Question on germination indoors and growing outdoors

OK so I am going to answer my own question. I continued to do online research after I posted this thread. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. What I did find was this,
The easiest way for starting your seedlings inside then putting your plants outside can be if you adjust your indoor lighting schedule to prepare them for the move to the outdoors. This means you would start growing indoors but follow the natural outdoor photoperiod. Let's say there are currently 14 hours of natural light per day, then you would adjust your indoor light schedule accordingly and also set it to 14 hours. You would gradually adjust your indoor light duration every few days for a few minutes to keep the two light cycles (indoors and outdoors) in sync. This would then allow you to put your plants outside without the negative effects of a sudden difference in light duration.
After I read that on a site I found while searching using different questions, I saved it to my phone and then looked at my weather app. Hey it has daily sunrise and sunset. So I will do it that way and see how it goes...

I need advice on germinating indoors and moving them outdoors later. Can I grow them under a grow light while inside or do i need to set them in front of a window a couple hours in the morning and the same in the afternoon getting them used to sunlight while waiting on the weather to settle in to spring.
Yes you can just make sure to harden them off a little by gradually moving them out into direct sun. Start by putting them out when you can keep an eye on them for drooping when out in the sun to move them back in the shade. Until acclimated.

Yes you can just make sure to harden them off a little by gradually moving them out into direct sun. Start by putting them out when you can keep an eye on them for drooping when out in the sun to move them back in the shade. Until acclimated.
I can't do that here where I'm at. However I can get them started then take them to my buddies place a week or two before we put them in the ground. His place is close enough I can go up and set them out go back and put them back inside and do that a couple times a day for a week or two increasing the out time each time if that will work? I plan on starting them here in peat pots, do i need the grow light for a week or two before I take them to his house to acclimate them to the outside?

I can't do that here where I'm at. However I can get them started then take them to my buddies place a week or two before we put them in the ground. His place is close enough I can go up and set them out go back and put them back inside and do that a couple times a day for a week or two increasing the out time each time if that will work? I plan on starting them here in peat pots, do i need the grow light for a week or two before I take them to his house to acclimate them to the outside?
You can use cfl lights just keep them close to the tops to get the best growth their range is limited. And I don't think it would take 2 weeks to acclimate probably more like 4 days max imo . Just make sure the container is not sitting in direct sunlight . Cooking the roots would be bad .

You can use cfl lights just keep them close to the tops to get the best growth their range is limited. And I don't think it would take 2 weeks to acclimate probably more like 4 days max imo . Just make sure the container is not sitting in direct sunlight . Cooking the roots would be bad .
OK will pick up my cfl in the next week or so when I pick up everything else. Greatly appreciate it my brother!

What about ff happy frog? That was my first choice. I'm only getting in 5 WW beans and will start out with 3 I can get the same amount for Ihust a little more money then I can use the ff trio nutes.
Not too sure just enter it I the search and look for pointers on others journals . May still have to start them in a light mix before transplanting.

I had some plants last year that were started inside and then moved outside. I started the transition by putting them next to the patio door for a day to get similar light. I next put them outside in pots sitting on top of a propagation heating mat. They were acclimated within a couple of days an then I put one in an outside DWC and the other in Soil. They had no problems at all and took off growing leaps and bounds.

Back
Top Bottom