Question About D.E - Diatomaceous Earth

Hi guys. So its time to whipe out these fungus gnats and the couple thrips n silverfish ive seen before they do harm.

Diatomaceous earth seems like the best bet however I got a question.

Is the pool grade D.E fine or perhaps prefered? Or should I get the food grade? Or does it really not matter?

Also ive been highly considering spraying with Avid for spider mite control. I do not have spider mites but considering I live in CA its only a matter of time.

Is their a cheaper but equally effective preventive measure for mite control over Avid? Or is Avid the best bet?

Re: Question about D.E (Diatomaceous earth)

If you are trying to kill insects definitely stay away from pool filter diatomaceous earth. It probably won't kill insects and it might give you silicosis. Use the food grade diatomaceous earth. If you can't find it locally try buying it at PureEarthD

Hi,

The best way to get rid of spider mite or trips is neem oil if you ask me. Since a few months every grow shop in Amsterdam sells it and i get only positive reactions. Anybody tried it?

Rj

I use it.

Neem oil is fine if you have one single plant or two, as you need to spray it every other week or even every week. You also have to Spray the entire plant both top and under the leaves.

Basically its way too much work and some people hate the smell. I personally dont like the smell but I can deal with it.

The D.E is very easy for things like thrips, fungus gnats, and ants. For spider mites it wont do anything but nearly all other pets I can think of it will.

Btw the D.E that is cheapest and easiest for me to get also has Calcium Benzonite in it.

I have not gotten it because I am concerned the CB will leech nutes and store them.

Back
Top Bottom