Quitting cigarettes with Chantix

Moonjet6

Or trying to...

I'm on day 3 of the Chanix starter pack. It starts you on a very low dose for the first 3 days. Then, you take that dose twice a day for the rest of week one. Then you take twice the amount twice a day for 10 weeks. I may not get past week 2 of 12 if I don't start getting results from it. So far, no change in how I feel, same cravings, etc. Tomorrow I go to two pills a day. My doctor gave me the 2 week starter kit, but after that, I have to pay for refills & it's expensive. Has anyone else succeeded quitting cigs using this drug & if so, when did it start cutting cravings?

I really hope to quit, so I can use my money for necessities of life...Like WEED!!!

Any *experience with Chantix* feedback appreciated.

Thane

Tried it, and was successful to a degree. I hated the crazy dreams that manifested after I got a lot of it in my system. Bottom line, when I wanted a cigarette, I would find a way to get one. I've probably had a carton of smokes in a year, and any time I'm not smoking I'm sucking on a nicotine lozenge. Sucks, but I got myself addicted to the drug, and I like it. I should probably e-cig, but I struggle on the lozenges and every once in a while break down and buy a pack, then hate myself for it. The bottom line is I'm smoking way less than I did for centuries, so that's a win. I heard it said there are two kinds of non-smokers, the one is eternally grateful for breaking his bondage and would never think of smoking again. The other laments the loss of his best friend and hates life for denying him his smoke. I'm the latter.

I tried it. Like NW, I had a bad time with the dreams. A friend of mine, loved the dreams actually got addicted to them. But he has not smoked in 7 years.
Hope it works for you, if not, find a way to do yourself the biggest favor you can and stop..chew gum, toothpick, etc.

I tried the nicotine patches but they didn't work; I couldn't roll em up tight enough to smoke em. :laughtwo: But seriously folks I smoked for 50 years and after many tries I finally quit cold turkey 10 years ago and haven't smoked a cigarette since that day. I tried all the other ways to quit but none of them worked. What finally made me quit was I started wheezing and rattling in my throat in bed trying to go to sleep. After two days of battling that I quit smoking and sucked on lozenges at night to ease my inflamed throat so I could sleep. I never smoked another cigarette after that.

I believe the only way to fully quit smoking is throw the pack in the trash and never buy another one. AND DON'T CHEAT with bumming off your friends. Avoid all your old smoking haunts like bars and pool halls(both of which I spent many years in).

Is it tough? Yeah it's tough. Cigarette smoking may be even harder to kick than heroin, ESPECIALLY quitting cold turkey. But how bad do you want to quit smoking? Quit for yourself and your family. If you have smokers in your family set the example. Don't rub their noses in it but if they ask tell them you quit.

And I'm here for anyone who is battling cigarette addiction. I've been through it. You can trust me to give you all the encouragement I can possibly give. If you need to talk about it, PM me I'll give you my phone number. I'm 72 years old and retired so I'm available almost any time.

Lol, I quit cigs several years ago by replacing my cigarette with a joint every time I had a craving! A few weeks and about a qp later(mexican brick), I was good! :) It took really close to 2 years to not have that craving any more, sometimes I still think about a throwback cigarette from back in the day like a GPC or something but I know better.. :) I can't stand the smell when out and about any more either, it really makes you realize what a nuisance you are to others.

A family member used chantix and got sick often, smoking again as well! Best of luck! :thumb:

I wanted to try chantix but it was hundreds if dollars here so I didn't. I quitfor a year just by going cold turkey and then started back when I started working outside and now I'm back in the routine of quit for 24-48-72 hours and then smoke a pack the next day and hate myself for it. Wish you the best of luck! Kick it for sure and stick with our good friend, weed only!

didnt read the whole list of replies but if that stuff your on is the same as CHAMPIX we get in the uk I personally have no bad experience with it but a close friend read up and refused the course on what he read. Then a few years later my transport manager was on week 8 of it and killed himself. Apparently if your depressed etc it can magnify those feelings a lot. be careful

I smoked for 38 years - at least a pack a day - used Chantix and quit smoking - I tried straws to chew on, I tried tooth picks, but they wouldn't last, finally cut the tongs off of plastic forks and they worked thankfully. stick with it and it can get done. good luck, it is worth it believe me.

Vaping ended-up being my solution to spending so much money & wrecking my lungs smoking. I still smoke weed & that is enough... the vapes are an amazing pacifier for replacing cigarettes. I'm enjoyin' the hell out of it.

Back
Top Bottom