Quick question on LEDs

jaydee808

so this is my first indoor grow... im running 2 600 watt LEDs full spectrum and 2 45w red led bars, my gSc's are in about third week of flower and are getting taller quick. Do u want to put ur lights closer or farther from the canopy during flower? i read somewhere that LEDs won't burn ur plants, but the manual for the lights recommend u move them up higher as you go along, but most research says u want LEDs as close to the tops as possible... im so confused... mahalo for any advice and help

Mahalo? I thought you Hawaiians all grew outdoors in abandoned pineapple fields. ;)

I think they mean move the lights up as the plant gets taller.

LED's have lenses that concentrate the light, so they can most definitely burn a plant, especially right under the center of the lamp where the light is brightest.

Start with the manufacturer's recommendation, then you can slowly, carefully reduce the distance to the top of the plant while carefully watching for signs of too much light.

It varies a lot on the light, but yes LED will burn a plant. When moving closer move a small amount at a time (inch or so) so you can tell when they don't like it and move it back up, damage control so to speak. For me and my lights it is approx 24-30" for Seedlings (if they stretch too much move a little closer), Veg 18-24" and Flower 12-15", again varies on the light a lot so kind of a have to find out where they like it at for you specific light(s).

Mahalo? I thought you Hawaiians all grew outdoors in abandoned pineapple fields. ;)

I think they mean move the lights up as the plant gets taller.

LED's have lenses that concentrate the light, so they can most definitely burn a plant, especially right under the center of the lamp where the light is brightest.

Start with the manufacturer's recommendation, then you can slowly, carefully reduce the distance to the top of the plant while carefully watching for signs of too much light.
lmao... i wish i was back on the islands. growing was so much simpler u can literally throw seeds in the dirt right next to a pineapple and it'll grow just fine. can't do that out here in the desert... thnks for the info bruddah
so this is my first indoor grow... im running 2 600 watt LEDs full spectrum and 2 45w red led bars, my gSc's are in about third week of flower and are getting taller quick. Do u want to put ur lights closer or farther from the canopy during flower? i read somewhere that LEDs won't burn ur plants, but the manual for the lights recommend u move them up higher as you go along, but most research says u want LEDs as close to the tops as possible... im so confused... mahalo for any advice and help

It varies a lot on the light, but yes LED will burn a plant. When moving closer move a small amount at a time (inch or so) so you can tell when they don't like it and move it back up, damage control so to speak. For me and my lights it is approx 24-30" for Seedlings (if they stretch too much move a little closer), Veg 18-24" and Flower 12-15", again varies on the light a lot so kind of a have to find out where they like it at for you specific light(s).
right on for the tip, had em around 20" and moved my lights to 18" today n i'll see how it goes in a couple days... bring em down closer as u suggested. i think these lights are a lot stronger than they look

and i agree, it does depend on the strain, these forum cuts seem to not need too intense of a light cuz ive had the lights pretty far up, along with not much nutrients. i only gave fishbowl water once a week during veg in mG soil, and now i only feed em fish n kelp bloom once a week and everything seems green, dense & healthy.

Back
Top Bottom