Questions involving stealth tents/boxes

Cap.n.Planet

My situation is I am living with two other roommates. I need to either make or purchase something entirely stealth. Something that can be put in a closet space and cannot produce an odor.

I've seen some really nice personal systems pre-made for a some what NOT so modest price. But I am paying for lazy mans route... I've read numerous DIY grow tents, lockers, boxes. But honestly I don't know if I have the time nor the ability to do so. So that sort of puts me in dilemma because buying isn't an option anymore way to expensive.

So what I am asking is reviews towards pre-made systems.

So far I have taken great interest in https://thescrogbox.com/Product_Info.html My primary question on this set up is what would the Yield be. Say a 2-3 plant set up if that be possible.

Now I really want to steer towards and LED set up since power consumption and heat will be an issue. I don't have access to vent heat into a chimney nor an attic or sewer system. SO I am asking for reviews and or opinions on different products.

I thank everyone who takes the time to help me in my situation. I apologize in my ignorance, but I am clearly making an effort to learn. Again I thank you all!:thanks:

i really only have experience with closets and rooms, but have made my living as a finish carpenter, and electrician... that seems like a lot of money for that box. The thing with stealth for you is really gonna be hiding your materials... medium, nutes, water etc... as well the
smell.

Also, even with more space, when yer doing things right, this stuff grows fast and a lot... things can get out of control in a small space fast.

Its hard to hide things and take care of em.

I would section off a piece of your closet about the size of a pantry cab. put as much florescent light in the top, invest in dirt and air fresheners...

If your roomies know you smoke maybe the smell wont be to big a deal.

I agree with Headmed.... that box for 699$ is a ripoff for something so basic...I wouldn't buy it... it doesn't mention anything about odor control, and that little LED light with only 2 bands wont do much for you..

I would suggest checking into grow tents, you could hide it in your closet, they have great frames for lights, fans, carbon filters and will allow you more vertical space to utilize than that tiny little cabinet..

look at a 2x2 grow tent, prob run you 150$ (or gut out an old dresser for cheaper)
get a 90w UFO grow light, 5+ band around 200$
a couple CFL bulbs and sockets...30-40$
get a 4" fan and carbon scrubber combo- 150$ on amazon
25' of flexible ducting about 20$
digital timer 20$
pots and soil...can be as cheap as 50$
nutrients...anywhere from 30$ and up...
digital thermometer and humidity meter...20$

That is a much better setup which will give you all around better results for yield, flexability, lighting, vent/odor control. Don't waste your money on that little box that will only make things more difficult and waste your time and $$$.

i really only have experience with closets and rooms, but have made my living as a finish carpenter, and electrician... that seems like a lot of money for that box. The thing with stealth for you is really gonna be hiding your materials... medium, nutes, water etc... as well the
smell.

Also, even with more space, when yer doing things right, this stuff grows fast and a lot... things can get out of control in a small space fast.

Its hard to hide things and take care of em.

I would section off a piece of your closet about the size of a pantry cab. put as much florescent light in the top, invest in dirt and air fresheners...

If your roomies know you smoke maybe the smell wont be to big a deal.

Thank you for your input, I agree that the box is some what of a rip off. Just looking at it again honestly looks like a gutted Ikea bedstand (white paint instead of mylar or foil)

My first hurdle is environment... then a detailed plan on nutes and such. Thanks again for you're input! :bravo:

I agree with Headmed.... that box for 699$ is a ripoff for something so basic...I wouldn't buy it... it doesn't mention anything about odor control, and that little LED light with only 2 bands wont do much for you..

I would suggest checking into grow tents, you could hide it in your closet, they have great frames for lights, fans, carbon filters and will allow you more vertical space to utilize than that tiny little cabinet..

look at a 2x2 grow tent, prob run you 150$ (or gut out an old dresser for cheaper)
get a 90w UFO grow light, 5+ band around 200$
a couple CFL bulbs and sockets...30-40$
get a 4" fan and carbon scrubber combo- 150$ on amazon
25' of flexible ducting about 20$
digital timer 20$
pots and soil...can be as cheap as 50$
nutrients...anywhere from 30$ and up...
digital thermometer and humidity meter...20$

That is a much better setup which will give you all around better results for yield, flexability, lighting, vent/odor control. Don't waste your money on that little box that will only make things more difficult and waste your time and $$$.

:woohoo: Again I agree with everything... After looking at a number of grow journals I was trying to estimate yield (even though each strand differs) with space and pots and the such. But yes back to the tents, I think it would be easy to conceal in the closet... nutes and the likes isn't hard to hide as I am going to have a dedicated bin for everything. Bins strangely don't raise any suspicion... haha.

I'll be putting together a list of what I think might do for me and be posting the links, so I'll welcome all and any opinions when I'm done with that. Thank you!

I second the tent with fan/filter idea.

I had a BC Northern Lights Mothership, and it's also a great product -- though pretty expensive. If you're going with a pre-made box, I would suggest that those are the ones that give you the best bang for your buck (products by BC Northern Lights). Though not cheap, they are highly proven and work very well. A lot of other pre-made boxes are a bit of a rip-off in that they are expensive and not even well thought out/designed. BCNL's stuff is legitimately well engineered. They are also a sponsor on this site.

For cost, though, a tent that fits in your closet with a modest, quiet fan, carbon filter, and ventilation would be a great way to go, too. Because they are easy enough to break down and move, and they can be effectively vented and made odor proof, you can't go too wrong with a tent setup as long as you have adequate ventilation. To keep temps down, T5 HO lighting could be a good way to go, supplemented with CFL's. If you can spend a few more bucks, a GOOD lcd light from a sponsor here would be a great way to go. Let me know if I can help in any way.

:goodluck: X

I second the tent with fan/filter idea.

I had a BC Northern Lights Mothership, and it's also a great product -- though pretty expensive. If you're going with a pre-made box, I would suggest that those are the ones that give you the best bang for your buck (products by BC Northern Lights). Though not cheap, they are highly proven and work very well. A lot of other pre-made boxes are a bit of a rip-off in that they are expensive and not even well thought out/designed. BCNL's stuff is legitimately well engineered. They are also a sponsor on this site.

For cost, though, a tent that fits in your closet with a modest, quiet fan, carbon filter, and ventilation would be a great way to go, too. Because they are easy enough to break down and move, and they can be effectively vented and made odor proof, you can't go too wrong with a tent setup as long as you have adequate ventilation. To keep temps down, T5 HO lighting could be a good way to go, supplemented with CFL's. If you can spend a few more bucks, a GOOD lcd light from a sponsor here would be a great way to go. Let me know if I can help in any way.

:goodluck: X

Thank you very much for you're input! Sorry for the late reply, life has been sort of more interesting lately.

I have been doing more research and I have looked at some LED lights but none I can seemingly afford... I have a budget of 700$ I really want to make a 4x4 grow tent.

Thank you very much for you're input! Sorry for the late reply, life has been sort of more interesting lately.

I have been doing more research and I have looked at some LED lights but none I can seemingly afford... I have a budget of 700$ I really want to make a 4x4 grow tent.

Look into a tent, HO (High Output) T5 flourescent lighting, or check out this link for a really affordable lighting option that you should be able to make with a little imagination:

The CFL "12-Pack" Grow Light How-To:

Basically this is just compact fluorescent lighting (CFL's) that is vented with some flexible ducting.

Fluorescent lighting is fairly effective, runs much cooler than most other lighting options, and can be affordable. Heat can be your enemy if you are growing stealth/ in a closet, etc. You want to keep your heat under 80f if you can. 75f is a pretty good sweet spot. No matter what you do you'll need to vent air from your space - it's just that there's a lot of lower budget/stealthier ventilation options for fluorescent lighting...

You should be able to find a decent tent that size for a couple of hundred dollars or less. :goodluck:

I've gotten 3 really nice tents off of eBay. They are of excellent quality. And they were a bargain compared to some hydro web-sites. And I got them from 2 different sellers. You just have to make sure you're getting the good stuff. If you're not a knit-wit you can usually tell who's selling crap.

amazon has some nice tents and are fairly cheap concidering what most sites charge. just depends on you needs.... gl capt

Back
Top Bottom