Question on potting

denco61

This is the first time growing my germination has started well now getting into potting is it important to put stones through the soil for the roots or not do that

I personally don't add stones or clay pellets to my grow mixture. It is a personal decision to add additional products to increase drainage. It would start with what type of potting mix or CoCo are you using. If the potting mix doesn't drain sufficiently for you then you could add something like perlite. The more perlite you add the more often you will have to water but also will reduce the risk of overwatering.

It is a good idea regardless of growing medium is to get accustomed to what the growing container feels like in weight when wet and when starting to dry out. This will help you make sure you don't over water.

Thank you Troy for your answer. this year I am growing NYC diesel and white widow I am just using regular potting soil I'm starting indoors and then moving Outdoors using regular lighting these are an autoflowering seeds so the lighting I know I don't have to be worried about all I was concerned about was the soil if I should put stones through it or not

I personally add perlite to my soil (not seedling soil), and from what I've read it seems like a lot of other growers do too. I aim for about around 60-70%/40-30% soil/perlite. You don't have to of course, and if your soil is good enough and offers decent drainage and aeration you shouldn't need it. Is perlite what you meant by 'stones' or were you thinking of putting actual pebbles/rocks in your soil?

'm not a rich person so I'm not out buying a lot of stuff for growing I'm doing everything natural I'm using just regular potting soil and I was curious if that was good my potting pots have holes in them for proper drainage I was just wondering if putting pebbles in the soil makes it better foundation for the roots and what I mean by Pebbles are the gardening Pebbles you can get at a dollar store the weights soft-edged Garden Pebbles

My last two grows have been in CoCo (no additional additives) Has great drainage and not need for additional drainage material.

If you are just starting out inside I would just use the potting mix out of the bag and then when you go to transplant outside mix a bit in the hole before you drop your babies it.

Thanks guys for the information like I said I'm new at this so any and all information I get I will take into consideration and decide the steps I will take when I move my plants outside they will remain in their pots I'm not putting them in the ground I'm just putting them outside for air circulation plus the fact is my wife doesn't like the smell LOL

We are here to assist as best we can. While each of us individually doesn't know the answer to all questions - there will be someone here on 420 that does know.

A good suggestion is to create a Grow Journal and put a link to it in your signature you will drive a lot of people to your journal.

Growers mix using perlite, even regular veggie/flower growers. I'm not sure if pebbles would have the same effect. Not sure about the cost where you are but here perlite is roughly a dollar per litre, so $25 will get me 25L and it lasts a while especially if you don't mix at a high ratio. Are the pebbles considerably cheaper than that? If your potting soil has chunks of wood that should have a similar effect to the perlite/pebbles and you should be fine without it. Otherwise depending on how much stuff is and how many plants you plan to grow you could always grow side-by-side one with and one without pebbles/perlite and see what happens.

I got premium Potting soil mixed with peat moss and i believe a couple other natural things, I have Feminized White Widow (not Auto) that I'm starting indoors aswell and will transplant outdoors.

I have roughly 20 some Biodegradable Pots and Bonemeal/Bloodmeal Mix. I Am going to buy Natural Organic fertilizer.
When I germinate the seeds I will put them in the pots and wait for them to pop out to see light and become seedlings.

I'm going to harden the plants before i transplant them, as in i will take them outside to get some light feel the wind and bring them inside before drop of temperature at night for the first couple of weeks.
And to make sure the Transplant goes succesful that is why i bought biodegradable pots, I'll cuts some holes into it during transplant to make it easier to break up and so the Roots have a much easier time spreading and getting out and to protect the roots as best as possible.

They key thing to know here is How to safely transplant and how to feed your plants.
The outside location i'm going to grow at I'm gonna dig up and throw some fish heads I've caught myself, throw banana peels in maybe some apples and just organic compostable stuff for organic nutrients for the plant aswell as throw some more potting soil or store bought soiled filled with nutrients over top of the composted stuff and filling the hole up (pretty much tilling the ground and replacing the soil like farmers do )
I'm mainly looking for a spot with good sunligh and because it's not auto flowering i may have to put up tarps to mimic the seasons outdoors to start the flowering

This is my first time growing too atleast marijuana, I grow my own tomato's and i'm gonna start growing spinach this year aswell so i'll have 3 things on the go; I may be first time growing weed but i've bene growing plants for a while now so im hoping marijuana won't be too much different and because of outdoors i'll just have to watch it and keep an eye out

I should also mention if your planting outdoors just be careful of animals and theives
I'm spending my money from my job on higher security of the area im growing in, I'm buying 9 gage wire to surround the area of my plants to prevent deers and other critters or theives from getting to my plants (the last two years attempted were eaten by coyets and deers(but i just threw seeds down and waited to see them grow this year im actually extremely serious about it and im buying everything to make sure no pests happen and to prevent theives and animals from gettign to them))
I am definitly putting up some deer cams, and live feed wireless cams aswell so i can not only see how the plants are doing and amend the area or know how to better keep my plants sustained and thriving but also keep security levels high around my plants.

Haven't grown (weed) in a LONG, LONG time, but am starting up an auto-flowering Northern Lights, White Widow and AK-47 grow next week. I'm using Kind Soil base, Fox Farms Ocean Forest 70% , added perlite 10% and Fox Farms Happy Frog 20% in smart pots. All pots will be sitting on an open grill above a run-off catcher pan so effectively there's little, if any, chance of over-watering.

I don't work for Kind Soil, but this soil is amazing. I've grown everything from orchids to rose apples to plumeria in it. If a seed can germinate, or a clone can grow, it will in Kind Soil.

Back
Top Bottom