Question about the smell

Vicious420

This is honestly the only thing from holding me back from setting up a grow room, a 5x5 space for flowering and a 5 foot 8 inch by 3 foot closet for veg/clones.

I was born without a sense of smell. If my sense of smell were my eye sight I'd be legally blind. I'm afraid if I start growing I'll be totally blind to any smell that might still be getting out of the little house even with activated carbon filters and ventilating.

I remember sometimes my dog would take a large dump in the room and I would never know it until I either got up and saw it or someone else came home and let me know.

My question is with all the strains out there. When they have things like blue berry, strawberry, and lemon in the names. Does that just mean that the taste of the smoke only tastes like those or does it also mean the smell of the plants even before the harvest is like those fruits also?

If I was growing something like lemon haze would my little place here smell just like a lot of lemons so someone walking by would be oblivious to what was in here or would it still have some kind of scent with the lemon to it that would give away a grow operation here?

I ask because one of my neighbors is a pot dealer. He's a nice guy but we aren't friends and I'd rather he did not know anything about what I would be doing. Along with everyone else but especially him. I'm sure he'd know exactly what he was smelling.

I'm starting to think its a lost cause already because of this. I have no concept of smell let alone the kinds of scents different strains have. In my case strains best for medical purposes for dispensaries which I'm sure have the most powerful scents of them all.

Thanks.

Hey there! Lets try and tackle these in order.
I was born without a sense of smell. If my sense of smell were my eye sight I'd be legally blind. I'm afraid if I start growing I'll be totally blind to any smell that might still be getting out of the little house even with activated carbon filters and ventilating.
With the proper size exhaust and filter no one would know a thing outside the room. The fan and filter combo should be able to exchange the air in your room once every 3-5 minutes I think (don't quote me there.) The correct size can be determined but the height of the room is needed also.

My question is with all the strains out there. When they have things like blue berry, strawberry, and lemon in the names. Does that just mean that the taste of the smoke only tastes like those or does it also mean the smell of the plants even before the harvest is like those fruits also?
I have noticed with the super lemon haze that there is a lemon smell but there is no mistaking the skunk, as for blueberry and the like the names tend to refer both to smell and flavor but I would just assume they will all have a rather distinct "pot" smell to anyone in the know. (insert fan and filter here!)
If I was growing something like lemon haze would my little place here smell just like a lot of lemons so someone walking by would be oblivious to what was in here or would it still have some kind of scent with the lemon to it that would give away a grow operation here?
Mine smell like a skunk sprayed with lemon pledge, fan and filter solve that.
I ask because one of my neighbors is a pot dealer. He's a nice guy but we aren't friends and I'd rather he did not know anything about what I would be doing. Along with everyone else but especially him. I'm sure he'd know exactly what he was smelling.
I could not agree more and for just that reason I would get a nice strong fan, maybe one rated a little bigger than the area you will use to keep the air flow where it should be, through the filter. Good idea, don't tell him. When it comes time for him to tell his buddies about the guy with the chronic growing he will use the same reasoning, he's a nice guy but we aren't friends... Better safe than sorry:rollit:
I'm starting to think its a lost cause already because of this. I have no concept of smell let alone the kinds of scents different strains have. In my case strains best for medical purposes for dispensaries which I'm sure have the most powerful scents of them all.
Don't get discouraged yo! There are many very potent strains out there that have little to no smell when growing, or at least not a smell you would instantly associate with marijuana. I think with the proper room planning and set up you will be rolling in it before you know it! It's very possible to do, most of us don't own homes, we grow in our apartments we are all dealing with the same issues. You came to the right place keep your head up and keep asking questions! Hope that helped some.:cheer:

Hey, Thanks for the fast reply, It was really reassuring

Its a funny thing about the place I live. Its technically an apartment but the actual place is a small 1 bed room house. There is 6 of them lined up in a small little area. The land lord never comes by. I had a dog here for 2 years when it was not allowed on the lease and he never knew it.

My grow room would be 1/4th of my bed room set up from a wall I'd put up with framing and something reflective. It would be the perfect amount of space for a 600watt HPS light for flowering. Plus the closet would be perfect for vegging and the clones on the shelf. Not sure if the light should be 400 or 600 in there. Either way it won't be to hard on the electric bill compared to some people having six 1000watt lights on 24/7.

I would build 3 DIY aeroponics systems in accordance with the "Harvest 1 pound every 3 weeks" set up. You can see why I'm so worried about the smell. lol. If it isn't growing then its getting dried and cured. I've read that also smells a lot. I know hydro/aero isn't the best for new growers but I'd be starting with less expensive strains for experience at first. It would probably be a little bit more than 3 weeks for me though as that guy had two 1000watt lights.

Another question I had was of extension cords and power strips. There's no way I could have all the equipment needed to grow on just the 2 outlets in this room. Is there a safe kind of extension cord and power strip that is the standard for growers?

I'm pretty sure this little place is good for 60 amps. Should be more then enough for 2 600watt lights and a bunch of fans, pumps, dehumidifier and an AC unit spread out through the outlets.

Do you think I could vent the hot air from the grow room through the filter and then vent it close to where the AC blows its cool air into the room instead of venting it out doors? I'm not sure how hot a room could get from 2 600 watt lights.

The one in the closet I'll probably just leave the door open while the lights are on and then close it when the light cycle is off to keep light from getting in. Or does that only matter during flowering?

Back
Top Bottom