Quick Air/Water pump question

JRegan420

I plan on doing a 5 gallon bubblegrow, and need to know what size pumps would be good to use. I currently have a 264gph waterpump, but I am assuming that is way too large for just a 5 gallon bucket. I am limited for space inside my cabinet, and 2 5 gallon or 3 3 gallon buckets is all the room I have.

The pump I was looking at was recommended for a 10 gallon aquarium, and was thinking of splitting that into 2 6'' airstones for a 5 gallon bucket...or a 4 inch bubble disc for the 3 gallon.

So....what would the minimum requirements be for the water and air pump for a 5 gallon, and a 3 gallon bucket?

The bubble air pumps are cheap enough,just go to wall marts and get a 2 outlet air pump in the aquarium section . You can use either both air stones of of one pump in one bucket or use one pump with one line into each bucket, of course 2 are better than one but one will work. Just have the water level about an inch and a half below the bottom of your net pots. It's good to put a magic marker line at the water level once you figure out how high the water should be . That way when your growing you can just peek into the bucket to see how much you need to bring it back up.. hope that just didn't confuse you more ...

That pump is fine !! and yes once the roots are either in or near the water you can take out the water pump. That will help keep things a bit cooler. You don't want the water warmer than mid 60s if possible . How many net pots are you going to put in each bucket ? One would be best as they grow you don't want them too crowded. I've seen people use 2 or 3 than move the plants to a single bucket as they get bigger. You can grow a 6' monster in a 5 gal bucket ! Just depends on how much head room you have . Best in my opinion let it veg to about 14-16" than keep it in the dark for 24 hrs than switch to 12/12 lighting, they usually will double in size once you start to flower...

Is a 3 gallon bucket enough room for a good sized single plant? I was thinking of doing 3 plants inside the 5 gallon...and moving them to thier own 3 gallon buckets after they start getting crowded. I also Have a 10ish gallon storage container That I could squeeze into the cabinet, which would probably be enough room for 4 or 5 plants?
I have sooo many options right now...and just enough eqiupment to sneak by(minus the airpump and stones)
what i have:
1 5 gallon bucket with 1 hole cut out in the middle of lid.
1 5 gallon bucket with no holes
2 10 gallon tub plastic storage bins with no holes....lid attached...2 flaps that close together and interlock in kind of a zipper formation.
264 gph waterpump with flood and drain attachments with the res and grow tubs.
a tiny airpump that I found on a 1 gallon mini aquarium I had in my garage

Go with the buckets and yes that would be fine to start a few in a 5 gal and than move them each to a 3 gal ! That would hold as big of a plant that your grow space would allow !!

Sounds like a plan to me....I am going to veg them for about a week or 2...then put them into a 5 gallon bucket. I was thinking maybe do 6 plants in 2 buckets...and finding out which ones are females before I go to the 3 gallon? Since I only have room for 3 3 gallon buckets under the HPS lights. I could always use both light setups I suppose...and have 2 grow areas with multiple buckets!

That sounds like a plan Stan ! The fun begins when you get to yank the males out without tearing up the females !! From what I've read here though you can trim the roots back a good bit when that happens with no ill effect... :peace:

I once grew and harvested 3 plants in a 5 gallon bucket, one giant got 52 inchs tall.

2009_Grow_00332.jpg

see, thats what im shooting for. how much air did you have pumping through the bucket? what size net cups do I need for a 3 plant/1 bucket setup like that? I was actually thinking of trying to design some sort of divider that would keep the roots seperate to a certain depth, to eliminate some of the tangle. Just a stoner invention that crossed my mind, ill probably lose all ambition to make it!
I have the pump that I mentioned above, but it just seems way too big for that setup.(264gph) but then again...Im far from an expert. I am about 2 weeks away from converting to bubbles, and just trying to get all my ducks in a row!

I added a few cfl lights to my cabinet, almost 5k lumens...you think it will make at least a little difference?
100MEDIA_IMAG0210.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0216.jpg

see, thats what im shooting for. how much air did you have pumping through the bucket?

I had two airstones, about ten inches long.

what size net cups do I need for a 3 plant/1 bucket setup like that?
3.75 inch cups, I have a how to with pics in My Tutorial.

I was actually thinking of trying to design some sort of divider that would keep the roots seperate to a certain depth, to eliminate some of the tangle.
IT is OK to let them tangle, please look at the link I posted above, Whacking Males

Just a stoner invention that crossed my mind, ill probably lose all ambition to make it!
I have the pump that I mentioned above, but it just seems way too big for that setup.(264gph) but then again...Im far from an expert. I am about 2 weeks away from converting to bubbles, and just trying to get all my ducks in a row!

I added a few cfl lights to my cabinet, almost 5k lumens...you think it will make at least a little difference?
100MEDIA_IMAG0210.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0216.jpg

Look at this, the pics will tell you everything:

Whacking The Males

Back
Top Bottom