Question about mounting magnetic MH/HPS ballasts

crazyc123

i have several brand new ballasts that im hanging and im worried about the heat, and i know heat rises so i was planning on mounting them high up, but they are really heavy and i have to mount them to something study, so i was figuring that i could mount them to the ceiling support 2x10 studs. i have some pictures, but was worried about the heat, is it safe to mount them to the wood, i mean i know they get warm, but i shouldnt have any issues right ?

also the ballasts say "this side up" so im assuming they have to be mounted perpendicular

i cant post pictures yet as im new, but basically mounting the mags directly to a stud on wall or ceiling studs

any ideas, suggestions, warning, etc. would be greatly appreciated

I wouldn't mount them on wood, asking for a fire should one go up in smoke. Maybe make a hanging shelf lined with fire board or sheet metal to contain any sort of spark/fire. Not sure about the mounting orientation as I've never seen that before. It's also good to mount your timers in a safe place aswell.

I wouldn't do it. That is just asking for trouble.

A metal rack is a good alternative if you must keep them off the ground.

People do it all the time. But that isn't saying much.

I've never seen a ballast that said 'this side up' on it. I'd assume it says that for a reason. I always hung my magnetic ballasts from the ceiling with bungee cords, because they would create a bit too much humming noise and vibration otherwise. There's usually a spot on the ballast that you can run some heavy gauge wire through to make a loop and give you a spot to to hang it from.

I have see ones saying "this side up" and it is for cooling. The way the heat sinks are and such they want if you hang it for the hot side to be up so it doesn't dissipate heat back onto itself.

When i used magnetic ballast i left it on a couple of bricks on the floor just an idea...

I did hear one story when i was in the grow shop tho & some chap stacked his ballasts on top of each other... as you can guess they over heated a little & totally trashed a few of em but as far as i'm aware no fire occurred !

Most ballasts have a fuse now a days... With electric you can replace them some times. But this will prevent a ballast fire by getting to hot ( i woudnt say it could catch fire a other way but ballasts are pritty save its not like every grow burns down just pay attention i always mount my ballast to wood but i use some spacers (rubber) to conect them and make sure air can flow compleetly around the ballast.

In the end i bought a electric ballast anyway

I sure don't miss those magnetic ballasts. Mine were ancient, rusty and unlabeled, and had a couple feet of wires and mysterious (to me anyway) parts dangling off them. They looked scary as hell and if I touched the wrong spots I'd get a very nasty shock. I ran them for years though and they still work. I like the digital ones. Way safer, quieter and more efficient, and the dimmable option is great.

IMG_126121.JPG
IMG_126224.JPG
IMG_126320.JPG

Back
Top Bottom