Question about how dispensaries acquire their bud.

M00gle

Does anyone know if the dispensaries grow their own weed or buy the excess from their patients? I was looking at the laws and it looks like they technically can't grow their own weed but have to form a co-op and buy excess weed from their customers. They then redistribute this back to their patients.

Does anyone know a good link that has information about starting a dispensary? My dream in life would be to open one, but I'm just online doing a little research since I'm bored.

Dispensaries buy their bud from growers. The growers are the suppliers and the retail shop is the distributor...together they form a co-op or cooperative. To be honest its run just like a business, which isn't to say they shouldn't, with the threat of jail time and loss of property they better be making some money.

If you want to start your own co-op you'll probably have to have some "old hippie" connections. However, I believe you are able to grow the stuff yourself and sell it. It's not like co-ops "claim" their growers. The only problemwith that is you'll never keep up with demand.

-Umpsy

Dispensaries buy their bud from growers. The growers are the suppliers and the retail shop is the distributor...together they form a co-op or cooperative. To be honest its run just like a business, which isn't to say they shouldn't, with the threat of jail time and loss of property they better be making some money.

If you want to start your own co-op you'll probably have to have some "old hippie" connections. However, I believe you are able to grow the stuff yourself and sell it. It's not like co-ops "claim" their growers. The only problemwith that is you'll never keep up with demand.

-Umpsy

Hey Umpsy thanks for the reply. But lets say you grow for a dispensary, is that technically illegal? Because even if you have a medical permit you are only allowed to grow a couple of plants.

But basically you are saying that some ppl grow mass amounts and then wholesale it out to the dispensaries.

Hey there, This is really good info. Please keep this thread going. I for one am very interested in knowing all that I can learn about Co-op distributors. Any and all information that anyone can add would be appreciated. Thanx!:clap:

Grow-ops can be designated caregivers through the registered patients at the dispensary from what i understand.

So it sounds like once you have some patients under your care you can begin growing for them because you are their caregiver. The more patients the more weed you can grow.

Hey there, This is really good info. Please keep this thread going. I for one am very interested in knowing all that I can learn about Co-op distributors. Any and all information that anyone can add would be appreciated. Thanx!:clap:

Me too BlackLab. A dream job of mine would be to start a dispensary, but there are alot of grey areas that are hard to interpret. I just wondered how most dispensaries operate. If only I lived in Cali I'd go and visit them all!

I only want to add a couple of select people that I will be their caregiver and grow for. I'd like to call my dispensary BlackLab medical herbs. He He he. Moogie on a serious note I'll bet when I go to my doctor this thursday I can find out about dispesarys maybe even a good attorney who knows this new law.

I only want to add a couple of select people that I will be their caregiver and grow for. I'd like to call my dispensary BlackLab medical herbs. He He he. Moogie on a serious note I'll bet when I go to my doctor this thursday I can find out about dispesarys maybe even a good attorney who knows this new law.

Awesome Blacklab! Any information you find please share with me and the forum. I would love to know more about it. It would be great to be able to grow for a couple of patients without fear of the feds. Thanks alot!

I do know this for sure. I got it from a very reliable source. If you are a caregiver, growing for a couple of patients as long as you do not exceed 100 plants on your property the DEA will not bother with a raid. They are looking to bust major illegal growers to be sold to the general public. Your state L.E. is a different story. They bust first and ask questions later. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I do know this for sure. I got it from a very reliable source. If you are a caregiver, growing for a couple of patients as long as you do not exceed 100 plants on your property the DEA will not bother with a raid. They are looking to bust major illegal growers to be sold to the general public. Your state L.E. is a different story. They bust first and ask questions later. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks Blacklab but do you know if you need any type of paperwork or documentation to grow for medical users, say if you were in a state where it is legal to do so?

Moogie, I just found this it may help with your question. Ruling Streamlines Medical Pot Access

Sue Lindsay
November 19, 2007
Rocky Mountain News
Access to medical marijuana will be easier under a ruling by a Denver judge.

Denver District Judge Larry Naves last week overturned a state health department policy that restricted providers of medical marijuana to five patients.

Damien LaGoy, who uses marijuana to control nausea from AIDS wasting-syndrome and hepatitis C, sued the health department after his caregiver request was denied by the health department in May based on the five patient rule.

The policy was adopted by the health department in a closed meeting in 2004.

Naves overturned the policy, saying it violated the Colorado open meetings act and the administrative procedures act.

"I feel safer already," LaGoy said. "Now I can get my medicine from a safe and responsible caregiver instead of taking my chances on the streets.

Moogie, I just found this it may help with your question. Ruling Streamlines Medical Pot Access

Sue Lindsay
November 19, 2007
Rocky Mountain News
Access to medical marijuana will be easier under a ruling by a Denver judge.

Denver District Judge Larry Naves last week overturned a state health department policy that restricted providers of medical marijuana to five patients.

Damien LaGoy, who uses marijuana to control nausea from AIDS wasting-syndrome and hepatitis C, sued the health department after his caregiver request was denied by the health department in May based on the five patient rule.

The policy was adopted by the health department in a closed meeting in 2004.

Naves overturned the policy, saying it violated the Colorado open meetings act and the administrative procedures act.

"I feel safer already," LaGoy said. "Now I can get my medicine from a safe and responsible caregiver instead of taking my chances on the streets.

Thats good news indeed! Thanks for sharing. Since you're in CO, are you going to look for some patients to be a caregiver for? I live in the midwest and the laws are strict, but one day maybe they'll pass medical marijuana laws here. Well if I find any other info I'll post it here also. Thanks

Moogle, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Well yesterday I actually went to Denver and saw the Dr. and qualified for his reccommendation for prescribed medial Marijuanna. I should recieve my state ID card within two or three weeks. Just a note to pass on to other fellow Coloradoan's. If you go directly from the clinic to the post office, purchase a Postal Money order paid to the State of Colorado health Bla Bla Bla they turn right around and process your application much faster than if you send them a check. If you send cash, 1. they do not reccomend cash and 2. it takes longerto process your id month or more. I was advised by the clinic that my completed application was proof of my ID so technically I was legal yesterday, but it is at the officer's descetion if I were to be caught.......Hmmmm nope I'm going to play it safe! and wait for the real thing! By the way, you should have seen the people in and out of that clinic! they estimate in 2008 double the applicants than in 2007! They were very proffesional and made me feel right at home, but take cash when you go to pay the DR. they do take plastic but it's really a pain in the ass for them, besides they give you a reciept with cash payment anyway. Now I can really do some research! and maybe, just maybe I can open my own co-op and accept patients! Dream come true and all legal I've died and gone to heaven! Be back soon...

Congratulations Blacklab on your MM permit. It must feel great to be able to grow without the fear of legal action. One day hopefully I'll move out of the damn midwest and get my own permit. Good luck with your research and I hope to hear that you started a clinic one day.

That's awesome, though I'm still unsure how I would go about becoming a "legal grower". There seems to be a number of laws that are extremely difficult to interpret. All the complications make it more of a hassle than it's worth, in my opinion. This thread is very informative. I had the exact same question after reading about the dispensaries in California. Thanks..

there is no "legal grower", state=ok / federal=no . As long as you obey the requirements under Sb420--H&S code--Comp Act'96.. then again, its still a 50/50 thing that makes no sense.

Looking through some of the Co. requirements for Co-ops/dispensaries while acting as a grow supplier rather than the co-op itself, and there are several good sources for info including the Dept. of Health link already given, and the sensiblecolorado.org link, among others.
Basically the Co-op is supplied a patient list from the state registry. They have their own application/paperwork process to go through to get state approved.
A patient has the right to claim no one, the Co-op, or an individual as their Caregiver. As a grower, you can have 5 patients, each having 6 plants, three of which can be 'flowering'. So 30 plants total with 15 in flower for your 5 patients, (actually the text reads "the DoH MAY deny a grower designation to one already having 5 patients", not sure if they actually are as the supply in this early stage of the Co. law is way, way short of demand. Some are actually running the risk of trucking in from other points at this stage just to meet minimum supply demands.

I have been researching this in earnest for a couple of weeks now as half of my house is boxed and ready to pack since I plan on going somewhere.
I can get this technical stuff online, but would love to hear from some actual folk performing these duties in Co. as still have many practical questions.

Basically the grower is acting as a Sub-contract supplier to the Co-ops, raising the question to me of what business form they operate under. Obviously expenses such as hardware, nutes, electricity and such are business expenses which would normally be deductable on federal returns under most business models and offset some profits. I don't think you should name it "Weed Supplier Inc." or anything, as you are still only protected by Co. state laws and not Federal, so no need to turn yourself in on a tax return for a scheduled raid.
The other big question I have is what price the Co-op will pay per finished, dryed & cured lb. Do they vary with strains or fixed price? Many designate 'organic grow only' so there are several practical questions to be answered if trying to create your own business model. On the other hand if the $ is right, I'm equally sure there are guys with 200 plant grow rooms not claiming crap on any return in any business models and have no designated patients. I know several Co-ops will contribute lights, trays and other equipment if you commit to grow for them only which could eliminate some of this aspect.

Again, would love some actual detail from a Co-op or such. I can pack the other half and head up within 30 days. By the way, real estate prices in the area I've been searching are better than reasonable, and there are only 3 Co-ops trying to feed an impossible patient list.

What happened Dude?!?! I am right there with ya, there is so much opportunity right now, even with them opening up everywhere... I WANT IN ON THIS ACTION....let me know how that turned out for you, I know it was mid last year, but maybe youve got somewhere eh?

Peace/Love/Joy

Back
Top Bottom