Question about seeds

User43

So i dont want to pay seed prices, and i have a dispensary that sells cheap ounces because they are heavily seeded. A win win since
the seeds are WAY cheaper and i get a bunch of smoke. Im not sure if these seeds are viable though so id like some advice.

I felt like they were a slim chance at even being female so i got a second 6 spot DWC bubbler on order and just started germinating dozens of seeds. Since the first round of germination was 6 seeds and only 3 started. Two of them never looked healthy so I discarded them. The third however is looking healthy 11 days since starting germination.

I am in no hurry this is just a hobby really since its legal now where i live and the price of lights are insanely cheap compared to 10 years ago. In the long run it will be cheaper than going to any dispo and its been incredibly fun thus far :). So my question is basically, is this a valid course of action or do i need to just pay the high prices for feminized seeds? I haven't asked a dispo about clones yet I need to do that soon. Photo of the seedling on day 11.

Attachments

• 20200310_110819.jpg
    20200310_110819.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Most accidental seeds are cause by hermaphrodites in the grow that didn’t get noticed in time. Very rare for anyone to have a true male in their indoor grow and not notice it. Hermies can be easy to miss though.
The seeds produced from hermies almost always grow up to produce more hermies.
That can mean anything from a full blown female with male pods, to a female that shows a few nanners late in flowering.
You can sometimes work around that if you just want to have ‘something to grow’. But good quality seeds are cheap for the value, IMO.

They classify them as “normal” seeds. My last round of normal seeds, 4 of 5 ended up showing female parts between 60-70 days in veg, without flipping.
It’s not difficult to tell with a magnifying glass.
Male:
07B13487-9597-4E25-8FDD-A9582BAB752D.jpeg
F5267879-A393-40DD-85D6-5AC0DBB9B6AD.jpeg

Female:
73EC82F5-750C-44D3-8A20-7B241FE2F99C.jpeg

I grow bag seed.
IMG_20200115_063102457.jpgIMG_20200125_125744277.jpg

Legit feminized seeds are of course my preferred choice but my smoker friends drop bag seed from fire on me. Never had one hermie.

I drop 3 unsexed seeds for every female I want to grow out.

I grow bag seed.
IMG_20200115_063102457.jpgIMG_20200125_125744277.jpg

Legit feminized seeds are of course my preferred choice but my smoker friends drop bag seed from fire on me. Never had one hermie.

I drop 3 unsexed seeds for every female I want to grow out.
That is awesome, glad to hear it! Makes me think my plan is going to work. I have 12 spots with 11 open and i just dropped about 20 into a closet in rockwool soaked in 5.7 then gently squeezed and shaken. As well as 12 more just in a cup of 5.7 water. After the results ill decide if its worth all the extra rockwool to not buy quality seeds.

OH and those babys are fucking gorgeous I must say.

Just because they aren’t feminized, doesn’t mean they are crap.

You can still buy good genetics as “regular” seeds. Check out @New420Guy Seeds

So far I’m impressed.
75ish days: Male is the front right.
59FFDE49-B5E9-4125-BB99-8DF0C5E699E7.jpeg

Just because they aren’t feminized, doesn’t mean they are crap.

You can still buy good genetics as “regular” seeds. Check out @New420Guy Seeds

So far I’m impressed.
75ish days: Male is the front right.
59FFDE49-B5E9-4125-BB99-8DF0C5E699E7.jpeg
Hold the phone. Ive always heard never to let a male be near your females it could ruin a whole room??..... that tent is FUCKING GORGEOUS! is that 20 fucking monsters? so healthy man well done

Last bag seed I tried to grow bag seed
it was culled out 6 weeks into flower because it popped sacks like crazy. If I had finished that plant to maturity it would have seeded out the whole crop and left rouge pollen for future crops.

I wasted time in veg ( 8 weeks ) and bloom ( 6 weeks ) plus cost of electric and typical garden expenses.

there's a reason for buying seeds. Your hoping for something stable. Lots of good seeds for 10$ each

Last bag seed I tried to grow bag seed
it was culled out 6 weeks into flower because it popped sacks like crazy. If I had finished that plant to maturity it would have seeded out the whole crop and left rouge pollen for future crops.

I wasted time in veg ( 8 weeks ) and bloom ( 6 weeks ) plus cost of electric and typical garden expenses.

there's a reason for buying seeds. Your hoping for something stable. Lots of good seeds for 10$ each
So theres no risk of federal trouble being shipped via the mail? that's what sounds risky to me. I would rather drive up to an hour maybe more to a dispo and buy clones (haven't found one yet but haven't really tried)

So theres no risk of federal trouble being shipped via the mail? that's what sounds risky to me. I would rather drive up to an hour maybe more to a dispo and buy clones (haven't found one yet but haven't really tried)
No worries about hemp seeds these days. No THC in seeds so I don't think they care too much about that anymore. Long as nothing else is in there.
Others have said seeds were taken at time of shipping and they just got a letter saying it was taken, even back then it wasn't to troublesome

Hold the phone. Ive always heard never to let a male be near your females it could ruin a whole room??..... that tent is FUCKING GORGEOUS! is that 20 fucking monsters? so healthy man well done
Thanks! That’s only 6 plants.
The male just started showing this week. I’m pulling it out today, chopping, and making salve from it.
As far as shipping goes, it took 5 day’s for them to come in the mail. Cali>Colorado. No issues.

Most accidental seeds are cause by hermaphrodites in the grow that didn’t get noticed in time. Very rare for anyone to have a true male in their indoor grow and not notice it. Hermies can be easy to miss though.
The seeds produced from hermies almost always grow up to produce more hermies.
That can mean anything from a full blown female with male pods, to a female that shows a few nanners late in flowering.
You can sometimes work around that if you just want to have ‘something to grow’. But good quality seeds are cheap for the value, IMO.
Nicely said, I just went through the same thing. I had 12 beautiful plants in flower and introduced two that came out of dispensary highgrade weed into my flower room and never noticed the bananas until it was to late. Every plant has seeds from a 10x10 grow room. Still great smoke but it's a bitch to grind up one.

I’ve just stuck some mystery bagseed plant into flowering now actually. I grew a bunch in the early years- struggled with nanners a whole lot though. I’m a little surprised that dispensaries are selling seeded bud. No market for that where I live- you couldn’t give it away.
It might be worth asking them to ask their supplier friends where all the seeds came from.

I’ve just stuck some mystery bagseed plant into flowering now actually. I grew a bunch in the early years- struggled with nanners a whole lot though. I’m a little surprised that dispensaries are selling seeded bud. No market for that where I live- you couldn’t give it away.
It might be worth asking them to ask their supplier friends where all the seeds came from.

Comes from all the folks trying to jump on the perceived "cash train" while it's new/hot, so unlike other businesses where someone that doesn't know squat about cooking probably wouldn't open a bakery its folks doing it that don't have a clue about growing. Along with kind of hard to verify experience when hiring folks as not something you can check references on (or even have references in most cases ;) ), and less folks have a problem about lying or making their abilities sound better than they are. One of those it will sort it self out eventually as the folks putting out inferior product won't last very long or go under before they ever make a profit (seedy stuff at Dispensaries here goes for way under $100 an oz, so they probably buy it off the growers for a few hundred a pound I bet which would hardly cover costs even in an outside grow with lower overhead).

No dispensaries where I live but in my limited experience checking out a few in Vancouver last time I was there- the workers in them barely had a clue what they were talking about. The bud was mostly mediocre and dry and all looked and smelled the same.

On the other hand growing our own makes us a bit snooty because in the old days mostly we just cared about getting some bud. Any bud, to start, was better than none.

On the other hand... I was a little surprised to see shiny expensive store fronts, full of products all in rows looking so professional, with people inside who didn’t know what a sativa was.

Back
Top Bottom