Quick Tinctures: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

One of the easiest dosing methods is an alcohol tincture. It’s a quick and easy process to wash the plant material with a strong ethanol alcohol and gently reduce the wash to a tincture concentration.

This tutorial will walk you through the process of making a small-batch tincture. I started with about 4 ounces of alcohol and reduced it down to 1 ounce.

As in all things cannabis, the quality of your produce will greatly determine your outcome. I used spiced rum for this batch at the request of the patient. Use the highest alcohol content you can get for the most efficient extraction.

Enough words. I’ll let the pictures say the rest.

You don’t need to use a hot water bath. There are many ways to evaporate, for example you can pour it into a glass dish and let it evaporate on its own (takes longer) or heat the dish and speed the process up.

Dosing is an individual determination. Start with one drop and wait 15 minutes before trying another. Keep doing that until you’re feeling the effect you desire. Move slowly. You’ll never know how little can be effective if you jump right up to a high dose.

Your endocannabinoid system will thank you for this patience with improved healing potential. :Namaste:

Now you know the dose that works for you. Allow yourself to be flexible. Tinctures make great medicine for breakthrough pain, anxiety, and muscle spasm. A bottle can be discreetly carried and medicine stealthily dosed with a tincture in your pocket or purse. Consider a sample bottle that holds a mere 1 ml for emergency use.

The alcohol tincture will burn if taken on its own, but it’s easy enough to add to a drink or drip onto some food.

Nicely done Sue. I recently made my first tincture, it’s soaking away in the basement for a month. 26 grams of shake and bud soaking in a cup and a half of 100 proof vodka.

That’ll be bitter when you taste it I’d think. With 100 proof I’d have simply done a couple more cold washes, keeping everything as cold as possible every step of the way. Makes a tastier end product.

Alcohol’s a pretty efficient extractor. If you have a distiller you can beef up the proof.

That's a nice tutorial.
Thank You.

I just watched a video where they cooked the oil all the way down to thick concentrate.
Does it make any difference in the long run if there's alcohol left in the tincture (like yours)?

My pleasure. :love:

An alcohol tincture is easier to make and administer than CCO, which is what she cooked hers down to. CCO is like tar, only stickier. Lol! To effectively use CCO you’ll need to combine it with a carrier oil and add liquid sunflower lecithin. We have a thread dedicated to making medicine like this from CCO, if you’re ever interested. :battingeyelashes:

That’ll be bitter when you taste it I’d think. With 100 proof I’d have simply done a couple more cold washes, keeping everything as cold as possible every step of the way. Makes a tastier end product.

Alcohol’s a pretty efficient extractor. If you have a distiller you can beef up the proof.

Yeah a bit of a haphazard first attempt. I have a CB Dream seedling that will be the real test. This current tincture will be for myself to experiment with. Drops under the tongue, mixed into food/drink, and figure out dosing. I want to help my mom deal with insomnia and my pops with pain management.

I tried but the tincture never did it for me. I had to take it all the way down to concentrate tar by cooking off all the alcohol.
But a SMALL dose of that tar will do the trick for hours... The bad part is it made my tolerance is much much higher with continued use. But that's when we do a rest...

@SweetSue , you know if you repackaged a lot of your work and what you've learned, I think it could be profitable in the form of a book or non-published PDF book. "Applicable weed for dummies"... I'm sure you could come up with a better name.
:nomo::ganjamon::cheer::thanks:

I tried but the tincture never did it for me. I had to take it all the way down to concentrate tar by cooking off all the alcohol.
But a SMALL dose of that tar will do the trick for hours... The bad part is it made my tolerance is much much higher with continued use. But that's when we do a rest...

@SweetSue , you know if you repackaged a lot of your work and what you've learned, I think it could be profitable in the form of a book or non-published PDF book. "Applicable weed for dummies"... I'm sure you could come up with a better name.
:nomo::ganjamon::cheer::thanks:

Thanks. :hug: It’s been kind of an ongoing project Bobby. I’ve been studying the ECS and how it interfaces with cannabis for a few years now and it’s finally starting to make enough sense to actually do something with it. Lol!

We’re all gonna be excited when it falls together. It’ll be the biggest art project of my life. :laughtwo:

Tinctures don’t do it for me either. Cobs or bong hits, snowflakes or brownies. I’m pretty heavily responsive to an edible high, and nothing’s as good as a bong hit. :slide:

Thanks. :hug: It’s been kind of an ongoing project Bobby. I’ve been studying the ECS and how it interfaces with cannabis for a few years now and it’s finally starting to make enough sense to actually do something with it. Lol!

We’re all gonna be excited when it falls together. It’ll be the biggest art project of my life. :laughtwo:

Tinctures don’t do it for me either. Cobs or bong hits, snowflakes or brownies. I’m pretty heavily responsive to an edible high, and nothing’s as good as a bong hit. :slide:

While this may work for you, I couldn't use edibles because I have to drive with no notice. I can't wait two hours and figure out the dose is too strong, I'm high, and I cannot drive.

While this may work for you, I couldn't use edibles because I have to drive with no notice. I can't wait two hours and figure out the dose is too strong, I'm high, and I cannot drive.

This is a concern for anyone using THC keshazel. In your case I’d probably suggest very low doses spread over the day to control euphoria. It’s made easier once you find your minimum effective dose.

It’s a pretty decent standard to limit driving to three hours after a dose of THC that impairs you, but it’s also possible to dose THC without impairment, at least with a majority of patients. You control the dose volume and timing, or choose a pathway that doesn’t usually introduce euphoria, like suppositories. Clinical evidence also points to the possibility of balancing the major cannabinoids so CBD exerts more modulation of THC.

Dose volume, cannabinoid ratio, terpene profile, and dose scheduling all make THC easier to dose.

This is a concern for anyone using THC keshazel. In your case I’d probably suggest very low doses spread over the day to control euphoria. It’s made easier once you find your minimum effective dose.

It’s a pretty decent standard to limit driving to three hours after a dose of THC that impairs you, but it’s also possible to dose THC without impairment, at least with a majority of patients. You control the dose volume and timing, or choose a pathway that doesn’t usually introduce euphoria, like suppositories. Clinical evidence also points to the possibility of balancing the major cannabinoids so CBD exerts more modulation of THC.

Dose volume, cannabinoid ratio, terpene profile, and dose scheduling all make THC easier to dose.

Sue, thank you for your comments.

One of the easiest dosing methods is an alcohol tincture. It’s a quick and easy process to wash the plant material with a strong ethanol alcohol and gently reduce the wash to a tincture concentration.

This tutorial will walk you through the process of making a small-batch tincture. I started with about 4 ounces of alcohol and reduced it down to 1 ounce.

As in all things cannabis, the quality of your produce will greatly determine your outcome. I used spiced rum for this batch at the request of the patient. Use the highest alcohol content you can get for the most efficient extraction.

Enough words. I’ll let the pictures say the rest.

You don’t need to use a hot water bath. There are many ways to evaporate, for example you can pour it into a glass dish and let it evaporate on its own (takes longer) or heat the dish and speed the process up.

Dosing is an individual determination. Start with one drop and wait 15 minutes before trying another. Keep doing that until you’re feeling the effect you desire. Move slowly. You’ll never know how little can be effective if you jump right up to a high dose.

Your endocannabinoid system will thank you for this patience with improved healing potential. :Namaste:

Now you know the dose that works for you. Allow yourself to be flexible. Tinctures make great medicine for breakthrough pain, anxiety, and muscle spasm. A bottle can be discreetly carried and medicine stealthily dosed with a tincture in your pocket or purse. Consider a sample bottle that holds a mere 1 ml for emergency use.

The alcohol tincture will burn if taken on its own, but it’s easy enough to add to a drink or drip onto some food.
Thanks for this Sue.. I am going to try it.. You say "Replace cap place in freezer and shake every 30 seconds, for 3 minutes"? not getting this step.
Another Q.. how long did you reduce for.. what was the temp on (lowest, no boil?)

Thanks for this Sue.. I am going to try it.. You say "Replace cap place in freezer and shake every 30 seconds, for 3 minutes"? not getting this step.
Another Q.. how long did you reduce for.. what was the temp on (lowest, no boil?)

Sorry for the confusion Leappy. I meant screw the cap back on the jar so that when you shake it contains the mix.

You reduce either by simply exposing it to air and letting alcohol evaporate naturally or setting it into a hot water bath as I demonstrated. At a simmer the alcohol evaporates off but the preciousness cannabinoids are unharmed.

You reduce it to the concentration you want for your tincture. You’ll have a rough guess at the potential cannabinoid volume, based on the volume of plant material used. All you’re doing in the end is deciding how concentrated you want those cannabinoids in a liquid volume of alcohol. Reduce to that volume, so many cannabinoids to the ml or oz.

I have had a chance to try my recent tincture. 26 grams of shake and trim, although 7 was bud, soaked in 360ml of 100 proof vodka, and it sat for a month.

I started off trying 1teaspoon. Nice buzz, noticeable but not what I would consider “high”. Tried 1 and 1/2 teaspoons a week later, definitely high, with a fairly active buzz to it. So, the tincture is strong enough, with no real bad taste to it when mixed.

I get a feeling that is best described as a combination of an initial euphoric hit from some shatter, and a chill vibe from some hash or cob.

I do get a bit of a waxy film over the tongue after eating the tincture.

Looking forward to trying this again with the CB Dream.

Sorry for the confusion Leappy. I meant screw the cap back on the jar so that when you shake it contains the mix.

You reduce either by simply exposing it to air and letting alcohol evaporate naturally or setting it into a hot water bath as I demonstrated. At a simmer the alcohol evaporates off but the preciousness cannabinoids are unharmed.

You reduce it to the concentration you want for your tincture. You’ll have a rough guess at the potential cannabinoid volume, based on the volume of plant material used. All you’re doing in the end is deciding how concentrated you want those cannabinoids in a liquid volume of alcohol. Reduce to that volume, so many cannabinoids to the ml or oz.
Thanks SweetSue.. just to clarify.. so its just the one shake for 3 minutes.. lol sorry its all very clear except that section.. thanks for the reply :)

Thanks SweetSue.. just to clarify.. so its just the one shake for 3 minutes.. lol sorry its all very clear except that section.. thanks for the reply :)

Sorry to leave this so long Leappy. I shake it once every 30 seconds during that 3-minute period.

Sue I agree smoking it is the most efficient way to get everything out of the plant. I would love to delve into edibles also if I have enough from my grows.

i also vape nic juice. Could I use the tincture to make my own ejuice? It is so expensive to buy and it will be milder on my throat than smoking bud.

Sue I agree smoking it is the most efficient way to get everything out of the plant. I would love to delve into edibles also if I have enough from my grows.

i also vape nic juice. Could I use the tincture to make my own ejuice? It is so expensive to buy and it will be milder on my throat than smoking bud.

E-juice is a different animal that I know nothing about notechvapor. @DrDoob was talking about making his own recently, so I know he looked into it. Maybe he can shed more light or point you in a more productive direction.

Back
Top Bottom