a full one plant monster. You can even do a little 2'x2' scrog on it while having others next to it. Be safe then sorry. I will not carry on. Ether way I wish you all the best and happy growing.

Man I LOVE this site! So much quality information I feel like I learn something everyday. Thanks for the input guys. I actually boarded off a false wall in the basement about 12 foot long x 3 foot wide x 7 feet tall. I used to be an HVAC guy so I had no issues at being strategic! The walls are all wrapped in mylar and works great as reflection. Can't wait to taste my medicine! Thanks guys!

:tokin:

I cant get these girls to stop getting taller! I have the HPS as close as possible so they don't stretch but they just wont stop getting taller and taller! I guess this is what I get for not topping. In the last 2 weeks they went from 16 inches tall to freaking 3 feet! My last grow during the flowering stage never shot up that much. Could it be the strain? They are sativa and my last was indica. I did read a few people saying indica is better for short areas.

3 feet you say? :) From time to time I really cannot help but smile over these indoor height issues. My plants already broke 6 feet and it seems they're gonna go for at least 8-10 feet when they finish flowering :) But to solve your problem, use LST. To do it simply bend the branches down tying them up to a pot or sth set in your grow room that will hold them. You can actually grown cannabis vertically and early flowering is still good moment to start. When it bumps up after a day or so looking for light you just stretch it further around the pot. You'll get more budz this way and will never have any height issues.

Some pics of my bonsai grow showing how to do it:

cotton_candy_LST.jpg
green_03.jpg

cotton22.jpg

cc116.jpg
cc218.jpg

Thanks Pantagruel!

Consider this. If you topped, then they would be that much wider, thus taking up more of the square foot of your light. If you topped all five, they wouldn't be able to fit under the hood as well as if not topped. So long as you have the height in your grow room, height isn't an issue.

You can slow the stretching down by putting in a MH bulb for a while, or put them under LED if you have it.

Awesome tips! Quick question. Is it really true that switching back to Metal Halide later in the flowering stage will increase trichrome production? I did a lot of research but everyone has their own view on it. Some say yes it did make the buds more frosty, but a lot more "Airy" and others say it doesn't matter at all. Anyone experimented with this? For now I will just stick to HPS the whole way, but I was just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom