Quick Tinctures: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

Sweetsue, thanks for the great post. Question for you. I've noticed in my tincture research lots of variables in temp and times for decarb. Some suggest less time for thc extraction, and more time for cbd, which burns off some of the thc.
Do you suggest different decarb temps and times for desired results?

Sweetsue, thanks for the great post. Question for you. I've noticed in my tincture research lots of variables in temp and times for decarb. Some suggest less time for thc extraction, and more time for cbd, which burns off some of the thc.
Do you suggest different decarb temps and times for desired results?

Morning 1969gtx, :hug:

In my opinion, it matters depending on your goal. We're learning more and more of the power and importance of acid cannabinoids. They may turn out to be more potent.

But we know THC does things like cause tumor cells to commit suicide, and THC will get you euphoric, so if I’m making a batch for recreational purposes, or if I’m making meds for a cancer patient I’m looking for more complete decarb, and I use a hot oil bath and watch for bubbles.

For everything else I don’t think it much matters how long you decarb. A well-rounded representation of many cannabinoids sounds like the best medicine to me.

If you’d like, I just completed a guide on decarbing, based on the work Of GW Pharma of Great Britain. They worked it all out for us.

Decarbing For Maximum Neutral Cannabinoids (~ 95% conversion)

High CBD chemovar (strain)

Heat 15 minutes @ 221° F (105° C) to dry.

Continue heating either

* 60 minutes @ 248° F (120° C)
* 30 minutes @ 284° F (140° C)

Large Batch (larger than 4 oz)

* 15 minutes @ 221° F (105° C) to dry
* Continue 55-90 min @ 293° F (145° C)

High THC chemovar (strain)

Heat 15 minutes @221° F (105° C) to dry

Continue heating for either

* 60 - 120 minutes @ 248° F (120° C)
* 110 minutes @ 230°F (110° C)

Large Batch (larger than 4 oz)

*15 minutes @ 221° F (105° C) to dry

* Continue 45-55 min @ 293°F (145° C)

Thanks Sue!
I took your info yesterday, and made a quick tincture with 1 oz of heavy trich coated girl scout cookie sugar leaf trim, and some of the tiny nugs lower on the stems. Using 151 everclear, I reduced the 10 oz of luid down to 3 oz. 2 drops really takes the edge off, and 1 more drop 15 minutes later was perfect. Loved it.

Thanks Sue!
I took your info yesterday, and made a quick tincture with 1 oz of heavy trich coated girl scout cookie sugar leaf trim, and some of the tiny nugs lower on the stems. Using 151 everclear, I reduced the 10 oz of luid down to 3 oz. 2 drops really takes the edge off, and 1 more drop 15 minutes later was perfect. Loved it.

Awww.... big smile over here. :hug:

Sue I agree smoking it is the most efficient way to get everything out of the plant. I would love to delve into edibles also if I have enough from my grows.

i also vape nic juice. Could I use the tincture to make my own ejuice? It is so expensive to buy and it will be milder on my throat than smoking bud.
You could use this to make vape juice. Just don’t decarb it. Basically you want to make a QWET instead of a tincture. And low temp evaporate off the alcohol, so I would use only everclear. Once you have a fairly pure concentrate you can mix it into a combination of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin.
PG is a carrier oil that doesn’t alter the taste of the concentrate, but is a little more harsh on the throat. VG is smoother and provides a nice vape cloud, but can alter the flavor of the concentrate.
Play with the ratio to find your preference.
...you could probably do this with BHO also.

You could use this to make vape juice. Just don’t decarb it. Basically you want to make a QWET instead of a tincture. And low temp evaporate off the alcohol, so I would use only everclear. Once you have a fairly pure concentrate you can mix it into a combination of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin.
PG is a carrier oil that doesn’t alter the taste of the concentrate, but is a little more harsh on the throat. VG is smoother and provides a nice vape cloud, but can alter the flavor of the concentrate.
Play with the ratio to find your preference.
...you could probably do this with BHO also.

Thank you so much. I'll have to look up the acronyms when i am ready. I have gallon bottles of vg/pg usp

Thanks Sue, nice tutorial. I have a question. Been making tincs for a couple of yrs now with an aim of achieving a tinc which will bring on a strong high with only a few drops under the tongue. Never managed it yet. Have used ~75% (151 proof), 40% and 48.5% alcohol. The first was definitely the strongest, not surprising given the higher ethanol concentration. Have a 61% in the freezer right now (I usually keep in freezer for 2 wks, shaking once a day). My decarb method is 120deg C 60 mins.

I think my plant material is pretty good - at least when smoked! So I don't think the product is lacking per se. I have tried putting more decarbed weed in an already steeped tinc for another 2 weeks to try to increase potency. I don't reduce my tincs though and this is my question for you, or anyone who can clarify.

My understanding is that the alcohol is what provides the solution for cannabinoids. I thought that if I reduced the tinc by evaporating off the ethanol, I might lose some/most of the thc and therefore potency but you seem to indicate the opposite, although you mention that ethanol is still present after reduction, so I assume you only reduce partly - not to remove all the ethanol? So is the logic that you reduce, but not to completely get rid of the ethanol?

Also - if total reduction (total removal) of ethanol is done, the tinc will have a shorter storage duration I assume? I understand that the ethanol helps keep it from going 'off' or growing bacteria etc.

The really sad thing, is that it’s 2019 and there’s no definitive word on making or using tinctures. The thing that’s been around for CENTURIES! The nerds are finally getting a handle on this, and we will benefit. That being said.
Decarb at 240 degrees for 40 min. To really blow your minds, look up using an instapot to do this!!! Next at EVERCLEAR 189 proof at 1 Oz to 1 gram of top notch decarb weed.
Now you can go 3 ways: 1: shake for 20 min and then put in cool dark place for 30-60 days. Shaking once or twice a day. Strain in cheesecloth, then through 2 coffee filters prewet with EVERCLEAR.
2. Shake for 5 min, place in freezer for 5 days, shaking once or twice a day. Strain. Bottle.
3. Use of heat. I have gas, so I ignored this. But it’s online.
The shelf life is 2+ YEARS!

Thanks Sue, nice tutorial. I have a question. Been making tincs for a couple of yrs now with an aim of achieving a tinc which will bring on a strong high with only a few drops under the tongue. Never managed it yet. Have used ~75% (151 proof), 40% and 48.5% alcohol. The first was definitely the strongest, not surprising given the higher ethanol concentration. Have a 61% in the freezer right now (I usually keep in freezer for 2 wks, shaking once a day). My decarb method is 120deg C 60 mins.

Try decarbing for 110 minutes at 110°C. The Dutch have demonstrated that this is a dependable way to get almost complete decarb.

Kbomb said:
I think my plant material is pretty good - at least when smoked! So I don't think the product is lacking per se. I have tried putting more decarbed weed in an already steeped tinc for another 2 weeks to try to increase potency. I don't reduce my tincs though and this is my question for you, or anyone who can clarify.

That lack of reduction may indeed be what’s holding you back.

Kbomb said:
My understanding is that the alcohol is what provides the solution for cannabinoids. I thought that if I reduced the tinc by evaporating off the ethanol, I might lose some/most of the thc and therefore potency but you seem to indicate the opposite, although you mention that ethanol is still present after reduction, so I assume you only reduce partly - not to remove all the ethanol? So is the logic that you reduce, but not to completely get rid of the ethanol?

In the bud material you’ll have a certain number of cannabinoids available. Alcohol extracts up to 97% of those cannabinoids due to its efficient stripping ability. Those cannabinoids will be diluted by the volume of alcohol you’re using, and a dropper of a tincture made with, say 2 ounces of alcohol will require an increased volume dose to get the same cannabinoids you’ll find in that dropper if you reduce it down to an ounce of alcohol.

You don’t lose the cannabinoids when you reduce, you simply make it easier to get a larger concentration of cannabinoids in a drop of tincture.

Kbomb said:
Also - if total reduction (total removal) of ethanol is done, the tinc will have a shorter storage duration I assume? I understand that the ethanol helps keep it from going 'off' or growing bacteria etc.

Total evaporation/purging of the ethanol leaves you with concentrated cannabis oil (CCO), which can then be used in any number of ways, including dilution with ethanol to the planned concentrations.

If you add liquid sunflower lecithin to the tincture you’ll increase potency by increasing absorbability, and at the same time get a faster onset and a longer therapeutic window.

The really sad thing, is that it’s 2019 and there’s no definitive word on making or using tinctures. The thing that’s been around for CENTURIES! The nerds are finally getting a handle on this, and we will benefit. That being said.
Decarb at 240 degrees for 40 min. To really blow your minds, look up using an instapot to do this!!! Next at EVERCLEAR 189 proof at 1 Oz to 1 gram of top notch decarb weed.
Now you can go 3 ways: 1: shake for 20 min and then put in cool dark place for 30-60 days. Shaking once or twice a day. Strain in cheesecloth, then through 2 coffee filters prewet with EVERCLEAR.
2. Shake for 5 min, place in freezer for 5 days, shaking once or twice a day. Strain. Bottle.
3. Use of heat. I have gas, so I ignored this. But it’s online.
The shelf life is 2+ YEARS!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. :hug: There are so many ways to make a tincture, that I’m not sure there will ever be a “definitive” guidebook to the process.

A tincture is any suspension of the material in a medium designed to assist bioavailability through improved absorption. I’ve made inefficient VG tinctures , and I use an olive oil tincture myself. When I make an alcohol tincture I don’t bother with longer sits than the 3-minute quick washes.

Done properly a quick wash strips the trichome heads within moments, and letting it sit any longer will only increase the chances you’ll pick up waxes, which will interfere with cannabinoid absorption, and chlorophyll, which leaves a nasty flavor to the tincture. If the trichomes strip off in moments, in your opinion, what’s to be gained by letting them sit longer? Have you noted some increase in potency?

Hi Sue, I am looking to make a tincture with FECO, Made a small batch, 10 grams, and wondering if I can add a given amount of oil to 190 proof?
When I get the tincture would like to make some gummy bear med's, can you point me to recipes?

Thanks

GR

Hi Sue, I am looking to make a tincture with FECO, Made a small batch, 10 grams, and wondering if I can add a given amount of oil to 190 proof?
When I get the tincture would like to make some gummy bear med's, can you point me to recipes?

Thanks

GR

You certainly can gr865 just figure out how many cannabinoids of expect to have in your FECO and the concentration you want the tincture to be based on that estimate to determine the volume of ethanol alcohol to use. Ten grams of concentrated cannabis with a basic 15% level of THC will yield approximately 1.500 mg of the euphoric molecules, or 150 mg per gram of the concentrate.

As to the gummy bear recipe, you couldn't be more timely. Dave Groomer just last week shared the recipe he's been using with great success on my off-topic journal. :battingeyelashes:

Dave’s gummies

Hi Sue, I want to make a treatment protocol for Opioid tapering. I am loving reading all of the different threads relating to tinctures and dosing but I want to cut to the chase fast so I was hoping I could get some quick advice please. I was thinking of making a slow release oil tincture and an acute alcohol tincture to pair with it. I have only ever made cannabutter. What would be your best advice in terms of method for the two end products please? My strain selection is sorted, so it is just method I need to select.

Hi Sue, I want to make a treatment protocol for Opioid tapering. I am loving reading all of the different threads relating to tinctures and dosing but I want to cut to the chase fast so I was hoping I could get some quick advice please. I was thinking of making a slow release oil tincture and an acute alcohol tincture to pair with it. I have only ever made cannabutter. What would be your best advice in terms of method for the two end products please? My strain selection is sorted, so it is just method I need to select.

Hmmm....in my mind it’s more about the ingredients. For the slow-release I’d probably go with a simple infusion using EVOO, which would be absorbed into the lymphatic system. This buys more time before the run through the liver.

Including liquid sunflower lecithin seems to give the oils a longer hang time too, so it’s always worth including it in all oils, although I’m making an infused massage oil and I didn’t use it there.

As to the easiest method for an infusion, I’d say it’s hard to beat the Instant Pot. Mine’s been going steady for the last 24 hours, turning out a whole batch of oils. So easy it’s almost sinful. :laughtwo:

Hmmm....in my mind it’s more about the ingredients. For the slow-release I’d probably go with a simple infusion using EVOO, which would be absorbed into the lymphatic system. This buys more time before the run through the liver.

Including liquid sunflower lecithin seems to give the oils a longer hang time too, so it’s always worth including it in all oils, although I’m making an infused massage oil and I didn’t use it there.

As to the easiest method for an infusion, I’d say it’s hard to beat the Instant Pot. Mine’s been going steady for the last 24 hours, turning out a whole batch of oils. So easy it’s almost sinful. :laughtwo:
I was hoping you would suggest EVOO. Thanks. The Instant Pot is super and maybe I will invest down the line.

Hi all, I just purchased an instapot and am trying to sort out a tincture recipe. I see plenty of cannabitter ones but is there one for tincture? And, can I make a tincture with MCT oil and not alcohol? Total newbie here. Thank you, Paula

Back
Top Bottom