Questions Questions Question!!! Off With the Fan Leaves Will it Still Grow?

My first grow was going lovely 22 days strong. Great green color nice thick stalk and fan leaves huge. A couple days ago its mood swings start kicking in. I ddnt know what to hink so I read forums and googled a lot before making any moves to fix this problem. The problem was zinc and magnesium dificency. Also ph problem, reading 7.5. I'm growing in soil mixed with coco coir. At thee begining of veg I was using fish ferts then I switchd to floranova cause I'm also growing in hydro and floranova is usedfor both. I noticed the yellowing/lime color in th leaves and then the putple stem. I don't know if the purple is from genetics cause it dint start from bottom it was just at the top and only on two of the fan leaves. Right after I tryd to use sulfur to lower my ph but it wasn't working and then I got an idea, I went out to buy zinc and magnesium pills. I crushed up three o them and mixed with half gallon of water and fed it to the plant. Next morning wen the timer came on I looked at the plant and it was droppy and tight bunced at the canopy where I had topped it at. The top leaves shrunk down 3 sizes and had discoloration all over. The plant just looked dead. Only 6 fan leaves were un harmed and perky with the same green natural color. I moved the plant out of itsoriginal soil and put it in a hydro system. Of course I made sure the ph was rght after adding the nutes including super thrive. Coco coir was also added. [By the way there is no sign of root rot] after making the switch I cut all of the discolored dead looking leaves off. So now there are only six fan leaves total. New growth are coming from the nods. I googled to see if the plant will live after cutting off fan leaves and it gave me hope, come to find out some ppl cut fan leaves to git rid of shade so hat lower branches can produce more and bigger nuggs since its getting more light. My plnt is doing goodso far and is standing srong with signs of nw growth. I wonder if it will still have an ok yield? Only time can tell.

CFL lights 6500k
1tbs flora grow and 1/4 tsp bloom 1tsp super thrive. 5 gallon hydro system
Temp 86 humidity 55

I have a chart of nute problems in a blog under my name that mite help you
hoping for the best for you but unless the leaves were completly dead I wouldnt have taken them all off. but even Charlie Browns tree grew so I got crossed fingers for you bud:)

I have a chart of nute problems in a blog under my name that mite help you
hoping for the best for you but unless the leaves were completly dead I wouldnt have taken them all off. but even Charlie Browns tree grew so I got crossed fingers for you bud:)

Removing dead or almost dead leaves is a good thing. Removing most leaves on the plant is bad. I think people go too over board with trimming. Easy does it.

Its showing great growth since I've put it in a hydro system. I've been monitoring the PH a lot before the timer comes on. I have it set for 1am and 1pm and runes or a half hour each. And I also bumped up the co2 along with the temp. New root growth in the past 3 days are great to see. In about another week are so ill switch it to flowering 8pm to 8am hoping the progress keeps up

Removing dead or almost dead leaves is a good thing. Removing most leaves on the plant is bad. I think people go too over board with trimming. Easy does it.

I know a lot of ppl g over board with the triming of the leaves. I just took the almost dead ones off. I took a chance with the cuting because I just topped it two days before. I was curious and then I did a lot of google searching to see the best and worse outcome. In my favo its looking good

It's good that you took the chances of cutting off the almost dead ones, it would really help your plants. Well, let's just hope for the best. I think it would be very helpful to us (new members) if you could post some photos for us to see the progress of your babies. I'll be very excited to see those.
:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom