Quick question

suparobg

I plan on doing LST training and topping as my plants now have 7 sets of leaves .

So my question is in what order should I perform the the topping and LST training?

Top first or LST first?

Also what part of the day is the best for topping / LST training to start.

when the lights first come on, half way through the 18 hours of light , or closer to the end of the 18 hours of light?

Thanks

Seven sets of leafs ah sounds like 3 node points with out a pic to look at :thumb:

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

So that means 6 side lateral branches & i might just leave it in till you have a couple more defined nodes before topping, but that is just me.

I've played around with topping over the last few grows which at present was done at 4 or 5 th node then lst applied towards mid to late veg the stems should be pretty flexible by then before flipping to flowering.

Topping would also depend on how many times you wish to do this as this act will require some additional veg time for suitable regen growth to take place aka you top once the main apical stem to promote side lateral development then top side laterals again a little bit later at X node point vegging longer whilst lst work is done a few weeks later.

Or top once the main apical stem allow side laterals to develope applying lst mid veg on wards.

A single plant like this could well take up a total space of 60 cm by 60 cm easy & may produce several oZ ?

Just a little teaser :thumb:

PICT000290.JPG
PICT000376.JPG

Ye that one was topped at 5th node to produce 10 side laterals & then those laterals where topped once again producing more cola bearing branches but unfortunately the lowest 2 nodes where removed due to poor growth with lst work done in late veg so leaving me with 6 branches topped with 12 main colas... the side laterals where topped at either the 2nd or 3rd node as to produce additional mass of bud more so on the top 2 nodes to help fill out the center.

That was some clear 3 months of veg tho & 5 oZ dry from that strain grown under a 400 w hps in a 90 cm by 90 cm area which it took up the best part of the space...

It is just working out what is practical for your own needs bud.

here is a few pics they are only maybe 4 or 5 inches tall. but they are quite wide ( close to 12 inches) is that good. they seem short to try and bend it to the side maybe because of its width. i think they are in 3 gallon pots i believe.
strain is feminized dark angel. haven't found a lot of info at all for growing this strain

any advice on topping and LST ing these plants would be greatly appreciated.
i can't upload pics. i ended up putting them in member galleries because that's the only place i could upload to from my phone. i will try from my PC later

alright it finally worked. the plant on the left is smaller right now by quite a bit I am waiting until it grows up more . what should i do with the more bushy one? it has so many leaves already but isn't tall enough to bend.

IMG_325515.JPG
IMG_325515.JPG
IMG_325413.JPG
IMG_325311.JPG
IMG_325311.JPG
IMG_325220.JPG
IMG_325220.JPG
IMG_325119.JPG

I have a 200 watt CFL with a reflector. am trying to get together money for the bulb and ballast for flowering. Someone gave me a Cool Tube with a nice reflector..not hammered aluminum but for free is so awesome.

Top 1st, LST 2nd, top again if desired, and continue to adjust LST as grow progresses.

I like to top at 4th - 5th node. Looks like your plants are about the proper time to top.

They look happy and healthy! Enjoy

I'd give it another couple of weeks before topping as one of girls look slightly small & may be a bit more tricky to top with presicion.

The side laterals will be a little bit bigger by then & could be another few weeks aprox, perhaps less before you start lst work as this will encourage the nodes along the side laterals to develop further growth aka more branches of bud.

Recovery time ah, well might be a tad slow for a few days but it soon picks up.

so the nodes that I am counting are coming off the main stem? then i count upwards in sets of 2? or 2 nodes is one level?
sorry i dont know all the terms. I got to get this right as i was re diagnosed yesterday with NHL in my head again.Just finished chemo in April and now I got to do radiation . There is so much info on the web..

I got a lot of reading to do.

I'd give it another couple of weeks before topping as one of girls look slightly small & may be a bit more tricky to top with presicion.

The side laterals will be a little bit bigger by then & could be another few weeks aprox, perhaps less before you start lst work as this will encourage the nodes along the side laterals to develop further growth aka more branches of bud.

Recovery time ah, well might be a tad slow for a few days but it soon picks up.

The one on the left in the picture of there 2 is the shorter one. The other one is almost twice as tall but both their lives started at the same time. Actually within a day of each other.

if you must top then do that first BUT.... Topping isnt necessary for multiple heads and it just slows veg time down. All you need to do is bend, bend, bend. And you can achieve in 3 weeks veg what would take twice as long topping. Its just not necessary and doesnt give the best results. thats just my opinion but ive grown many many many plants and tried just about everything you can think of.

Let me give you some examples:

vegged 3 weeks. no topping only bending.
20160922_161511.jpg

3 weeks veg also no topping.
20160227_201700.jpg

vegged 2 weeks
2013-03-14_12_11_42.jpg

vegged 2 weeks
IMG_20131011_161615.jpg

vegged 3 weeks
20131229_134638.jpg

vegged 2 weeks
2013-03-04_16_52_02.jpg

All different plants but all short veg times with only bending and pruning. and i always hit no less than 500grams per 600w hps.

If you have a strain that grows really tall then topping can help slow it but i much favour flipping sooner and just continuing to bend. Its less stressfull for the plant and will still produce an even canopy with good numbers.

If you must top then start early and bend after.

so in your opinion how would you go about bending my plants when they are wider than tall. If i try to bend anything it will be in the dirt. Should I wait another week to see if it gets taller?
what do i do with the side of the plant that will be in the coco, based on my pictures of my 2 plants?
how does one know what leaves to prune after tying the plant down?

before I water or after I water do I LST?

if you must top then do that first BUT.... Topping isnt necessary for multiple heads and it just slows veg time down. All you need to do is bend, bend, bend. And you can achieve in 3 weeks veg what would take twice as long topping. Its just not necessary and doesnt give the best results. thats just my opinion but ive grown many many many plants and tried just about everything you can think of.

Let me give you some examples:

vegged 3 weeks. no topping only bending.
20160922_161511.jpg

3 weeks veg also no topping.
20160227_201700.jpg

vegged 2 weeks
2013-03-14_12_11_42.jpg

vegged 2 weeks
IMG_20131011_161615.jpg

vegged 3 weeks
20131229_134638.jpg

vegged 2 weeks
2013-03-04_16_52_02.jpg

All different plants but all short veg times with only bending and pruning. and i always hit no less than 500grams per 600w hps.

If you have a strain that grows really tall then topping can help slow it but i much favour flipping sooner and just continuing to bend. Its less stressfull for the plant and will still produce an even canopy with good numbers.

If you must top then start early and bend after.

Also does anyone know at what height I should begin the flowering process for my specific strain? it is 50/50 indica and sativa. I looked on crop king website but it says nothing about how tall they get ? veg? dark angel feminized .
hard to find info on this strain online

thanks

Hi and welcome to the :420:

take a look at your max height of the grow space (leaving space for light, ) When plant is just below half of that space, it is time to flower.

why didn't you post in the same thread you started before? I read some good advice in there :Namaste:

which thread did i post in before. my memory is horrible. i have a ceiling height of 8 feet minus say 24 inches for the light and 12 inches away from the top of plant.
thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom