Questions about carbon filters/scrubbers trying to decide what to do with old one

Looks, I mean smells, like my exhaust filter has expired.
Been smelling it a bit more in the house lately. And just today went outside and WHEW!!!!! Pure KUSH blowing out my exhaust port, shit. Now I have been thinking about getting a longer slimmer (not so heavy) filter to hang from the rafters in my 5x5x6ft tent anyway. Then I'd have more room for my next grow. The thing I have now is way too heavy and fat to hang from the rafters. That is why I had to stick it in the corner of the tent. Am I better off replacing the charcoal in my current filter to see me through this grow then upgrade to a new one at switchover? And if replacing charcoal is a better idea, is it pretty straight forward to do? I've never had to buy a new one before. Can anyone steer me in the right direction with picking out a new one or re packing my old one? I have a budget of about $200.00

thanks in advance

Pop out the rivets, and dump the old stuff. Pour in new stuff. You can buy the pellets online. The pellets collect more odor than the crushed type.

hey Vick074, I've seen a couple of posts from you around here and I like your enthusiasm. I had the same issue a while ago with the filter, I have a DR240W (4x8x7) and my can filter 50 was 55lbs on it's own!! So I returned it for a "ProFilter70S" which is only 22lbs!! (long skinny) and it's pretty cheap. I believe Phresh also makes really good lightweight filters(I have one soon to be used) and pretty cheap as well. 3 things you can do to expand life of filter...1. shake the shit out of it between grows to reactivate carbon 2. Wash/replace the pre filter 3. place saran wrap around the bottom 1/3rd so air only blows/sucks through 2/3 of it (works awesome I swear).

I also noticed you said you were having troubles ordering some things they only make in the states? (ie. Hydrofarm, C.A.P, Titan) I know it's not a sponsor but you should check out m*n*ter g*r*ens. I just ordered 3gs worth of equip and only paid $400 for shipping!! absolutely no hidden fees/brokerage fees/shipping/handling/taxes....nada!!! $400 for 380 lbs of shit!

Thanks U.G.
Nice to meet you.
I think I'm going to go with a long skinny like you're talking about.
Just makes sense to upgrade to something that is going to give me more space and work the same or better.
I'll re-condition the old one and have it around as back-up.

Thanks Mutt, if it's that easy I'll totally do it and like I said have it as a back up.

cheers guys

I found a filter called can-lite put it on a 6in HO canfan works very good i think filter and blower weigh about 33 pounds, paid 350.00 for both. just my 2 cents

I ended up going with a Can-lite 600 cfm filter. More than ample for my 5x5 tent. Only paid 190.00 for it. switched my exhaust and intake fan around. Now I have a perfect flow going on that's controllable by speed controllers on both ends.
And no more smell!!
Thanks for the input guys!

Can anyone recommend a good carbon filter that's quiet? Are they loud generally? My grow room is only 1x1.5m and there are two plants in fourth week of grow

It's not the filters that are loud. It's the fan and air rushing through the ducting that is loud. A combination of duct mufflers, insulated ducting, and putting your fans in muffler boxes are what are usually done to reduce noise..
The big question is what kind of lighting are you using? If you're using HID lighting like a HPS or MH then you're going to need exhaust and intake to keep things cool. If you're using CFL, flouros, or LED you won't have to worry so much about heat.
Tell me a bit more about your setup and I could help you a bit better.

I bought a fan filter combo on amazon for $140.00 ..... and that's with shipping. The fan and filter are both 6 inches. It puts out like 500 CFM or something like that. Another 20 bucks for a speed controller.

And it runs really quiet because the CFM is so high you really don't need to run it very fast at all. I think I run it at 30% or regular speed.

Bing Bang boom on the filters UG..
Here's a photo of the exact fan muffler box you were talking about. Screwed the fan to a piece of plywood through the bottom of the rubbermade. Then stuffed it with quilts and blankets all around the fan. I built one for my last grow, and it made a big difference in lowering noise. Having a speed controller is key too.
vent_2.jpg
vent_1.jpg
vent_51.jpg

It had run it's course.
Carbon filters have an expiry date unfortunately..
But its ok, I needed a lighter and longer one I could hang/use the space more effectively.
That old one was huge, and could have meant another fullsize plant where it was.
But I can replace the carbon in the old one and keep it around for any future scrubbing..

What model is the newer one? Im looking to purchase one my self

Maybe you missed it..:
I ended up going with a Can-lite 600 cfm filter. More than ample for my 5x5 tent. Only paid 190.00 for it. switched my exhaust and intake fan around. Now I have a perfect flow going on that's controllable by speed controllers on both ends.
And no more smell!!
Thanks for the input guys!

Back
Top Bottom