Question about light spectrum

Hayron1088

So I’m getting ready to purchase another light. After doing some research, I have found that correct me if I’m wrong, 3000k, 5000k is better then what I currently have which is 3500k and 6500k. I’ve decided to stick with my current brand that I’m using which I cannot post here(sorry sponsors) I currently have two of there 150w led quantum boards which are great but the spectrum, again if I’m correct is well insufficient. There new pb2000 pro is an amazing light in my opinion and I think it will be a wise purchase for a few reasons. The only drawback I can see with the light is manipulation. It’s one solid board meant to cover a 2x4 area, which is great for light coverage but I occasionally have multiple strains and grow taller/shorter so manipulating two lights to get adequate to all three plants is much easier. So should I do it? The price is only $159.00US which as you all know is rock bottom in the lighting world.

So I’m getting ready to purchase another light. After doing some research, I have found that correct me if I’m wrong, 3000k, 5000k is better then what I currently have which is 3500k and 6500k. I’ve decided to stick with my current brand that I’m using which I cannot post here(sorry sponsors) I currently have two of there 150w led quantum boards which are great but the spectrum, again if I’m correct is well insufficient. There new pb2000 pro is an amazing light in my opinion and I think it will be a wise purchase for a few reasons. The only drawback I can see with the light is manipulation. It’s one solid board meant to cover a 2x4 area, which is great for light coverage but I occasionally have multiple strains and grow taller/shorter so manipulating two lights to get adequate to all three plants is much easier. So should I do it? The price is only $159.00US which as you all know is rock bottom in the lighting world.
LST your plants so they are all the same height or real close. I just did it with 9 plants (8-Strains) so it can be done. Some will be wider than others but the canopy stays even. No tall plants shadowing the shorter plants that way.

LST your plants so they are all the same height or real close. I just did it with 9 plants (8-Strains) so it can be done. Some will be wider than others but the canopy stays even. No tall plants shadowing the shorter plants that way.
I can usually do it as you stated but I had my chem dawg in the middle because during stretch she shot up so fast that by the time I noticed it was to late. I have my light in such a way where it will be fine this time around but as stated above my concern is the correct spectrum. Or should I not worry about it?

I can usually do it as you stated but I had my chem dawg in the middle because during stretch she shot up so fast that by the time I noticed it was to late. I have my light in such a way where it will be fine this time around but as stated above my concern is the correct spectrum. Or should I not worry about it?
The normal spectrum on a grow light runs 400 nm - 700 nm. There are more advanced lights that add 730 Far Red & 340 (I think) Blue to the Spectrum to get the Emerson Effect. Do you have the spectrum graph of the light you can post ?

The normal spectrum on a grow light runs 400 nm - 700 nm. There are more advanced lights that add 730 Far Red & 340 (I think) Blue to the Spectrum to get the Emerson Effect. Do you have the spectrum graph of the light you can post ?
C64091C0-FBF1-4CCE-A78A-7A1B2A266F57.jpeg

thats a pretty good spectrum right there. Its missing cyan, ( that dark strip area ) which is also really good to have. Above .2 is a decent area to be in at that area. ( 490-510nm )

Only thing that seems a little lacking is the 660 nm Deep Red. It has 440 nm & 730 nm for the Emerson effect so maybe that's why the 660 nm seems a little low. Not real sure though. @Nunyabiz will know. He builds his own lights & is up on this sort of thing. Let's see what he thinks.

Only thing that seems a little lacking is the 660 nm Deep Red. It has 440 nm & 730 nm for the Emerson effect so maybe that's why the 660 nm seems a little low. Not real sure though. @Nunyabiz will know. He builds his own lights & is up on this sort of thing. Let's see what he thinks.
Thank you for all this info, for some reason the company in question is very vague about answering my questions/concerns. I simply asked them if I would be further ahead to but there pb2000 which is suitable for a 2x4 tent but the main draw back to me is it’s not able to be manipulated like you can with two lights. And if you are wondering why I don’t just stick with my current lights, they are not the optimal spectrum that we are discussing currently. They pretty much replied in an email and said yes the new PB 2000 pro has a better spectrum, are you interested in buying one? They never answered one of the questions I sent:confused:

Got to be honest would be a red flag for me no matter how good the light ;)
Thank you for all this info, for some reason the company in question is very vague about answering my questions/concerns. I simply asked them if I would be further ahead to but there pb2000 which is suitable for a 2x4 tent but the main draw back to me is it’s not able to be manipulated like you can with two lights. And if you are wondering why I don’t just stick with my current lights, they are not the optimal spectrum that we are discussing currently. They pretty much replied in an email and said yes the new PB 2000 pro has a better spectrum, are you interested in buying one? They never answered one of the questions I sent:confused:

If it were my tent.... I'd have 2 Mars Hydro TS 1000's in a 2 x 4 tent. 1 light over each plant. 5 gallon pots. Yield about 1 - lb. total from the 2 plants. Sounds perfect to me.

i agree with the results.Just in my space with no ac 3/4 drivers in my tent i would need to buy an AC so i would not gain.
Having to run an ac cost wise.

i agree with the results.Just in my space with no ac 3/4 drivers in my tent i would need to buy an AC so i would not gain.
Having to run an ac cost wise.
That's one of my favorite things about the Mars Hydro Lights. They put a long cord on the drivers so you are able to place them outside the tent. More light companies need to follow their lead.

My lights are 150w so they are more then plenty just not the exact spectrum unfortunately. I seriously have over ten pages on my phone with different light companies racking my brain…. So hard to decide seriously….but I have decided to go from three plants to two next cycle. Just germinated a Blueberry and a creation of my own; Cherry Pie/White Widow/random bag seed but great smoke. I’m not sure what to call it yet! I also have a 4ft tall zkittlez that I have outside and she is MASSIVE. I’ll take pics of her when I get off work.

led lack intensity.....

I agree.
led lack intensity.....
BUT what you lose in that you make up for double in the cost to run a led over HPS and GAV.
Gone are the days of HPS is the ruler things have moved on.And i would bet good money.
I could come real close to yield wise to a hps with an led of the same spec and save money running it.
Add that fact i dont have to run my fans so high i save again.Stuck in the past springs to mind sorry.
But its 2021 now my friend not 2000. ;) :)

Elaborate on that? I feel “intensity” is not even on the table anymore unless you need the heat from the lights for regulating tent temperature.
Led light does not penetrate the canopy well or deeply the light is lacking power ..

its was the same problem when comparing 400 watt hps to 1000 hps there was no comparison

the 1000 crushed it...

led s are 3 watt chips just dont penetrate with power ...

now the pro led people always go to HPS... not me...

CHM technology makes way better bud s for way less money than an led..

led are so over price ... cmh is 3 to 5 times less in price and makes better buds..

yes and more yield and better product ...

yes yes yes cmh

I understand canopy penetration. But hear me out. Led lights in my opinion is going to reach out to 99% of growers out there bc of factors such as heat, safety, cost over time, ability to switch spectrums on most, and probably a few others I’m sure I’m just not educated enough and to lazy to search and post results currently. Just being honest:smokin:
That’s why I feel the Sea of Green method or whatever 500 other names they call it nowadays has evolved rapidly over the past couple years is because of the penetration issue with led. I personally love the SOG method and have gotten better yields out of it vs a normal plant or single topped plant. So saying that I guess there’s a light for all types of growers. Person A(growers like you) may love hps because they have 10 plus plants and need the penetration where as Person B(me) need only enough for two or three plants and bigger friendly throughout the grow. Also, I could be wrong but does led not last longer then hps? So thank you for your honest opinion and let’s keep this real and not argue. Your both right and I thank you both for you professional opinion.

dude read what i said i agree.
BUT cost is what im talking about u read it so why cant you understand it.
All you have said canopy penetrate which i agree with.
As i said it costs you more to get better yield thats a fact.
Now me and you dont really need to speak again i wish you well.
But get some manners and speak to people with a little respect bye.
ignore mode
All that from a grown man WOW.
I have much respect for your knowledge so let me ask you this. I cannot post the led company here even though 420magazine said they would be a sponsor by the end of August… that being said, the brand is Maxsi(that big light supplier in the sky). I personally love them but this is my issue. I have 2 of there pb1500s and a MF1000. Unfortunately the two pb’s don’t have 3000k but 3500k white and the pb also does not have the reflective hood like the mf or 730ir.
The pic above is my current light times two in a 2x4x5 tent. I have there mf series for veg simply because it’s to small for my tent(I think). I just don’t know where to incorporate it honestly. Sorry to ramble on but I have so much to learn and grow in this journey of mine but I love all of it! Even when someone is basically rude and tries to bully his CMH obsession….:rolleyes: So yea cmh is not my thing, leds are my interest and I have these three lights and I don’t know how to incorporate all three in my tent… or if I should at all and just use all three or something else and go with a 4x4 and a different light setup. This may be confusing to you and I’m sorry, just trying to create a long term discussion on budget growers that want to learn about lighting.

7172C882-1801-4CF4-ADDF-C86EFA7BB337.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom