Question About Topping

dawook4420

Hey everyone! On my second grow now. With better genetics (two Northern Lights photoperiod feminized) and a full grow under my belt, my plants are growing so much faster and nicer than last time! I just hit 6 nodes and my internode spacing is tiny compared to my first grow. I've read several places that this is the best time to top the plants and that I should top to the third node. My question pertains to what constitutes the first node? My bottom two nodes are the locations where the first two sets of leaves grew — the set of single-blade leaves that grow first and the set of three-bladed leaves that grow next. Both nodes have branches growing out and my plan is to do a 4-way manifold (I think that's what it's called), so I plan on snipping these branches and fan leaves anyways once the plants grow a little larger. Then I'm going to tie down the branches at the third node and the two growing from where I top into the shape of a cross. So am I going about this correctly or am I confusing what's considered the first node? Would the first node, instead, be the node where the first fully developed fan leaves are located? Please advise. Thanks!

:rollit:

20170503_173144.jpg
20170503_173148.jpg
20170503_173153.jpg

Heya,, first off, there is no actual exact method or node,, to each their own,, seriously.

The very two bottom leaves will grow side branches but in my experience those branches never perform well, so i would not count those, tho they have branches.

Dont worry much about going back a couple of nodes to pinch it off, these plants can take it

So very many factors decide each folks preference. Three is a good start, I usually do four, not counting the bottomest weak ones

:volcano-smiley:

Heya,, first off, there is no actual exact method or node,, to each their own,, seriously.

The very two bottom leaves will grow side branches but in my experience those branches never perform well, so i would not count those, tho they have branches.

Dont worry much about going back a couple of nodes to pinch it off, these plants can take it

So very many factors decide each folks preference. Three is a good start, I usually do four, not counting the bottomest weak ones

:volcano-smiley:

Thanks nivek! I guess maybe I should let them grow a bit more before I top them. They just sprouted their sixth nodes (including the two bottom leaves). The plants are so short and the internodes so tight, though, that I feel like if I top it now I'm gonna have trouble getting my water spout under the LST'd branches. So probably best to let them get a little taller, maybe one or two more nodes like yours. Thanks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom