Question regarding harvest straight to decarb for tincture

NewToTHC

Hello:

Screwed up a grow, overfertilized, mites, disaster. Was going to chuck the plant. Decided to do a bud wash instead and was going to make a tincture. Do i need to cure the cannabis or can i just dry it, grind it up and decarb, or is a cure necessary?

The only requirement for decarboxylation (via heat) is to dry the product.

I presume even that isn't technically necessary if the process is moderate temperature / LONG time, instead of the usual (relatively) high temperature / short time. Again, that's just an assumption on my part.

I don't. Just make sure she's dry or else she may come out of the oven still a little squishy.
The primary and easiest thing i do is grind up the decarb into a fine dust and fill capsules with it.

Sometimes I'll decarb it in a jar with some olive oil (or whatever oil you want) and just leave it in an extra hour. Then turn off the oven and let the jar cool down before removing.
Strain off the plant material, store in an oil vessel of choice in a cool, dark place and enjoy! Be sure to label it through!
Mrs cough like to pour a little in a small dish with some Italian herbs and dip bread in it like the stuff they bring to the table at fancy restaurants except it gives you a decent buzz

Have you thought about doing a water cure?? I harvested an Auto that I grew that was harvested when it was very humid - so I did the water cure - now I'm a novice at this but I like the fact that when I vape it is pretty much odourless and tasteless and smooth but most of it when it was dry enough I decarbed in an oven in mason jars and then ground it and put it in the freezer.
Just to give you more options.

Ew :( . Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I kinda know what you mean...when I see it written down...it looks, well, dumb but I'm actually just after the relaxation and pain management etc. and I mostly do oil capsules or ginger cookies but if I want instant response I pull out the vape but it is sometimes harsh plus I don't like the taste in the cookies or brownies or chocolates so it will be interesting to see how it works in those. :ciao:

Have you thought about doing a water cure?? I harvested an Auto that I grew that was harvested when it was very humid - so I did the water cure -
Have done water cures before, actually always take a bud at harvest and do a water cure just to test it's potency, but yes, no flavour so figure may as well us it in a tincture.

Apart from dealing with smell, I think water cured cannabis can be good for people who regularly use, but need to exercise caution due to pre-existing conditions, as some negative mental effects can be triggered by terpenes. (weed never used to have such intense VOC's)
I say this as I drunk a tasty cup of first day soak (of a 10 day soak) and that convinced me
Personal opinion but loving the water cure, no worries over excessive smell, more therapeutic for some and it hits stronger weight for weight

Apart from dealing with smell, I think water cured cannabis can be good for people who regularly use, but need to exercise caution due to pre-existing conditions, as some negative mental effects can be triggered by terpenes. (weed never used to have such intense VOC's)
I say this as I drunk a tasty cup of first day soak (of a 10 day soak) and that convinced me
Personal opinion but loving the water cure, no worries over excessive smell, more therapeutic for some and it hits stronger weight for weight
And quite possible more healthy as any residual chemicals may be leeched out. Just a guess but possible I suppose

This year I will probably do about half of my harvest as Water Cure. Since I use a lot in edibles I don't want odour or flavour and so far I have found the vape much smoother. I haven't tried the smoke yet nor have I gotten around to making any oil but it stands to reason.

This year I will probably do about half of my harvest as Water Cure. Since I use a lot in edibles I don't want odour or flavour and so far I have found the vape much smoother. I haven't tried the smoke yet nor have I gotten around to making any oil but it stands to reason.
Yes, I water cure part my harvest too as I live in flats
As you say, in a vape you just get the hit with a hint of flavour

Sometimes I'll decarb it in a jar with some olive oil (or whatever oil you want) and just leave it in an extra hour. Then turn off the oven and let the jar cool down before removing.
Southerncough, that sounds like something I would like to try. Perhaps you could provide a little more info:
Approx how much oil to use; lightly soak the weed, or cover the weed with oil, or just oil the glass bowl before putting the weed in?

I'm thinking the heat should be around 410 degree, when you said leave the jar in the over an extra hour; How long should the weed be in the oven before leaving it that extra hour?

Obviously I'm very new at the process of making decarb and wide open to suggestions.

Spark up

Hey Gary - I generally decarb in Mason Jars on there side, about 1" deep of lightly crumbled weed, with a small hole punched in the top just to make sure no pressure builds. I do it in a Toaster oven at 225F for a little over an hour and also leave time for the jar to heat up and the air inside. I give the jar a shake every 20 minutes or so and then when done I kind of grind it down with a 3/4" dowel, kind of Mortor and pestle style. Then in a small sauce pan I heat up about a cup of coconut oil and keep adding my crumbled , decarbed weed until no more will soak up the oil. The finer the grind the more fits in so it can get powerful. I then keep it at about 100 - 125 F for a couple of hours - stirring every 1/2 hour or so. Let it cool enough to be able to squeeze thru panty hose or what ever you can find to strain it. Just squeeze the hell out of it to get it all out. That part is messy and you will end up licking your fingers so watch out!!! :hmmmm:

Hey Gary - I generally decarb in Mason Jars on there side, about 1" deep of lightly crumbled weed, with a small hole punched in the top just to make sure no pressure builds. I do it in a Toaster oven at 225F for a little over an hour and also leave time for the jar to heat up and the air inside. I give the jar a shake every 20 minutes or so and then when done I kind of grind it down with a 3/4" dowel, kind of Mortor and pestle style. Then in a small sauce pan I heat up about a cup of coconut oil and keep adding my crumbled , decarbed weed until no more will soak up the oil. The finer the grind the more fits in so it can get powerful. I then keep it at about 100 - 125 F for a couple of hours - stirring every 1/2 hour or so. Let it cool enough to be able to squeeze thru panty hose or what ever you can find to strain it. Just squeeze the hell out of it to get it all out. That part is messy and you will end up licking your fingers so watch out!!! :hmmmm:
Mr. greenjeans, thanks for your answer and clearing up a few questions I had.
You the Man.
I'll be passing this receipt along to the miss's, she prefers that I stay out of the kitchen, except when it's time to do the dish's.
Spark up and Happy Sunday.

Southerncough, that sounds like something I would like to try. Perhaps you could provide a little more info:
Approx how much oil to use; lightly soak the weed, or cover the weed with oil, or just oil the glass bowl before putting the weed in?

I'm thinking the heat should be around 410 degree, when you said leave the jar in the over an extra hour; How long should the weed be in the oven before leaving it that extra hour?

Obviously I'm very new at the process of making decarb and wide open to suggestions.

Spark up
I do it in a mason jar too.
1) break the flowers up into approximately marble size chunks
2) place flowers in jar (however much you want to use)
3) add enough oil of choice to at least cover the flower, more oil is fine too
4) place lid on jar (optional foil or no lid if you don't mind stankin up the whole house)
5) place jar in cold oven (I don't preheat so the jar can warm and cool with the oven)
6) turn on oven to 240 and leave it in there for 2 hours (max)
7) after 2 hours, turn off oven and let the jar cool down inside (you don't want to handle it yet anyway because that hot oil will get ya!
8) remove cool jar from oven
9) strain through coffee filter into a second jar. Sometimes I'll run it first through a mesh kitchen strainer to catch the big chunks and then through the coffee filter to catch the fine particles.

I used to do it in a crock pot but it takes a lot longer. If you do go that route, definitely buy some plastic slow cooker bags for a super easy cleanup. Otherwise it's an oily greasy mess LOL

I do it in a mason jar too.
1) break the flowers up into approximately marble size chunks
2) place flowers in jar (however much you want to use)
3) add enough oil of choice to at least cover the flower, more oil is fine too
4) place lid on jar (optional foil or no lid if you don't mind stankin up the whole house)
5) place jar in cold oven (I don't preheat so the jar can warm and cool with the oven)
6) turn on oven to 240 and leave it in there for 2 hours (max)
7) after 2 hours, turn off oven and let the jar cool down inside (you don't want to handle it yet anyway because that hot oil will get ya!
8) remove cool jar from oven
9) strain through coffee filter into a second jar. Sometimes I'll run it first through a mesh kitchen strainer to catch the big chunks and then through the coffee filter to catch the fine particles.

I used to do it in a crock pot but it takes a lot longer. If you do go that route, definitely buy some plastic slow cooker bags for a super easy cleanup. Otherwise it's an oily greasy mess LOL
@Southerncough, thank you kindly. Now I have something else for the little lady to experiment with.
Happy Sunday.

I don't. Just make sure she's dry or else she may come out of the oven still a little squishy.
The primary and easiest thing i do is grind up the decarb into a fine dust and fill capsules with it.

Strain off the plant material, store in an oil vessel of choice in a cool, dark place and enjoy! Be sure to label it through!
Mrs cough like to pour a little in a small dish with some Italian herbs and dip bread in it like the stuff they bring to the table at fancy restaurants except it gives you a decent buzz
As a mediterranean, consider my mind blown.

Back
Top Bottom