Question about starting seeds

itskessler

Hey dudes and dudettes I'm in need of some growing expertise. I have 6 seeds in peat discs in those plantable starter pots. i didn't add any soil into the pots i just set the water saturated peat discs into the pots then put the seeds inside the peat. Now its safe to say these discs didn't make it all the way to the bottom of the pots in some cases so theres going to be a void between the bottom of the peat disc and the pot. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to replant or just start over with new seeds? I'm only into day 3, mind you these seeds haven't been germinated before being placed into the peat. Lemme know, peace :Rasta:

Hey dudes and dudettes I'm in need of some growing expertise. I have 6 seeds in peat discs in those plantable starter pots. i didn't add any soil into the pots i just set the water saturated peat discs into the pots then put the seeds inside the peat. Now its safe to say these discs didn't make it all the way to the bottom of the pots in some cases so theres going to be a void between the bottom of the peat disc and the pot. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to replant or just start over with new seeds? I'm only into day 3, mind you these seeds haven't been germinated before being placed into the peat. Lemme know, peace :Rasta:
First off, as many here know, I'm not a fan of the peat pellets. That said, I hope you sqeezed out most of the water before you put the seeds in. Otherwise they could become overly wet and rot instead of sprout. Sprouting from planted seed takes 5-7+ days to pop the surface so keep an eye out for them. If they don't sprout in the next few days, start a new batch. The void in the bottom shouldn't be an issue. A bigger issue, I feel, is the "netting" around the swollen peat pellet. If you can, before planting, remove the netting.

Suppose I use a small pair of tweezers and surgically remove the netting from around the peat next time i water it?

I've never had problems germinating seeds, I've set them in a cup of water in a brightly lit window and they still germinated. Which is the exact opposite of what you are "supposed" to do. If they don't germ it might just be some bunk seeds.

I used peat pellets for an outdoor grow once and sure enough the raccoons or some animal dug them up just to eat the outside shell of the pellet. The biodegradeble shell that holds it together as it expands has some sore of attractivness to outdoor critters so be warned. There were other plants near that i hadn't used pellets and just transplanted the seedlings into the ground. Those were untouched. Has anyone else had a problem with this. FOr thsi reason alone (atleast for outdoor grows) I also wouldn't reccomend them.

Back
Top Bottom