Question, If I May?

Ennui

First off I'm a N00b in the middle of his first grow and it's in soil.

My question is, I see a lot of people I'd consider knowledgeable prefer hydro over soil and I've been trying to work out the reason for myself. Is it a root thing where you can either get more mass than a pot or is it less is required due to contact surface to support a larger plant as compared to the same size soil pot?

Another thing, for those that have grown the same strain in both media, were there any differences in effect or other sensory perception? I've seen debate on the issue, figured I'd run it by those who'd know. Don't have to get scientific, general experience is perfect.

One more thing (Guess I had a few Q's and didn't know it. Either that or it's the 'old one question leads to another' at work.),

I'd like to try it, but if size and yield are the majority of the benefits, I'd rather grow bushes than trees just so I could do it more often. If it's something else I'm not getting on my own...

A lot of folks like hydro for explosive vegetative grow. Bigger plant=more flowers. Another reason would be complete control of of what your plant eats and how much it eats.

I grow Hempy style(passive hydro) with only one stand alone nutrient (maxibloom). I had a lot of trouble with pests and over/under watering when I started off in soil.

My personal opinion is that organically grown buds are great for flavor/odor, but my buds taste/smell just fine with my minimalistic approach. As far as differences in effect, I find none.

Some examples of my hempys.

I'm sure others will chime in. Different strokes and all that

I think it’s just personal preference they’re both great. It depends on the grower’s ability with whatever system they choose more than anything.

You should find what system works best for you then worry about perfecting that system to what works best for the plants. Some people love to geek out on hydro equipment and nute supplements, others love to geek out on soil microbes and chicken poop. In my opinion it’s the growers that love their system whatever it is that produce the best nugs.
:passitleft:

I love my continuous drip re-circulation system. The growth rate is way beyond anything I have seen in soil, except maybe Doc's Brix formula. I get 1.2 meter high plants finished off in 100 days total.

Thanks for the insightful answers, appreciate it.

@Ganjagrowergu , was your pest issue something that came from the soil or the environment?

Like I said, I know nothing. I try to figure it myself and then check to see how close I am when I don't see anything else I could be missing.

So it is mainly a yield driver method over say flavor or strength.

I'm growing nothing but mainlines going forward and will stick to soil until I get consistency and then possibly try something else. Although I could accommodate bigger, I don't use a whole lot and it's just for me. The setup isn't something I want to have to drag out and set up like a X-mas tree every year, IYKWIMAITYD.

Thanks for the insightful answers, appreciate it.

@Ganjagrowergu , was your pest issue something that came from the soil or the environment?

Like I said, I know nothing. I try to figure it myself and then check to see how close I am when I don't see anything else I could be missing.

So it is mainly a yield driver method over say flavor or strength.

I'm growing nothing but mainlines going forward and will stick to soil until I get consistency and then possibly try something else. Although I could accommodate bigger, I don't use a whole lot and it's just for me. The setup isn't something I want to have to drag out and set up like a X-mas tree every year, IYKWIMAITYD.
I used Fox Farms Ocean Forest and routinely had fungus gnats. They are what they are, pests. Easy enough to get rid of, but more work than I am willing and able to do at the moment. Seems like I got some random bugs in a bag another time, killed them with ladybugs.

I went the laziest route possible, because in my world that is what I have time for. Like @DrDoob said, everyone has their own set of parameters for success.

Hydroponics can also get pests. I brought an orchid into my house years ago and ended up with a fungus fly infestation in my grow media. I also had a chronic pathogenic fungus in my system which caused stem rot until I changed out the media.

Hydroponic systems are semipermanent since they are quite a bit of work to set up.

Then again, a case could be made for the motivation being the level of control
I used Fox Farms Ocean Forest and routinely had fungus gnats. They are what they are, pests. Easy enough to get rid of, but more work than I am willing and able to do at the moment. Seems like I got some random bugs in a bag another time, killed them with ladybugs.

I went the laziest route possible, because in my world that is what I have time for. Like @DrDoob said, everyone has their own set of parameters for success.

It's not FF fault, but rather where the retailer stored the pallet. That's where it picked up hitchhikers.

A thin layer of food grade diatomaceous earth on top of the soil in the pot would have prevented it for you.

Then again, a case could be made for the motivation being the level of control

It's not FF fault, but rather where the retailer stored the pallet. That's where it picked up hitchhikers.

A thin layer of food grade diatomaceous earth on top of the soil in the pot would have prevented it for you.

Oh, I don't really blame anyone. I loved the buds I grew with FFOF. Flavor was amazing. I used DE to take care of my infestations, now i use it on all of the thresholds instead of in my tent.

I have a very busy life, hempy is simple, and simple I can find time for... most of the time.

Oh, I don't really blame anyone. I loved the buds I grew with FFOF. Flavor was amazing. I used DE to take care of my infestations, now i use it on all of the thresholds instead of in my tent.

I have a very busy life, hempy is simple, and simple I can find time for... most of the time.

Yep, not trying to convince or sway anyone, just putting it out there for the next person. I'm a stickler for going with your set of givens. ;)

Couple of hundred players on the PGA tour, each with a different swing, but they all manage to get the ball in the cup. Only difference between them and the average Joe is they accepted their givens and worked with them instead of trying to mould themselves to someone else's givens. They went with what fit them.

Back
Top Bottom